Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXXXVIII.—No. 47, BEDFORD SQUARE.
Ground landlord and lessee.
Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee, Frederick W. Lanchester, Esq.
General description and date of structure.
On 20th November, 1777, a lease (fn. 1) was granted of the seventh house westward from Charlotte Street, on the south side of Bedford Square. This was No. 47, Bedford Square.
In plan and arrangement this house is similar to No. 46. The doorway is well shown on Plate 99. A photograph of the ceiling above the staircase is given on Plate 100. The front room on the first floor contains a remarkable ceiling, a portion of which is shown on Plate 101. Another of similar design is in the front room of No. 31. The carved wood chimneypiece (Plate 100) in the same room has a central panel representing a sacrifice (bull before an altar).
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repair.
The occupants of this house are given by the ratebooks as follows:—
1782–89. John Raymond.
1789–99. John Raymond Barker.
1799– Peter Pole.
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2) Entrance doorway (measured drawing).
(fn. 2) Ornamental plaster ceiling and lantern light over staircase (photograph).
(fn. 2) Carved wood chimneypiece in front room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 2) Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).