Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
Besides that Part which was of the Soc of Bingham, which was discharged in public Payments for three Bov. (if the two Manors of Hoge and Helga were not here also,) of Roger de Buslie's Fee. (fn. 1) The most considerable Part of this Township was of the Fee of Goisfrid de Halselin, and of the Soc of Shelford, and was rated to the Geld at nine Bov. The Land being esteemed three Car. before the Conquest. There afterwards were nine Sochm. four Bord. having four Car. and four Acres of Meadow.
The Posterities of these nine Sochmen continued their Shares in several Hands.
(fn. 2) The Chapter of Southwell held eleven Bovats of Land in Newton, of the Fee of Robert de Everingham, (to whom some of Alselin's Fees descended, as in Laxton may be noted) in pure Alms, and one in Saxendale, all which Robert de Lexington, the great Judge in the former Part of the Reign of Hen. the Third, and sometimes one of the Canons there, bought and gave when he founded his Chantrys, as in Southwell may be seen.
Ales, the Daughter of William Bellard of Herdeby, gave certain Lands here, and in (fn. 3) Bingham, and Carcolston, to her Nephew Walter de Boyvil and his Heirs, reserving 40s. per Annum Rent for her Life, which were inherited in the Time of Edw. the First, by Maud the Wife of William, Son of Roger de Thurverton, and Margaret her Sister, as in Thoroton is already noted.
(fn. 4) The Family of Basily of Radclive had divers Lands here, and in Shelford, which Thomas Baseley in the Year of our Lord 1317, gave to Sir John de Loudham, Knight, and Alice his Wife, and the Heirs of the said Sir John, in Exchange for all the Lands which the said Sir John de Loudham had in Lambecote and Cotegrave, which Lands in Newton descended to the Posterity of the said Sir John, as in Loudham may be observed.
(fn. 5) A Fine was levied, 24 E. 3. between John de Sibethorp, and Alice his Daughter, Quer. and William de Brinkelee, Deforc. of one Mess. and six Bovats of Land, with the Appurtenances in Newton by East Bridgeford, whereby they were settled on John and Alice, and the Heirs of the Body of Alice; with Remainder to Robert de Sibethorp, and the Heirs of his Body; Remainder to William de Sibethorp, and the Heirs of his; Remainder to Cecily, Daughter of Robert de Sibethorp, and hers; Remainder to John, Son of William de Bingham, and his; Remainder to Richard, Brother of John, Son of William de Bingham, and his; Remainder to the right Heirs of John de Sibethorp.
(fn. 6) Henry Young, 8 E. 3. by Fine likewise settled two Mess. three Boy. of Land, five Acres of Meadow, &c. in this Town on his Sons Henry, William, Robert, Roger, and Alice his daughter successively after the same Manner.
(fn. 7) John Burton, 9 H. 5. offered himself against John Salyard, concerning a Plea of one Mess. thirty Acres of Land, and three of Meadow, with the Appurtenances in Newton.
What was belonging to Bingham, or Shelford, or Stoke Bardolf, came to the Family of Stanhope, as in those Places may be noted, and the Earl of Chesterfield accordingly enjoys.
Another Share of Newton is now his Grace the Duke of Newcastle's, during Life, whose Trustees in his Absence, during the Rebellion, sold it to . . . . . Clarke, in which is Southwell Share held for 52s. per Annum Rent.
About a fifth Part of the Tythes (whereof the Land is still known to be of Bingham Fee, and in that Parish) belong to the Rectory of Bingham; the Earl of Chesterfield hath the rest,
(fn. 8) Decemb. 7. 38 H. 8. the Lands in Newton by the Trent, belonging to the Priory of St. Katherine's, by the Walls of Lincoln, were granted to Robert Brokeliby and Nicholas Girlington, and their Heirs.
IS a hamlet to Shelford, except one house and about 50 acres of land in the occupation of Mr. Walker, which belongs to Bingham parish. Newton lordship contains about 600 acres of land, partly old, and partly new inclosure. About 300 acres, now the property of Mr. Deverill, a very respectable farmer and grazier at this place, were sold in 1750, by a Mr. Clark, to the Rev. Richard Kirkby, rector of Gedling, and then curate of Bingham, who inclosed it about the year 1760. Mr. Kirkby dying about the year 1782, having survived a numerous issue, except his eldst daughter, it descended to her; and she sold it in 1788, to Mr. Deverill.
Lord of the Manor, the Earl of Chesterfield, who is also a land-owner. Mr. Samuel Pogson of this place, and Mr. Neal, of Flintham, own portions.
Mr. Kirkby, some years before he died, planted many willow-trees near the source of the spring, which crosses the Foss-way into the neighbouring fields; they now form a very pleasing appearance.