Zeal-Monachorum - Zennor

Page 742

A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


In this section


Zeal-Monachorum (St. Peter)

ZEAL-MONACHORUM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Crediton; containing 649 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Yeo, and comprises 2946 acres, of which 589 are common or waste. The soil in the southern part is a red fertile loam, and in the northern productive corn land; the surface is hilly, and sandstone of good quality is quarried for building, and for repairing roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 8. 9., and in the gift of Mr. Tombs: the tithes have been commuted for £419, and the glebe comprises 46 acres. The poor have some small bequests.

Zeal, South

ZEAL, SOUTH, a chapelry, in the parish of South Tawton, union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford, Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Oakhampton. This is a decayed borough and market-town: the market has been long disused, but there is a fair for cattle on the Tuesday following the martyrdom of Thomas à Becket. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is now a school-house.


ZEALS, a tything, in the parish, union, and hundred of Mere, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Mere; containing 588 inhabitants. This place lies on the borders of the county of Somerset, and on the road from Bradford to Wincanton. At Zeals-Green is a church dedicated to St. Martin, built on a site given by the Duke of Somerset, and consecrated in October 1846. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron, the Vicar of Mere.

Zennor (St. Sennar)

ZENNOR (St. Sennar), a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from St. Ives; containing 1025 inhabitants. This place is situated near the western extremity of the Bristol Channel, by which it is bounded on the north; the line of coast is in some parts alternated with small bays and with projecting headlands, one of which is named Gurnard's Head. The parish comprises 3184 acres, of which 2106 are common or waste. It has quarries of granite used for building, and some tin-mines, but the substratum of the greater part is a species of moorstone. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 5. 0½.; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriator, George John, Esq. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe contains 13 acres, with a house, built by the incumbent, the Rev. Henry Stoneman. The church is an ancient structure. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans. At Kerrow was formerly a chapel, of which portions still remain.