Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Of the Soc of Newark here was as much as was Charged to the Dane-geld at six Bovats and an Half, which, together with what is mentioned in Chelingtone, Scireston, Eldeston, Stoches, Holton, Cotintone, and Barnebye, of that Soc, (fn. 1) is reckoned to make for that Tax three Car. and an Half (but the particulars amount to somewhat more than the gross sum). The Land was 10 Car. and an Half in all these places. And there were seventy-seven Sochm. with four Bord. having fifteen Car. and an Half, and in them one hundred and sixty three Acres of Meadow.
(fn. 2) Walter de Amundevill, eldest Son of Jolanus and Beatrix his Wife, Daughter of —Paganell of West Rasin in Lincolneshire, gave the Church of Winthorp, with that of Kinerby, and some others to the Hospital of Ellesham in that County, which his said Mother Beatrix began to Found, and also three Mills situate upon Trent, without the Town of Winethorp, and one in it, which Thurstan the Carpenter and his Heirs ought to hold of the said Hospital for 12d. per Annum, and one Toft, with a Bovat and Half of Land, which Ranulf Small (parvus) held in the same Town; which Gift William de Amundevill his next Brother confirmed, and after him Elias de Amundevill the third Brother, to whose Deed were Witnesses Raph de Amundevill his Brother, and Adam his Brother also, Jorslenus, and William de Evermo his Nephews, Raph de Amundevill, Son of his Brother Raph, &c.
(fn. 3) William de Amundevill gave the Monks of Rufford Licence to make a Fishing in his Land, and in Trent between Wimbeltorpe and Muscam, with all the Liberty he should use himself, if he would have made one, and would that all his Heirs should know that he gave it for a Sin which he did against them, and that they should remit it, and grant him and his Heirs to be partakers of all the good which they should do.
(fn. 4) William Clement Prior of Ellesham was a Witness to his Deed.
Alice, the Daughter of Elias de Amundevill in the Sheriff of Lincolneshire's Account 2 Joh. ought twenty Marks for having recognizance whether Elias her Father gave her the Town of Wintertorp to Marry her, so that she was seized of it in her Father's Life Time, and after his Death, till Joslenus her Brother disseised her while she was in his custody. This Jolanus, Son of Elias de Amundevill, (fn. 5) confirmed the Hospital of Ellesham; he married Ermetrida, Niece to the Earl of Aumerle, and his Son Peter de Amundevil left a Daughter and Heir called Ermetrida, married to William de Dive, whose Son John Dive, mentioned in Balderton, left his Estate to his two Sisters and Heirs there named, which were married to the two excellent Families Bussy and Deisney, some of which are yet in being, though much lessened in Estate.
This last mentioned Wintertorp may be in Lincolneshire, for this Wynetherpe is said to be an Eschaet, (fn. 6) and was of 12l. yearly Value, and that the Bishop of Lincoln (Lord of Newark) held it of the Gift of King John, with which Place it hath usually gone. Howbeit certain it is that the Prior of Ellesham was Patron, here of this Rectory, in whose Time it was Valued at 10l. It is now 7l. 11s. 0d. 0b. in the King's Books, and his Majesty Patron. It is now reported to be annexed to Newark in the new Charter, Feb. 8. 1672.
IS a pleasant situation within two miles of Newark, formerly held by the Lord of Newark, the Bishop of Lincoln, as Thoroton informs us. The lordship is now in the hands of Roger Pocklington, Esq. who purchased it of Dr. Taylor. It is enclosed, but not an extensive domain.
In Winthrop are about 30 dwellings. The church was dedicated to All Saints.
The present church was not long since built of brick, and stands on an elevated plot of ground, on the opposite side the road to the mansion, the abode of Mr. Pocklington.
Patron Roger Pocklington, Esq. who purchased the advowson of the Corporation of Newark, to whom it had been granted by King Charles II. in 1672. Archiepisc. 7s. 8d. Archidiac. 2s. Pens. sol. pri. Elsham 6s. Val. in mans. cum two oxgang, ter. per ann. 1l. 1s. in decim garb. &c. King's Books, 7l. 11s. 0½d. yearly tenths 15s. 1¼d. The present incumbent is the Rev. William Rastall. Archbishop of York presented in 1778.
The seat of Roger Pocklington, Esq. is distinguished from the more common edifices, the abodes of English gentry, by the variety of objects that surround it, particularly on your approach to it from Newark. A temple form (fn. 7), elevated above the circumjacent hills, and happily contrasted from the other edifices which may be said to form part of this dwelling, appears lovely, even to the incurious, or inattentive traveller. The plantations, which are laid out with a degree of taste, at a nearer approach, although chiefly of a modern age, abound in variety, and seem fostered by a chaste hand.
It should appear that Mr. Pocklington has more than ordinary attachment to this seat by the improvements which have taken place, and those about to be made in the adjacent grounds: a considerable portion of land, I could perceive, was preparing for field delight, in additon to the present. Can a man, possessed of affluence, be occupied in works of a less harmless, or of a more pleasing nature? He bids, as it were, a new creation rise at his command, subject at his will and guidiance.
Hence you have a delightful view of Newark, in which the church and the ruined castle are fine objects at this distance. In other points of view, in walking in the grounds about this mansion, the Trent and the seat of the Earl of Lincoln, on its bank, at Kellham, are not the least which catch the eye of those who delight in field scenery (fn. 8)