Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
This street which was commenced in 1723 took its name from the mill shown in the manorial map in St. Pancras, Part II. In Rocque's Map of London (1746) can be seen the first building of the Middlesex County Hospital (1745–6) which stood on the south side of the street until it was moved to its present site at the corner of Cleveland Street and Mortimer Street. St. Pancras Female Charity School was established at No. 12 (south side), where Nicholas Marcey was rated for the school in 1770. It was removed to its present site in Hampstead Road in 1790.
John Goodge granted building leases of land on the south side in 1723–4 but building does not appear to have been completed until 1762. (fn. 33) The ratebooks show that nearly all the houses on both the north and south sides of the street were occupied by the year 1770. The area north of Windmill Street, between Charlotte Street on the west and Whitfield (then, John) Street on the east, and reaching north to within a little of the site of Colville Court was sold by William Franks to Henry Bingley in 1773. (fn. 34) Excluded from the sale were the brewery in John Street (shown on Tompson's map), two houses in Windmill Street at the corner of Whitfield Street (Nos. 32 and 33), "lately built by William Weston," and other parcels which were no doubt already occupied by dwellings.
Nothing of particular interest survives to-day of the 18th-century houses.