No. 46, Bedford Square

Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'No. 46, Bedford Square', in Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II, (London, 1914) pp. 179. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol5/pt2/p179 [accessed 24 April 2024]

In this section

LXXXVII.—No. 46, BEDFORD SQUARE.

Ground landlord and lessee.

Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessees, Messrs. Royds, Rawstorne and Co.

General description and date of structure.

The lease (fn. 1) granted on 20th November, 1777, of No. 45, Bedford Square, refers to that house's eastern boundary as "a messuage lately erected."

No. 46 forms the western half of the central feature on the southern side of the square. It will be noticed in the photograph (Plate97) that an unusual expedient has been adopted by introducing a central pilaster.

The staircase is of stone, with wrought-iron balustrade of coupled plain bars, alternating with balusters of scroll work. The handrail is of mahogany, and the lighting is obtained by an oval-shaped lantern.

The principal doors are of mahogany, with finely marked panels, and the metal fittings are silver plated.

There are three carved white marble chimneypieces. In the case of that in the front room on the ground floor (Plate 98), coloured marble is introduced as a Greek fret in the frieze, and as plain strips at the sides, and the central panel is carved to represent a Cupid sleeping. That in the front room on the first floor (Plate 98) has two three-quarter columns with coloured marble shafts supporting Ionic capitals. The frieze is finely carved, the central panel representing three Cupids at play. The chimneypiece in the rear room on the same floor has also good carving in low relief with a central panel.

Condition of repair.

The premises are in good repair.

Biographical notes.

The following are the names of the occupiers of the house during the 18th century, according to the ratebooks:—

1782–90. Samuel Castell.

1790–96. Andrew Reid.

1796– Jas. Bailie.

The Council's collection contains:—

(fn. 2) Exterior, with that of No. 47 (photograph).
(fn. 2) Marble chimneypiece in front room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. 2) Marble chimneypiece in front room on first floor (photograph).
Marble chimneypiece in back room on first floor (photograph).

Footnotes

  • 1. Middlesex Registry Memorials, 1777, VII., 252.
  • 2. Reproduced here.