Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXXVI.—No. 44, BEDFORD SQUARE.
Ground landlord and lessee.
Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee, Philip Morrell, Esq., M.P.
General description and date of structure.
On 20th November, 1777, a lease (fn. 1) was granted of the tenth house westward from Charlotte Street, on the south side of Bedford Square. This was No. 44, Bedford Square.
The front room on the first floor has a ceiling of good design (Plate 96), and in the room behind the staircase is a small white marble chimneypiece, carved in low relief, and decorated with inlay of Siena marble.
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repair.
The occupiers of this house, according to the ratebooks, were as follows:—
1782–84. Thos. Hibbert.
1784–94. T. S. Jackson.
1794– Henry Gregg.
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2) Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).