Survey of London: Volume 5, St Giles-in-The-Fields, Pt II. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XC.—No. 50, BEDFORD SQUARE.
His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.
General description and date of structure.
On 16th January, 1777, a lease (fn. 1) was granted of the fourth house westward from Charlotte Street, on the south side of the square. This was No. 50.
The premises are a good example of the general planning of houses on this side of the square. The fanlight (Plate 104) to the screen between the vestibule and hall is characteristic of others in this district. The staircase is of stone with mahogany handrail and wrought-iron balustrade of coupled bars, alternating with one of scroll design, as has been described in other cases. The end of the staircase is semi-circular in plan. The ceiling is of ornamental plaster work, pierced by a large oval lantern. The front room on the first floor has a good decorative ceiling.
The rear room on the same floor has an ornamental ceiling with designs in the angles of the central portion, representing drama, painting, music, and agriculture.
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repair.
The first occupier of the house, according to the ratebooks, was "Mr. Serjt. Glynn," who was resident here in 1778. John Glynn was born in Cornwall in 1722. He entered the legal profession and was called to the Bar in 1748. In 1763 he was created serjeant-at-law, and the following year Recorder of Exeter. He enjoyed a great reputation for legal knowledge, which he placed, in many cases gratuitously, at the disposal of the adherents of Wilkes, in the legal proceedings connected with the latter's agitation. In 1768, and again in 1774 he was elected as one of the representatives of Middlesex in Parliament. In 1772 he was elected Recorder of the City of London. He died in 1779.
In 1779 William Lushington was at No. 50, Bedford Square, and remained until 1781, when he was succeeded by John Hunter, whose tenancy lasted over the end of the century.
The Council's collection contains:—
Ground and first floor plans (measured drawing).
(fn. 2) Fanlight in entrance hall (photograph).
Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).
Ornamental plaster ceiling in rear room on first floor (photograph).