A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Harrietsham (St. John the Baptist)
HARRIETSHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourn, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Maidstone; containing 675 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2463 acres, of which 400 are wood, 500 pasture, and about 30 in hop plantations; the remainder, with the exception of 70 acres of heath and roads, is arable land in profitable cultivation. A fair for pedlery and toys is held on the 24th of June. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10., and in the gift of All Souls' College, Oxford: the incumbents' tithes have been commuted for £580, and a rent-charge of £42 is paid to an impropriator; the glebe comprises 62 acres. The church has a handsome tower, and is principally in the early English style. Almshouses for six persons of Harrietsham, and six decayed members of the Fishmongers' Company, were founded in 1642, by Mark Quested, citizen of London; and Sir Charles Booth, in 1792, bequeathed certain stock, now producing £64 a year, for teaching children, with a further sum for other charitable purposes.
HARRINGTON, a small sea-port and a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2 miles (S.) from Workington; containing 1934 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 2153 acres, whereof about 1944 are arable and pasture, and 46 woodland. It comprehends the old village of Harrington and the new town, the latter of which, a thriving port, formerly termed Bella-port, is situated at the mouth of a stream called the Wyre, which falls into the Irish Sea. The harbour was considerably improved at the expense of the late J. C. Curwen, Esq., whose father constructed the first quay, from which period its trade has been gradually increasing. In 1760, not a single ship belonged to the port. There are now upwards of 40, averaging 122 tons each, which sail quite up to the town, loading and unloading before the houses, and chiefly employed in conveying coal to Ireland; and besides these, about 500 sloops annually take in lime, which is brought from the adjoining parish of Distington, for Scotland. Ironstone and fire-clay abound in the parish, and much of both was formerly exported to Scotland and Wales. The town consists of several streets; there are two shipwrights' yards, a rope-walk, and vitriol and copperas manufactories. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 7. 3½.; net income, £250; patron, H. C. Curwen, Esq. The church is a neat structure, upon an eminence a little westward from the old village. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship; and a school-house has been erected.
Harrington (St. Mary)
HARRINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, hundred of Hill, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Spilsby; containing 107 inhabitants. The surface of the parish is undulated, and well wooded with oak, ash, elm, larch, &c.; the soil is generally sandy, in some parts chalky, and most kinds of agricultural produce are raised. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 10½., and in the gift of Robert Cracroft, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £243, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church contains three monuments to the Coppledickes, and a recumbent effigy of a Knight Templar.
Harrington (St. Peter)
HARRINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Rothwell; containing 198 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the small river Ise, and comprises 2526a. 2r. 30p., of which 430 acres are arable, 64 woodland, and the remainder pasture: limestone is extensively quarried for burning into lime, and for building purposes. The male inhabitants are employed in agriculture, and most of the females in making pillow and frame lace. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 9. 7., and in the gift of the Hon. Charles Tollemache: the tithes have been commuted for £530, and the glebe comprises 19 acres, with a house. The church is a handsome structure, in the decorated and later English styles. A day school is supported by the rector, and Sunday schools by subscription. Harrington gives the titles of Baron and Earl to the family of Stanhope.
Harringworth (St. John the Baptist)
HARRINGWORTH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Uppingham; containing 358 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Welland, which partly separates it from Rutlandshire; and consists of 3332 acres, of a productive soil. The manor belonged to the barons De la Zouche, who, till within the last three centuries, resided here; and remains of their mansion are perceptible in the present manor-house. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 15. 10.; net income, £205. 16.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church is a spacious and handsome structure in the decorated and later English styles; the screen and rood-loft between the nave and the chancel are still remaining, and in good preservation. A school in connexion with the National Society is maintained by some property bequeathed about a century since, and now yielding £70 per annum. Within the last few years, a lady has had her title as baroness De la Zouche, of Harringworth, allowed in the house of lords.
