Survey of London: Volume 21, the Parish of St Pancras Part 3: Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1949.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(Formerly Little Charlotte Street)
Charlotte Place, or, as it was then, Little Charlotte Street, is shown on Tallis's view of Goodge Street as guarded by a row of posts. It is a paved court connecting Goodge Street with Rathbone Street (at the corner of what was Bennett Street) and seems originally to have been designed as two rows of 3 storey houses. Several of these have been rebuilt and are now 4 storeys in height and have shops below. The numbering is consecutive, beginning from the north, next the corner house in Goodge Street on the west side. There are seven houses on this side, No. 7 adjoining the Duke of York public house in Rathbone Street. The numbers then return along the east side (10–15). There is nothing of particular interest to note in the buildings.
From the leases in the Middlesex Land Register, it appears that William Franks was concerned in this building scheme and that a number of the houses were erected by Thomas Holmes, bricklayer, and others by Thomas Green, joiner. The period of erection covered the autumn of 1766 and the following year. (fn. 35)