A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
GODWICK, an ancient parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 11 miles (N. N. E.) from Swaffham. The living is united to that of Tittleshall. Of the church, only the tower remains; it stands near the Hall, now a farmhouse, but formerly the residence of the celebrated Judge Coke, and also remarkable as the birthplace of Admiral Sir William Hoste.
Goitrey, county of Monmouth.—See Goytrey.
GOITREY, county of Monmouth.—See Goytrey.
GOLBORN-BELLOW, a township, in the parish of Tattenhall, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 7 miles (S. E.) from Chester; containing 129 inhabitants, and 504 acres of laud. The soil is clay.
GOLBORN-DAVID, a township, in the parish of Handley, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 6½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Chester; containing 84 inhabitants. It comprises 643 acres of land, of a clayey soil.
GOLBORNE, a township, in the parish of Lowton, union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Newton-inMakerfield; containing 1657 inhabitants. A family of the local name possessed lands here in the reign of Henry III., and subsequently the manor was held by various families, among whom were the Fleetwoods and Leghs: Thomas Legh, Esq., is now the principal landowner. The township comprises 1570 acres, of which 325 are arable, and nearly all the remainder pasture; the surface is gently undulated, and the soil half clay and half clay-loam. Coal exists; and there is a large and a smaller cotton-mill, affording employment to many of the population. Golborne Hall is occupied by Nathan Newbould, Esq. By a private act passed in 1845 to amend a private act in 1841, it is provided that if a church be built in Golborne, the place is to become a separate parish and rectory. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £158, payable to the rector of Winwick. The Independents have a place of worship. A school, with a house for the master, was built in 1791, by William Street and others, who endowed it with the interest of £120, for which six children of the township are taught.—See Lowton.
GOLCAR, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Huddersfield; containing 3598 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 1560 acres, of which the surface is boldly undulated, rising in steep acclivities from the banks of the river Colne: here are several quarries of excellent stone. The manufacture of coarse woollen-cloths and padding has long been established, and that of articles of the finest texture has since been introduced; the machinery of the numerous mills is propelled by 12 water-wheels and 12 steam-engines. The Huddersfield and Manchester canal skirts the township, which contains various hamlets scattered on the sides and summit of Golcar Hill. Commodious baths have been erected at a mineral spring on the course of the Colne, the waters having been found useful in rheumatism and other disorders. The chapel, now a district church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1829, at an expense of £2865, defrayed by the Parliamentary Commissioners, with the exception of £500 raised by subscription; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and contains 950 sittings, of which 430 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Huddersfield; net income, £150. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Upon the high ground at the western extremity of the township was formerly a rocking-stone, so celebrated as to have been marked in old maps; and it is said there were other Druidical remains.
Goldcliff (St. Mary Magdalene)
GOLDCLIFF (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Newport, division of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Newport; containing 282 inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the Bristol Channel on the south, where the cliff whence its name is derived rises abruptly from the extremity of a marshy flat to a height of about 100 feet above the level of the sea; it is a single rock, consisting of a horizontal stratum of limestone, under which is a body of hard brown grit, full of yellow mica. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 2. 6.; patrons and impropriators, the Provost and Fellows of Eton College: the great tithes have been commuted for £18, and the vicarial for £17. 5. 6. The church was founded and liberally endowed in 1113, by Robert de Chandos, who, by the desire of Henry I., gave it to the abbey of Bec, in Normandy, upon which a prior and twelve Black monks were placed here. In 1442, after the suppression of alien priories, the establishment was made a cell to the abbey of Tewkesbury; and at the Dissolution it possessed a revenue of £144. 18. 1.: some slight remains still exist.
GOLDEN-HILL, a village, in the township of Oldcott, parish of Wolstanton, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, hundred of Pirehill, county of Stafford, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from Burslem. This place is situated at the northern extremity of the Potteries, on the main road to Manchester and Liverpool; and the population is chiefly employed in the coal and iron mines which abound in the district. A church was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield in 1841; it stands on elevated ground, and is built of blue brick, in the Norman style, with a spire: patron of the living, Smith Child, Esq., of Rownall Hall, by whom it is endowed. A national school accommodates 300 children.