HARROGATE, a celebrated watering-place, comprising the villages of High and Low Harrogate, of which the former, with the hamlet of Bilton, constitutes a township in the parish of Knaresborough, and the latter is in the parish of Pannal, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 15 miles (N.) from Leeds, 21 (W. by N.) from York, and 200 (N. N. W.) from London; containing, exclusively of Low Harrogate, 3372 inhabitants. This place, which is within the limits of the ancient forest of Knaresborough, derives it name, originally Heywraygate, from its situation on the road from Knaresborough to Heywray, now Haverah Park; and, prior to the discovery of its mineral waters, consisted only of a few farmhouses and widelyscattered cottages on a barren heath. About the year 1571, Captain Slingsby, of Scriven, after his return from Westphalia, found a spring in the forest of Knaresborough, which resembled, in its properties, the waters from which he had derived much benefit abroad; this spring is now the source of the old Harrogate spa. The Tewit Well was subsequently discovered, and both the springs gradually attracted public notice for nearly a century before any provisions were made for the reception of the increasing number of visiters, till, in the year 1687, an inn, now the "Queen," was erected for their accommodation, to which another, now the "Royal Oak," was subsequently added. The town has since by degrees become extensive, and is at present one of the most fashionable and best frequented watering-places in the kingdom.
High Harrogate is finely situated on an eminence, commanding a richly varied prospect bounded by the mountains of Craven, the hills of Hambleton, and the wolds of Yorkshire; and is connected with Low Harrogate, in a valley to the west, by ranges of houses of modern erection, which, from their position between the two villages, have been called Central Harrogate. The houses are chiefly of stone, and many that have been built for visiters are spacious. There are several hotels, containing suites of apartments affording every accommodation for families of the first class; and attached to the principal are pleasure-grounds laid out with great taste, and embellished with shrubberies and plantations. The pump-rooms, baths, and assembly-rooms, also, are of the first order. In High Harrogate are a subscription library, and a repository, with a museum of fossils, shells, minerals, birds, and insects: there is likewise a library at Low Harrogate. Assemblies and concerts take place during the season at the Dragon, Crown, and Granby hotels, weekly, and occasionally at the other inns; and a band of music is stationed on the Green at High Harrogate, every evening. The environs afford pleasant walks and rides, and about a mile to the west of Low Harrogate, is Harlow Hill, a gentle acclivity, on the summit of which a tower was erected in 1829, commanding an extensive prospect. An act was passed in 1846 for better supplying the town with gas, and in the same year another act for supplying it with water. In 1845 an act was obtained for a railway from Leeds, by Harrogate, to Thirsk, with a branch of half a mile from Harrogate to Knaresborough, there to join the York and Knaresborough railway; and in 1847 a line was opened from Harrogate to Wetherby and Tadcaster.
Of the buildings recently erected, the Royal Promenade, or Cheltenham Pump-room, is the most conspicuous for magnificence of style, and the extent of its grounds; it is of the Doric order, with a portico of six fluted columns, supporting an entablature and cornice surmounted by a triangular pediment, and forming the entrance to the pump-room, which is nearly 100 feet in length and more than 30 feet in breadth, and is lighted by a range of windows embellished with stained glass. The water, a saline chalybeate, was discovered in 1819, and the pumproom was erected by the late Mr. Williams. The building contains a library of 2000 volumes for the use of subscribers to the rooms; the reading-rooms are supplied with the London, Dublin, and provincial journals, and the principal periodical publications, and the promenade is enlivened by a band of music. The subscription for the season is £1. 10., and for a family £2. 2. The Montpelier gardens, near the Crown hotel, though not so extensive as those of the Royal Promenade, are beautifully laid out, and much frequented as affording the united advantages of a saline chalybeate and a sulphureous spring, both of which are introdueed into an octagonal building resembling a Chinese temple, erected by the late proprietor, Mr. Thackwray, in 1822. The promenade is attended by a band. The Victoria Promenade rooms were erected in 1805, at an expense of £3000; the building is of the Ionic order, and contains a principal room, 70 feet in length and 30 feet wide. The subscription for a family during the season is £1. 10., and the subscribers have the use of a library, the daily journals. and the periodicals.
