Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XCI.—No. 51, BEDFORD SQUARE. (fn. 1)
Ground landlord and lessee.
Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee, the French Consulate-General.
General description and date of structure.
On 16th January, 1777, a lease (fn. 2) was granted of the third house westward from Charlotte Street, thus corresponding to No. 51.
In the vestibule of this house is fitted a small chimneypiece with a sculptured marble panel.
The staircase is similar to that of No. 50, and the friezes beneath the ceilings have moulded plaster designs.
The front room on the ground floor has a white marble chimneypiece with Ionic pilasters, the rear room on the same floor having one of simpler design in the same material. The chimneypiece of the front room on the first floor is also simply treated in white marble, with three-quarter Ionic columns. The ceiling (Plate 105) is decorated in moulded plaster work of good design.
The rear room on the same floor has a white marble and green inlay chimneypiece and a decorative plaster ceiling.
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repair.
In 1778 John Boldero was in occupation of the premises. His name appears in the ratebooks until 1791, when it is replaced by that of Mrs. Boldero.