Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


Robert Thoroton, 'Lindeby', in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, ed. John Throsby( Nottingham, 1790), British History Online [accessed 13 July 2024].

Robert Thoroton, 'Lindeby', in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Edited by John Throsby( Nottingham, 1790), British History Online, accessed July 13, 2024,

Robert Thoroton. "Lindeby". Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Ed. John Throsby(Nottingham, 1790), , British History Online. Web. 13 July 2024.

In this section


In Lindeby three brothers had (before the Normans came) three Mannors, which paid to the Dane geld as one carucat and an half. The Land was for two plows or two car. (fn. 1) There afterwards William Peverell had three car. and twelve vill. and two bord having five car. There was a Priest, and a mill 10s. pasture wood one leu. long, and one leu. broad. In King Edward the Confessours time this was valued at 26s. 8d. but when Doomsday Book was made at 40s. (fn. 2) In Paplewic five bovats of Land lay to this Mannor.

William Peverell (the younger) granted to God and the Church of the Holy Trinity at Lenton, and his brethren there serving God, the Town which is called Lyndeby, and whatsoever he held in it, viz. Lands tilled and untilled, in wood and in plain, in meadows and pastures, with the Church of the same Town, and the mill of Blaccliff, for the treasures which his mother bestowed on that Church, and he compelled by very great necessity took; and for all other excesses, in which he, by the instinst of the enemy against that Church, imprudently had exceeded, contrary to the command of his father, and the bargin which he made with him, and with his mother.

(fn. 3) William Abbat of Leycester, and Robert Prior of Kenelingwrd, by the authority of Pope Alexander 3, made an agreement that Robert the Priest of Edingla, who gave the Monks of Lenton five marks, should hold the Church of Lyndeby while he lived secular, paying that Priory half a mark of silver yearly at Martinmas in the name of a Pension, which one Henry the Clark was also to have if he over-lived Robert, paying the like Pension.

William Cursun, Clark, obliged himself to make it a whole mark pension to the Covent of Lenton, when there should be a solid establishment made of the Parsonage and Vicarage, which Adam the Chaplain was to acquit him of, so long as the said Adam continued in secular habit.

(fn. 4) The Town of Lyndeby was an escheat of the Kings of the honour of Peverel of Nott. and Will. de St. Michael of London, had one moyety of it of the gift of King John, paying yearly in the Kings Chamber a Furr of Gris, and that half was worth 7l. 6s. per annum; and Peter de Lettris, and his brother had the other half by the Kings Counsel, as long as the King pleased, which was of the same value.

(fn. 5) The King, 36 H. 3, held half of it, and it was valued at 7l. 14s. 100s. of old; and 46s. of old increase, and 8s. of new. (fn. 6) Robert de Marys held the other half by occasion of the Wardship of Laurence, heir of Laurence de St. Michael, and paid a Furr of seven Tyres (Fessis) yearly.

The Jury in 5 E. 2, found that John the son of Thomas Metham held, by reason of Sibyll his wife, as of the inheritance of the said Sibyll, and joyntly with her of the King in capite, the moyety of the Town of Lindeby by the Rent of a skin of gray Furr, and one mess. and two carucats of Land in Willey (mentioned in Beauvale) by the services of 10l. to the Exchequer, Thomas, son and heir, of the said John Metham, being then twelve years old.

(fn. 7) The King granted the moyety of the Town of Lindeby to one Laurence de Seyntmychell, and by him entred Sir William de Hameldon, and enfoessed his son, and Sibyll de Metham, who in her widow-hood enfeoffed William de la Pole, who gave it to the King in exchange for another Mannor (viz. Mitton in Yorkshire.) King Edward the third, gave it to Sir Thomas de Bourne, Anno 1342, (fn. 8) and he sold it again to Will. de la Pole, and enfeoffed Edmund his son, in the year 1345.

(fn. 9) About 6 H. 6, Thomas Hunt died seized of this moyety, and left it to descend to his daughter and heir Joan, the wife of John Hikelinge, Esquire, she being then above thirty years of age.

By an Inquisition taken at Nott. the Thursday after Palm-Sunday, 23 H. 7, before Sir William Perpoint, Knight, Edward Stanhope, Knight, and Raph Agard, I find that John Strelley of Lindeby, died seized of it, 4 March, 2 H. 7, leaving his son and heir Nicolas Strelley above twelves years old. Elizabeth his mother, relict of the said John, the next year after was married to James Savage, Esquire. From Strelley it went to Staveley, by the marriage of a daughter.

(fn. 10) There was a Recovery, 20 Eliz. of the Mannor of Lindeby, wherein William Savyle, Esquire, and Martin Earle, Gent. claimed against John Savyle, Gent. who called to warranty Thomas Stavely, Esquire. 'Tis said Mr. Savile, and Sir John Byron, made an exchange between this and Oxton.

