Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LIV.—FAIRLAWN, No. 159 HAMMERSMITH ROAD
Adjoining the Red Cow is still to be seen a large brick house known as Fairlawn, the front of which is boarded up, the property being for sale. A water-colour drawing by Mr. Philip Norman (Plate 115) shows the house as it appeared a few years ago. The entrance door alone is visible now. The door-case has a fluted frieze with a ram's head at each end. The entablature is supported by columns with Ionic capitals encircled by leaves below the volutes. The chief interest of the house lies in its association, according to Faulkner, (fn. 1) with Dr. Charles Burney. The house, which is of late 18thcentury date, was evidently at one time of considerable importance, but latterly it was occupied by John Barker's Auction Mart. Some seventy years ago it was the residence of a family of the name of Weigall.
Dr. Charles Burney was the second son of Charles Burney, the celebrated musician and historian of music. He was born at Lynn in Norfolk, 4th December, 1757, and educated at the Charterhouse and Caius College, Cambridge. He was celebrated throughout Europe for his classical attainments, though his writings have not succeeded in maintaining his reputation at the very high pitch which he enjoyed in his own day. His wonderful classical library was, after his death, purchased by the nation and deposited in the British Museum. He was brother of Fanny Burney, afterwards Madame d'Arblay. Faulkner states that he opened a school at Fairlawn in 1786 and seven years later removed to Greenwich. He died at Deptford in 1817.
Old prints, drawings, etc.
(fn. 2) Fairlawn is shown in the water-colour drawing of the Red Cow Inn by Mr. Philip Norman.