Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LX.—VINE COTTAGES, SHORTLANDS
In a little footway which runs south from Hammersmith Road and ultimately joins Rose and Crown Lane stands a row of four two-storey brick cottages facing south and dating from the early part of the 18th century. The lower sash-windows have their old broad flush frames, while in the bedroom windows horizontal sliding sashes have been fixed. The cottages are roofed with old tiles, the ends being hipped, and there is a long sloping roof at a lower level at the back. The group is picturesquely overgrown with a large vine, and on a board at the east end is inscribed "Vine Cottages, Shortlands." (fn. 1)
In the Council's ms. collection is:
(fn. 2) Photograph of the south front.