Goldhanger (St. Peter)
GOLDHANGER (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Thurstable, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Maldon; containing 520 inhabitants. This place is pleasantly situated on the road from Maldon to Colchester, and is bounded on the south by the river Blackwater, creeks of which come up to some of the farms; it consists chiefly of low marshy ground, having a light gravelly soil, but producing good crops, especially of barley. A small pleasure-fair is held on the Monday and Tuesday in Whitsun-week. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 19. 4½., and in the gift of the Rev. Thomas Leigh: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises 27 acres, with a house. The church is a small ancient building of stone, with a handsome tower, and the western window has some interesting details. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. The Romans are supposed to have effected a landing from the river Blackwater; and some mounds in the parish show that they encamped here.
Goldington (St. Mary)
GOLDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Barford, union and county of Bedford, 1¾ mile (N. E. by E.) from Bedford; containing 509 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road to Cambridge, and is bounded on the south by the river Ouse, comprises about 2700 acres. The surface is varied, rising in one part to a considerable elevation; the soil is generally rich, and in the lower grounds of remarkable fertility. The village is situated round an open green of about 20 acres in extent. The living is a vicarage valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 4½.; net income, £186; patron, the Duke of Bedford; impropriator, W. S. Addington, Esq. The church is a plain ancient structure. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. In the reign of Henry II., Simon Beauchamp founded a monastery in honour of St. Paul, and removed hither the Black canons of the priory of St. Paul's, Bedford: at the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at £343. 15. 5. The remains are still in a tolerable state of preservation.
Goldsborough (St. Mary)
GOLDSBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Coneythorpe and Flaxby, 459 inhabitants, of whom 239 are in the township of Goldsborough, 2¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Knaresborough. The parish comprises by computation 3230 acres; the surface is level, but the scenery, especially by the side of the Nidd, is very picturesque: the village is situated north of the river. Goldsborough Hall, built in the reign of James I., is the property of the Earl of Harewood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of his Lordship; net income, £291. The church, an ancient structure with a tower, is supposed to have been in connexion with the lodge of the Knights Templars of Ribston, and contains two remarkable monuments of members of that order. Elizabeth Byerley, in 1763, bequeathed the dividends of £562, three per cents., for distribution among poor widows. There are a spring efficacious for scorbutic disorders, and a petrifying well.
GOLDSHAW-BOOTH, a township, in the chapelry of Newchurch-in-Pendle, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Colne; containing 748 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Gouldesshey, Over and Nether, comprises 1165 acres, and is the central township of Pendle Forest. The common appellation of "Booth" seems to point to the sheds of the cowherds in the respective vaccaries. A court baron is held at Higham twice a year for the whole forest, which is a copyhold fee of the honour of Clitheroe. The chapel of Newchurch is situated in the township.—See Newchurch.
Golsby, county of Lincoln.—See Goulsby.
GOLSBY, county of Lincoln.—See Goulsby.
GOLTHO, a parish, in the W. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Wragby; containing, with the chapelry of Bullington, 159 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Lincoln to Horncastle and Louth, and comprises 1355a. 7p. The living is a donative curacy, the stipend of which is voluntary; patron and impropriator, C. Mainwaring, Esq. The church is a small neat edifice of brick, erected on the site of the original structure; the chancel, which is the sepulchral chapel of the Granthams, formerly proprietors, is ornamented with their armorial bearings in stained glass. There is a chapel of ease at Bullington.
GOMERSAL, a township, in the parish of Birstal, union of Dewsbury, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. W.) from Leeds; containing 8030 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlets of Spen, Great and Little Gomersal, Birstal, and Birkenshaw, lies on the roads from Leeds to Huddersfield and Halifax, and comprises 3200a. 33p.; the soil is fertile, and the substratum abounds with coal, of which there are several extensive mines in operation. The surface is varied, and the scenery of pleasing character. The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen-cloth, blankets, and worsted pieces; and a considerable number in the spinning of worstedyarn. The parish church of Birstal is situated in the township; and a church has been also erected at Birkenshaw, which is noticed under that head. A church district named Gomersal was endowed in 1846 by the Ecclesiastical Commission: the extent is about 900 acres, embracing a population of 3000; and the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately. There are places of worship for Independents, Moravians, and Wesleyans.
GOMERSHAY, a tything, in the parish of Stalbridge, union of Sturminster, hundred of Brownshall, Sturminster division of Dorset, 1 mile (W.) from Stalbridge; containing 65 inhabitants.
