Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1796.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


Robert Thoroton, 'Egmanton', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, (Nottingham, 1796), pp. 216-219. British History Online [accessed 19 June 2024].

Robert Thoroton. "Egmanton", in Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, (Nottingham, 1796) 216-219. British History Online, accessed June 19, 2024,

Thoroton, Robert. "Egmanton", Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby, (Nottingham, 1796). 216-219. British History Online. Web. 19 June 2024,

In this section


In Agemanton, before the Normans became lords, were two manors, which Turthetell and Ulmar had, which were charged in the geld (or assessment of those times) as four bovats and an half, and a third part. (fn. 1) The land being then found to be three car. There afterwards Roger de Busli had three car. and thirteen vill. and nine bord. having eight car. there were two mills 30s. The value in the Confessours and Conquerours time was 4l. having Soc in Hedune, Uptone, Gamelstune, and in Misne.

(fn. 2) In the time of king Henry the first, there were two brethren of the kings family (or court) stout men, whereof one was earl of Clare, the other of Arundell, and the third brother of them was Nigellus de Albanei, then a young man of good disposition and great hope, carrying the kings bow, who, when he was made knight, for his honesty, was enfeossed by king Henry the first, first of all, of Egmanton in the forest of Sherwode, with the parks and appurtenances, which town, after a little time, Nigellus gave to his special friend Robert de Aivile, which the king hearing, inquired of the said Nigellus if it was so, who answered it was, and that now the king had two honest knights where before he had but one.

This Nigellus by his mother was a Mowbray, and had the estate of Robert de Molbray, whom William Rufus took at Bamburgh, and beheaded at Winsore, and seised his (counties or earldoms of Northumberland and Nottingham, and Marshall, and other lands and possessions, and disinherited his progeny, so that the posterity of this Nigellus de Albany, who married Gundreda, the daughter of Hugh de Gurnay in Normandy, and had in that country six score enfeossed knights, and as many in England, had the sirname of Mowbray, Roger Molbray his son being the first, who by Alice de Gant had Nigellus de Molbray, who married Mabilia, daughter of Edmund earl of Clare, and got on her four sons, William de Molbray, Robert, Philip, and Roger, &c. Of this family did that of D'aivile hold this manor.

(fn. 3) It is noted that of the posterity of this Robert de Aivile, from the time of St. William arch-bishop of York, viz. 18 Steph. there had been two Roberts, and two Johns de Eyvill, who had the advowson of the church of Egmanton by inheritance, until the time of king Henry the third, that John de Eyvill gave it to the priory of Newstede in Shirewood, to which it was appropriated by Pope John the 22d. and by the licence of king E. 2.

(fn. 4) It seems that John de Eyvill, Robert de Vypont, John de Vescy, William Marmion, Adam de Newmarch, Baldwin Wac, Robert de Wilgheby, Robert de Wolrington, Richard de Sees, were rebells with Simon de Montefort earl of Leicester, and hindred Robert de Nevil the sheriff of Yorkshire from executing his office, from Michaelmas 48 H. 3. until the battel of Lewes, when William de Bozale was made sheriff of that county by the said Simon de Montefort.

(fn. 5) John de Eyvill, 7 E. 1. by the judgement of the court was to hold to him and his heirs the manor of Egmanton, against Clementia de Lungevillers, to whom he had given the manor of Barneburgh in Yorkeshire, for her life, in exchange. John de Eyvill had free-warren granted here, 9 Jun. 9 E. 1. who had a son of the same name his heir, who married Margaret, who was latter wife (after his decease) of Adam de Everingham lord of Laxton, who claimed divers liberties here in her right, 3 E. 3. (fn. 6) and married his son Adam de Everingham to Joane de Eyvill her daughter and heir of this manor, (fn. 7) which by a fine, 17 E. 2. (fn. 8) between John de Eyvill, and Margaret his wife, and Joane their daughter, querents, and Hugh de Scalton, deforc. was settled on the said John and Margaret, and Joane, and the heirs of Margaret, excepting one mill, two hundred and two acres of land, twenty three of meadow, sixty of wood, 100s. and 20d. rent in the same manor; to which fine several persons put to their claims, as Thomas de Burton of Egmanton, and Heldreda his wife, and John their son, William, son of Lawrence de Weston, Thomas Deyvill of Egmanton, Robert Fourmery, John Fourmery, Thomas del Celer, William del Celer, and Thomas Trompour, theirs.