The old spa, better known as St. John's Well, on the common, discovered by Capt. Slingsby, was covered with a dome by Lord Loughborough in 1786, and has recently been inclosed by an octagonal building in the Italian style, with angular pilasters supporting an enriched cornice and attic, erected at an expense of £180. Not far from it is the Tewit Well, over which has been placed the dome removed from the old sulphur well. They are both saline chalybeates; and at each, persons are in attendance for supplying the water to visiters without any charge. A strong saline chalybeate spring was discovered in the gardens of the Crescent inn by Mr. Walker, and has been conveyed into a room in front of the Crescent buildings; the water contains a large proportion of carbonate of soda, and muriates of soda, lime, and magnesia, and is raised by a small pump in the building. The Old Sulphur Well has long maintained a high character for its superior efficacy, and is still the principal attraction of this distinguished watering-place. It is situated near the Crown hotel, and was formerly received into a stone basin covered with a dome resting on pillars, but which has been superseded by a pump-room erected at an expense of £2000, by the commissioners under an act of parliament passed in 1841 for the improvement of the town. At Starbeck, half way between Harrogate and Knaresborough, are chalybeate and sulphureous springs of weaker quality; and to the west of the old sulphur well, and in the direction of Harlow Tower, is a small portion of marshy ground, upon which a number of sulphureous springs are to be found, which are under the control of the commissioners, and are of considerable utility, though not of so great power as those already described. Among the principal Bathing establishments are the Victoria baths, near the old sulphur well, built by Mr. Williams, in 1832; there are six baths for ladies, and seven for gentlemen, and also warm, vapour, and shower baths. The Montpelier baths, situated in the gardens of that spa, were built by Mr. Thackwray, in 1834; in the front of the building is a handsome portico, leading to the hall, which is lighted by a dome. The Starbeck baths have been enlarged and improved since they were originally erected in 1828; they comprise four warm, two shower baths, and a cold bath. The cold baths situated between the lower town and Harlow Tower, comprise plunging, shower, and spouting baths; and there are also accommodations for warm and cold bathing at most of the hotels. The water of the old sulphur well, and that of the sulphur spring in the Montpelier gardens, are annually resorted to by an increasing number of visiters; and it appears that these, as well as the numerous other springs at Harrogate, present very little variation, either in the amount of sulphur or salts, during the entire year, so that they may be considered perfectly efficacious at any time. Under the act procured in 1841, the protection of the springs is vested in 21 commissioners, of whom seven retire annually.
The old chapel of St. John, in High Harrogate, towards the erection of which, in 1749, Lady Elizabeth Hastings largely contributed, was taken down in 1831, and the present church, dedicated to Christ, erected on its site, at an expense of £4500, of which £900 were a grant from the Incorporated Society, £300 paid from the revenues of the duchy of Lancaster, and the remainder raised by subscription. It is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains 1250 sittings. A district comprising 4100 acres has been since assigned to it, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Knaresborough, augmented to £150 per annum from the Canonry Suspension Fund. The district church of St. Mary, in Low Harrogate, was erected in 1826, by subscription, aided by a parliamentary grant, on a site obtained, with two acres for a cemetery, from the duchy land; it has 1000 sittings, of which 500 are free in consideration of a grant of £500 from the Incorporated Society, and the living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £50 per annum from the revenues of the duchy: patron, the Vicar of Pannal. There is a place of worship for Independents in Low Harrogate, and one for Wesleyans in Central Harrogate. The free school, situated about a mile from High Harrogate, was founded in 1785, by Richard Taylor, Esq., who endowed it with lands producing £30 per annum. The Bath hospital for patients requiring the benefit of the waters, was erected by subscription in 1825.
Harrold (All Saints)
HARROLD (All Saints), a town and parish, in the hundred of Willey, union and county of Bedford, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Bedford, and 58 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 1007 inhabitants. The town is situated in a fertile agricultural district, on the banks of the river Ouse, over which is a stone bridge. The lace manufacture is carried on. There is a small market on Tuesday; and fairs for the sale of cattle and pedlery are held on the Tuesdays preceding May 13th, July 6th, and October 11th. The petty-sessions for the hundreds of Barford, Stodden, and Willey, are chiefly held here, but sometimes at Bletsoe. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of Earl de Grey; net income, £202; impropriator, W. S. Farrer, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1797. The church is a fine structure, with a tower and spire. There is a place of worship for Independents; also six almshouses for widows, founded in 1723, by Mrs. Anne Jolliffe. A priory was established here in the reign of Stephen, for canons and nuns of the order of St. Nicholas of Arrouasia, and afterwards became a convent of Augustine nuns; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was estimated at £47. 3. 2. There are no remains of the buildings, except the refectory, which has been used as a barn.