Gonalston (St. Lawrence)
GONALSTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 4¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Southwell; containing 113 inhabitants. The family of Heris were owners of the place for many generations. Of this family was Sir John de Heris, who in 1235 made an agreement with the prior of Thurgarton, to allow him common pasture for fifty head of cattle, and fifty swine, without pannage; or, in a fertile year of acorns in Thurgarton wood, the number was to extend to sixty. William de Heris, in the reign of Henry III., founded an hospital here called the Spital, "to the honour of St. Mary Magdalene;" the successive rectors of the parish were masters, and formerly preached their induction sermon upon its ruins. Gonalston comprises 1250 acres of arable and pasture land in about equal portions, interspersed with 106 acres of wood and plantations. The Dover beck separates it from Lowdham. Gonalston Cottage is a handsome mansion, the seat of John Francklin, Esq., sole proprietor of the soil. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 2.; net income, £324; patron, Mr. Francklin. The church is a small structure, with a tower; it contained some effigies of crusaders, but they were either destroyed or removed when the edifice was diminished in size. There is a small endowed school.
GONERBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Hatcliffe, poor-law union of Caistor, wapentake of BradleyHaverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 27 inhabitants.
Gonerby, Great (St. Sebastian)
GONERBY, GREAT (St. Sebastian), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (N. N. W.) from Grantham; containing 1049 inhabitants, and comprising 2850 acres. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the gift of the Vicar of Grantham, with a net income of £100: the church is an ancient structure, and has an embattled tower surmounted by a spire. Here is a school endowed with £22 per annum, chiefly bequeathed by R. Kellam, Esq., and Earl Brownlow. Some land is let in small lots of garden-ground at low rents to the poor, and £10 per annum are distributed in bread and money.
GONERBY, LITTLE, a suburb of Grantham, in the union and borough of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, ½ a mile (N. W.) from Grantham; containing 1968 inhabitants. This place and Manthorp form a township, comprising 1209a. 1r. 16p. of land, mostly the property of Earl Brownlow. It, with Grantham and Spittlegate, was first lighted with gas in 1833, by a company established with a capital of £6000.
Good-Easter, Essex.—See Easter, Good.
GOOD-EASTER, Essex.—See Easter, Good.
Gooderstone (St. George)
GOODERSTONE (St. George), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Stoke-Ferry; containing 500 inhabitants. It comprises 2781a. 1r. 20p., of which 1313 acres are arable, 1360 pasture, meadow, and heath, and 71 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 12.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £133, and the impropriate, which belong to A. H. R. Micklefield, Esq., who is also patron, for £250; the glebe comprises 23 acres. The church exhibits various stages of the English style, and has a square embattled tower; the nave is divided from the chancel by the remains of a beautifully carved screen, and on the south side of the chancel is a double piscina. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and the poor have 56 acres of land, which were allotted for fuel at the inclosure,
Goodleigh (St. Gregory)
GOODLEIGH (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Barnstaple; containing 335 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Yeo, and comprises about 1000 acres, of which 100 are common: stone of a soft texture is found, but not applied to any useful purpose. There are several cherry-orchards, the soil being peculiarly favourable for cherries. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 19. 4½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Harding, whose tithes have been commuted for £190, and whose glebe comprises 35 acres. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, contains two monuments to the Acland family. Here is a place of worship for Independents.
Goodmanham (All Saints)
GOODMANHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 1¼ mile (N. E. by N.) from Market-Weighton; containing 316 inhabitants. This place is of very remote antiquity, and is supposed to have derived its name from the great Pagan temple of Northumbria, in the immediate vicinity of which, the high priest Coifi, being converted to Christianity, was baptized by Paulinus, who in 630 founded the church, which was built with the materials of the British temple. The site and extent of the latter seem clearly marked out by numerous artificial mounds called the Howes. Goodmanham is supposed by some antiquaries to have been the site of the Roman station Delgovitiæ, but this is disputed by others. The parish comprises by computation 3000 acres, of which 2500 are arable, 300 meadow and pasture, and about 200 plantation; the soil is a light loam resting upon chalk, the surface is undulated, and the scenery very picturesque. Stone is quarried for the roads. The village is pleasantly situated on one of the acclivities on the western side of the Wolds, upon the road leading from Market-Weighton to Driffield. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 11. 8.; net income, £477; patron, J. Clark, Esq. The tithes were commuted in 1775, for 721 acres of land, and there are 25 acres of glebe at Middleton; a handsome glebe-house was erected by the Rev. William Blow, in 1824. The church is a venerable structure in the early Norman style, with a square tower, and has four fine arches, and a curious and very celebrated font. At Eastrop was formerly a chapel of ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Over a chalybeate spring, much esteemed for its virtues, a house has been erected.