Survey of London: Volume 4, Chelsea, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1913.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
In this section
CXXXVI.—THE DUKE OF YORK'S SCHOOL.
It is not intended to give a detailed description of these buildings, as they fall just within the 19th century, but the site cannot be altogether passed over. There was formerly here a house in which lived the Cadogan family, the lords of the manor, and later Sir Walter Farquhar, Bt., from whom it was purchased by the Government for the erection of the Royal Military Asylum, or, as it is more familiarly called after its founder, The Duke of York's School. The buildings, of which the main front faces west, with two long wings to the east, was designed by John Sanders, the foundation stone being laid in 1801. The material used is, in the main, stock brick, but there is a stone portico of the Doric order in the centre of the main block, and the curved garden walls which stretch out on either side have archways surmounted by flags and trophies carved in stone. The institution was founded to provide for the children of soldiers' widows. In 1823 the girls were removed to Southampton, and in 1909 the boys left Chelsea for their new premises at Dover.
The school buildings, the chapel (erected in 1824 at the corner of King's Road and Chesterfield Street) and the grounds are now  in use as the Headquarters of the 2nd London Division of the Territorial Force. The brick wall is being pulled down along the King's Road and railings placed in its stead.
In the Council's ms. collection are:—
Photograph of Chapel.
Photograph of the main block from the west.