HARROP, a hamlet, in the township of Bowland-Forest, Lower division, parish of Whalley, union of Clitheroe, wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York; containing 60 inhabitants. This hamlet comprises about 1000 acres, whereof 824 are pasture, and the remainder moorland. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here.
Harrow-on-the-Hill (St. Mary)
HARROW-ON-THE-HILL (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from London; containing, with the hamlets of Alperton, Greenhill, Kenton, Preston, Roxeth, Sudbury, and Wembley, 4627 inhabitants, of whom 1031 are in the hamlet of Harrow-Weald. This place is chiefly distinguished on account of its Free Grammar School, instituted in the reign of Elizabeth, in 1571, and which ranks among the most celebrated classical schools in England. The founder was John Lyon, a native of the neighbouring hamlet of Preston, who, in 1590, drew up statutes for the school, in which, among various regulations, he directed that the pupils should be instructed in archery; and it was customary, until about the middle of the last century, for the scholars to hold a festival on the 4th of August, when they shot at a mark for a silver arrow. This usage having been abolished, public speeches are now delivered on the first Wednesdays in June and July. The school is free for all boys belonging to the parish of Harrow, but very few avail themselves of the privilege: the number of boys not on the foundation is usually between two and three hundred, and they enjoy all the privileges attached to the institution. Two exhibitioners from the school are admitted at Cambridge, and two at Oxford, with pensions allotted by the founder, who directed that £20 per annum should be divided among them, but they now receive £20 per annum each for eight years. The governors not long since instituted two annual scholarships, with pensions of £52. 10., for four years at either of the universities; and certain additional scholarships were lately founded by the liberality of Joseph Neeld, Esq., M.P., one of the governors. There are also four exhibitions, of £50 a year each, to Caius College, Cambridge; for these the school is indebted to the late J. Sayer, Esq. Several prizes, likewise, have been instituted: a gold medal is proposed yearly by Sir Robert Peel, one of the distinguished men whom the school has produced; and a prize, the proceeds of the scholarship which he won at Harrow, has been founded by A. J. Beresford Hope, Esq., son of Viscountess Beresford. R. Gregory, Esq., F.R.S., has bequeathed to the library 140 volumes of the Roman classics, an annual gold medal, value 10 guineas, and £100 per annum for ever for the foundation of an exhibition to either of the universities, for a boy educated in the school. The rents of the estates given for the support of the institution by John Lyon, amounted, in 1795, to £669 per annum, which were expended by the governors in paying salaries and exhibitions, educating poor children, relieving decayed housekeepers, repairing roads, &c., agreeably to the directions of the donor; at present the income is much more considerable, part of the estates having been let on building leases. The house formerly occupied by the head master was destroyed by fire in October, 1838, and a new one has been erected, after a design by Mr. Decimus Burton. The school building was repaired and much enlarged by munificent donations of former alumni of Harrow, during the mastership of the Rev. Chancellor Butler, D.D.; the chapel for the use of the school, erected by the same means, was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, on the 24th of September, 1838.
The town forms a neat street, and occupies a lofty hill, commanding fine views. A charter was granted by Henry III. for a market on Monday, and an annual fair; the former has been discontinued, but a fair is still held on the first Monday in August. The parish comprises 9604a. 2r. 32p.: the soil is fertile, and nearly three-fourths of the land are in pasture; the surrounding scenery, which is richly diversified, abounds with interesting objects. The London and Birmingham railway passes through the parish, and rather more than a mile to the north of the church is a station on the line. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £33. 4. 2.; net income, £627; patron, Lord Northwick; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and cornrents in 1803. The church is a spacious structure, with a tower and lofty spire at the west end: the pillars between the nave and the aisles, and a part of the tower, where is a curious Norman doorway, probably formed portions of a church recorded to have been founded by Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, in the reign of William I.; but the remainder of the edifice appears to have been built in the latter part of the 14th century. In this church was interred the celebrated poet and physician, Sir Samuel Garth. There is a district chapel at Harrow-Weald, erected by subscription, and in the Vicar's gift; and at Wembley is a chapel dedicated to St. John, in the patronage of the Misses Copland. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship; and national schools are supported. At the extremity of the parish, towards Stanmore, was a priory called Benethly or Bentley, the site of which forms part of the estate of the Marquess of Abercorn, who has near it a splendid and richly furnished mansion, styled Bentley Priory. The learned Dr. Parr was born at Harrow, where his father practised as an apothecary; and the Hon. W. R. Spencer, an accomplished scholar, who died in 1834, was interred in the church.