(fn. 9) There having sometimes before been suits about common of pasture in the East Park, Adam de Everingham lord of Egmanton, sold to Henry Deyvill a certain place of wood beneath his park of Egmanton, called the East Park, to cut down the wood thereof, according as it was assigned by certain bounds, in which park sir Thomas de Lungvillers, the prior of Newstede, Thomas Deyvill, Henry Deyvill his son, Robert Formery, and all the commonality of the said town had common for all manner of cattel, who all, 15 E. 3. agreed that sir Adam should inclose it with an hedge for three years, in which time they would only common with their horses after Michaelmas; but after the term of three years the sence to be thrown down, and they to common in it as before.

(fn. 10) This manor, 24 E. 3. by a fine between William de la Pole the elder, and John de Chesterfeild, plaintiffs, and Adam de Everingham of Laxton, chr. and Johan his wife, deforc. was settled on the said Adam and his heirs, with warranty from Joane and her heirs. It descended to the heirs of them both, as in Laxton may be observed, and afterwards was — Northwoods.

Sir Richard Stanhop of Kampton (descended of Lungvillers) had the moyety of the manor of Egmanton, which about 14 H. 6. (fn. 11) descended to his heir John, son of his son Richard Stanhop, as in Kampton may be noted.

(fn. 12) Sir John Basing, knight, about 24 H. 6. was seised of certain lands here: Alice, wife of Thomas Macworth, esquire, was his sister and heir.

The great manor was the inheritance (and perhaps is) of — Popham, by the marriage of the daughter and heir of sir Sebastian Harvey, late alderman of London.

The Park now called Egmanton Hall, was purchased and built by Nicolas Poutrell, serjeant at law, and by him given to Thomas Markham of Allerton, his cousin by their mothers, whose heirs sold it to Francis Williamson, esquire, once sheriff of this county, whose nephew Francis Williamson, clark of the assizes, had it by his uncles gift, but since it was the honourable Francis Pierponts, and if Alisamond his widow be dead, who had it in joynture, is Robert Pierreponts of Nott his son's.

(fn. 13) The owners of Egmanton town in 1612, are said to be Gildert earl of Shrowsbury, — Mackworth, gent. Hardolph Wastneyes, esq; Henry Wright, Francis Thornehill, John Sudbury, William Ireland, John Gascoigne, Robert Pople, Richard Lawe, John Bale, John Gilbert, Thomas Sudbury, Mrs. Cardinall, widow, Edward Mason, gent.

(fn. 14) There was, 13 E. 1. a pleading for a mess. in Egmanton, which the parson claimed as free almain, and Henry Burdon, as lay fee, but it was not then determined for defect of jurors.

(fn. 15) John Bellowe, and John Bellowe, July 6, 37 H. 8, had licence to alienate the rectory and church of Egmanton, with the appurtenances, (sometimes belonging to the priory of Newstede in Shirwood) to Robert Thornehill, esquire, and his heirs.

(fn. 16) The vicarage of Egmanton was 5l. when the prior of Newstede was patron:— 'Tis now 4l. 6s. 0d. 0b. value in the kings books, and sir Brian Broughton is patron.

[Throsby] Edmonton. Egmanton

The land here is in the possession of the duke of Newcastle, and others. It is open field.

The village contains only about 40 dwellings. The church also, is small, with a squat tower like many others in this part of the county. It has three bells, and is dedicated to St. Mary.

Patron, in 1783, Pendock Neale, esq. Incumbent, Rev. David Holt, V. K. B. 4l. 6s. 0d. ½. Clear yearly value in Bacon, 25l. 0s. 0d. Archiepisc. 4s. 0d. Pens. rec. annuat. de Mon. de Newstead in pecum. 13s. 4d. Val. in mans. cum. ter. gleb. 13s. 4d. in dec. lan. agn. &c. Thomas Boughton, esq; presented in 1694. John Neale, gent. 1718. Pendock Neale, esq; 1752.


  • 1. Lib. Dooms.
  • 2. Mon. Angl. vol. 1. 775. vol. 2. 193.
  • 3. Regist. de Novo loco, p. 224.
  • 4. Com. Hill. 3 E. 1. ro. 5.
  • 5. Pl. de Banc. Pasc. 7 E. 1. ro. 5.
  • 6. Quo War. 3 E. 3. ro. 18 in dors.
  • 7. Regist. de Novo loco, p. 267.
  • 8. Fin. apud Ebor. Trin. 17 E. 2. viz. à die S. Joh. Bap. in 15 dies.
  • 9. Reg st. de Novo loco p. 268.
  • 10. Fin. lev. Trin. 24 E. 3.
  • 11. Esc. 14 H. 6. n. 28.
  • 12. Esc. 24 H. 6.
  • 13. Lib. libere ten.
  • 14. Pl. de Banc. Trin. 13 E. 1. ro. 12.
  • 15. Pat. 37 H. 8. par. 8.
  • 16. Mss. J. M.