Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XCII.—XCIII.—Nos. 68 and 84, GOWER STREET.
Ground landlord and lessees.
Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G. The lessee of No. 68, is Miss Janet McKerrow.
General description and date of structure.
Gower Street was formed at the same time as Bedford Square, and many of the houses on the west side as well as some on the east still present their original fronts.
No. 68, Gower Street, is provided with a bold and simple wood door case (Plate 106) of excellent proportions, with Roman unfluted Doric, columns and ornamental fanlight. It is a very good example of late 18th-century design.
The door case (Plate 106) to No. 84, Gower Street, was of simple and tasteful design, well adapted for its purpose, and typical of many others in the neighbourhood.
Condition of repair.
No. 68, Gower Street is in good repair.
No. 84 was demolished in 1907.
The occupants of these two houses during the 18th century were, according to the ratebooks:
|1789–1800.||Sir John Scott.|