Parishes: Saxendale

Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Parishes: Saxendale', in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, (Nottingham, 1790) pp. 285-287. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/thoroton-notts/vol1/pp285-287 [accessed 22 April 2024]

In this section

SAXENDALE.

Saxeden.

Ulviet and Unspac had two Manors here before the Conquest, rated to the Geld at twelve Bovats. The Land then four Car. (fn. 1) There Roger de Busli, whose it became afterwards, had in Demesne two Car. five Sochm. five Vill. three Bord. having two Car. There was a Church, and one Acre of Meadow. The value continued 25s. as it was before in the Time of King Edward the Confessor.

(fn. 2) Malgerus de Saxendal, in the first Year of King John, had a Trial for the Advowson of this Church, against Mr. William Testard, who pleaded he was instituted by the Archbishop of York, but Malger pleaded he held it of the Honor of Tykehill, and the Jury found that he presented the last Parson, and so he had his Presentation accordingly. (fn. 3) This Family of Saxendale held of the Lovetot's, who had it in the Time of Henry the First, and then Malgerus de Saxendale was a Witness to William de Lovetot's foundation Charter of the Priory of Radford, by Wirksop. Some of them it seems, gave this Lordship to the Priory of Shelford, (fn. 4) who held it of Matilda de Lovetot, in the Time of Henry the Third; and afterwards of her Posterity, the Lords Furnivall, for the Service of a Knight's Fee.

(fn. 5) Hugh de Chaisneto gave to God and St. Peter, of Thurgarton, and the Canons there serving God, one Bovat of Land, in Saxendale, which William de Adelington held there of him: this Gift was for his own Soul, and Lecia his Wife's, and William Carpentar's, his Lords, and Susannah his Wife's; and the Lady Albrea Byset's, and his Father's and Mother's, &c. Henry Biset confirmed this Gift made by Hugh de Caysneto; which Confirmation he made also for the Souls of William Carpentar his Father, (fn. 6) and of Susanna his Mother, and Albreda Biset's his Wife.

Adam, Prior of Thurgarton, and the Convent passed it away to John, Son of John de Leyk, and his Heirs, paying 12d. a year, which with some other Lands which that Family held here of the Priory of Shelford, continued long with it. (fn. 7) John de Leyk, 17 E, 2. died seized of one Mess. 72 Acres of Land, and four of Meadow, in this Place, held of the Priories of Shelford and Thurgarton: his Son and Heir, John, being then above fifteen Years old. (fn. 8) After the Death of William Leek, 37 H. 6. it was called a Manor, and said to be held of the Prior of Shelford, his Son John Leek, being then found his Heir.

(fn. 9) The Jury, in 32 E. 1. found it not to the King's Loss, if he granted John de Bouchevaler, to give a Messuage in Saxendale to the Priory of Shelford.

Here was very antiently, and is yet a great Turne, kept for the Honor of Tikhill, whither most of the Tenants of that Honor, in this Side of the Wapentake, have used, and still do resort.

(fn. 10) John de la Cressover, Bailiff of Tikehill, 29 E. 1. at the great Turn or Court of Saxendale, next after Michaelmas that Year, claimed that the Frank-Pledges of Elleton, ought to have presented the Prior of Blith, for not appearing there, but the Inquest found that they ought not to present him, nor he to appear: there were then present, besides the Inquest in the said Court, Richard de Whatton, Roger his Brother, Simon de Sibethorp, Fulco de Hotot, William his Son, John de Outhorp, Mr. John de Colston, Raph his Brother, Robert, Son of William de Colston, William Waryn, &c.

After the Priory of Shelford had the Church of Saxendale, the Provision for the Cure was very little, and since that Priory came to the Family of Stanhope, with which it yet continueth, they had— to swear it was but a Chapel of Ease, g, and that Saxendale was ever Parish to Shelford, and so to save a small Allowance they pulled down the Church, and some of the few Inhabitants now left, have taken up Stone Coffins, and still use for Troughs for their Swine. The Lordship is lately inclosed.

[Throsby] Saxendale

CONSISTS now of only three or four dwellings of any consequence. In a note at the bottom of a page in an old copy of Thoroton, it informs us, that in 1669, one of the stone coffins mentioned by Dr. Thoroton, as having been taken from the scite of the church, or chapel, of Saxendale, was then to be seen at a Mr. Foster's, in that place, used as a trough.

Footnotes

  • 1. Lib. Dooms.
  • 2. Pl. Mich. 1 Joh. rot. 14. in dorso.
  • 3. Test. de Nev. Mon. Angl. vol. 2. p. 51.
  • 4. Test de Nev.
  • 5. Reg. de Thurg, p. 54.
  • 6. Esc. 17 E. 2. n. 64.
  • 7. Esc. 37 H. 6.
  • 8. Esc. 32 E. 1. n. 118.
  • 9. Reg. de Blia. p. 5.
  • 10. Ex. Relat. J. Greene Jenis.