(fn. 11) John, second son of Sir Nicolas de Strelley, married Joane, the daughter and heir of John Hunt (which I suppose should be Hikling) of Lyndeby, and by her had John Strelley of Lindeby, who by Elizabeth the daughter of William Mering, Esquire, had Sir Nicolas Strelley, Knight, who married Elizabeth, daughter and one of the heirs of Sir Brian Fitz-Randolph, Knight, but died without issue; he had four sisters, Anne, the wife of Richard Bingham of Watnow, Isabell, the wife of— Stavelly, Elizabeth, of—Cade; and Jane Strelley died unmarried.

The Kings moyety was commonly in the hands of great men, and usually went with Maunsfeild, as in that place will appear.

(fn. 12) Thomas le Hayer or de le Hayes, and John le Colyer, took sixty-eight acres of the Kings soil in (fn. 13) Lindeby Haye, of Richard de Oysell, whose sons and heirs Hugh le Colyer, and Robert de le Hay, sold them to Sir John de Crombewell, who gave them to Newstede Priory, before or about the beginning of Edward the third, upon which 25s. 4d. was reserved yearly to the Crown, and by the Exchequer men was exacted twice over till the Prior got a Supersedeas dated Aukeland, 12 Oct. (fn. 14) 10 E. 3. That Priory had also one hundred and eighty acres of waste in Lindeby Hay, granted by King Edward the first, Mary 20, in 22 E. 1, for 4l. per annum; and in the 26 E. 1, were also arrented of Richard de Oysell the Kings Approver, and measured by the perch of twent-four foot according to the Assise of the Forest. The same Priory, 4 E. 3, had one hundred and twenty acres, and diverse other parcels, the Rents whereof they got by degrees discharged and released.

(fn. 15) That which belonged to Newstede King Henry the eighth, passed with that Monastery to Sir John Byron, whose posterity still enjoyeth it, being all or most of it now the inheritance of the Honourable William Byron, Esquire, son and heir of Richard Lord Byron.

The Church, viz. the Advowson of the Rectory was granted, 6 Aug. 2 E. 6, to Robert Strelley, and Frideswide his wife.

(fn. 16) The Rectory of Lindeby was 81. when the Prior of Lenton was Patron. 'Tis now in the Kings Books 4l. 9s. 9d. ob. value, and William Byron, Esquire, Patron.

In the South Quire of Lynby Church is a Tomb of — Strelley.

On the South side is:—1. Strelley impaling Mering. 2. A Bend and File of three Labels impaling quarterly a chief Cheque, and a Saltier; and three Lozenges in Fesse, and a Spread Eagle, and a Saltier engrailed. 3. A Bend quartering a Saltier engrailed; on an Inescutcheon a File of three Labels. 4. Strelley with a Roundell (as was the first also) impaling a Chief indented quartering a Bend, and a File of three Labels. On the North side of it Strelley (with a Roundell) impaling a Dragon erected, and Strelley, viz. Paly of six.

In a little North Window:—Az. a Fesse Dancy, and Billette Or, Deincourt.

In a West Window in the Steeple, Strelley, viz. Paly of six Ar. and Az. with the Roundell; and over the Porch in stone, Strelley without the Roundell.

In the North Quire Wall:—In this little Chappell, under the two Gravestones with Crosses, lyeth George Chaworth, Esquire, and Mary his wife, the daughter of Sir Henry Sacheverell, Knight, late Farmers of this Mannor place and demesnes of Lynby, between whom was issue three sons, and three daughters; which George died 22 Aug. 1557, and Mary his said wife died 15 Jun. 1562. On whose Souls God have mercy.

[Throsby] Linby

Land is owned by the Honourable Frederick Montague, Esq. open field and contains about 1500 acres. The village consists of about 90 dwellings.

The Church which is dedicated to St. Michael, is small, set off with a little tower, in which are three bells. Nothing here material besides what is mentioned by Thoroton.

Patron, the honourable Frederick Montague, Esq. Incumbent, Robert Stanley, R. K. B. 4l. 9s 9d. halfpenny. Clear yearly value 43l. Archiepisc. pro Syn. 4s. Archidiac pro Prox. 6s. 8d. Val in mans. ibidem cum 2 bov. ter. per ann. 13s. 4d. in dec. garb. &c. Lord Rochdale presented in 1689, William Stanhope, Esq. 1723, Frederick Montague, Esq. 1762.


  • 1. Lib. Dooms.
  • 2. Pegust. de. Lent. p. 41.
  • 3. Ib.
  • 4. Test. de Nev.
  • 5. Esc. 36 H. 3, n. 13.
  • 6. Test. de Nev.
  • 7. Regist. de Novo loco, p. 80.
  • 8. Claus. 4 E. 3, m. 33, in dorso.
  • 9. Esc. 5 H. 6, n. 11.
  • 10. Pas. 20 Eliz. rot. 145.
  • 11. Ex Coll. J. B.
  • 12. Regist. de Novo loco, 38.
  • 13. Ib p. 5, 7.
  • 14. Ib. p. 70.
  • 15. Par. 7, pat. 2 E. 6
  • 16. Mss. J. M.