HARROWBY, a township, in the parish and union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1¾ mile (E.) from Grantham; containing 60 inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for £500. 7., of which £200. 7. are paid to the vicar. Harrowby gives the titles of Baron and Earl to the family of Ryder.
HARROWDEN, a hamlet, in the township of Eastcotts, parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, union and county of Bedford; with 213 persons.
Harrowden, Great (All Saints)
HARROWDEN, GREAT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Wellingborough; containing 130 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road between Wellingborough and Kettering, and consists of 1407a. 2r. 8p., the property of the Earl Fitzwilliam, and all of which is good pasture, with the exception of about 20 acres: the surface is undulated. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Little Harrowden, valued jointly in the king's books at £13. 3. 8.; net income, £322; patron and impropriator, the Earl. The church is an ancient structure with a square tower, and very neat interior: it was restored by the noble patron in 1844. A school, built by Earl Fitzwilliam, also in 1844, is supported by subscription.
Harrowden, Little (St. Mary)
HARROWDEN, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Wellingborough; containing 673 inhabitants. It comprises 1509a. 1r. 29p., of which three-fourths are arable, and the remainder pasture; the soil is partly clay, and gravelly in the lower lands: there are two good gravel-pits. The greater part of the parish is the property of the Earl Fitzwilliam, and A. A. Young, Esq. Shoes are made by the inhabitants to some extent. The Wellingborough and Kettering road passes through. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Great Harrowden. The church is in the early Norman style; has a square tower; and was repewed in 1833. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A Church of England free school, founded and endowed by William Aylworth in 1661, has an income of about £35, with a house and garden for the master.
HARSLEY, EAST, a parish, in the union of North-Allerton, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 6¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Northallerton; containing 393 inhabitants, and comprising about 3000 acres by computation. The Carthusian priory of Mount Grace, here, was founded by the Earl of Surrey, who was beheaded in the reign of Henry IV.; and was valued at £382. 5. 11. at the Dissolution, when it was granted to the Strangewayes family. Some portions of the buildings have been converted into a farmhouse; and other parts, including several fine Norman arches and the church, which was a cruciform structure, form a pile of beautiful ivy-mantled ruins. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £62; patron, J. C. Maynard, Esq.; impropriators, the Freeholders.
HARSLEY, WEST, a township, in the parish of Osmotherley, union of Northallerton, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 5¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Northallerton; containing 72 inhabitants. It adjoins East Harsley, and comprises 1410 acres of land, the property and manor of the Earl of Harewood: the village is situated about a mile and a half west of the road from Borrowby to Whorlton. The Strangewayes family had a castle here, the remains of which are now incorporated in farm buildings.
Harston (All Saints)
HARSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Thriplow, county of Cambridge, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Cambridge; containing 662 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 10. 2½.; net income, £244; patron, the Bishop of Ely; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1798.
Harston (St. Michael)
HARSTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Grantham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Grantham; containing 181 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £230, and the glebe comprises nearly 44 acres. The church was lately enlarged, and 50 additional sittings were provided. The parsonagehouse was rebuilt a few years since.
Harswell (St. Peter)
HARSWELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Market-Weighton; containing 67 inhabitants. The parish is situated in the vale of the river Foulness, and comprises by admeasurement 1200 acres, which, with the exception of about 40 acres of woodland, are in cultivation. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4, and in the gift of Sir Charles Slingsby, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £174. 6. 10., and the glebe contains 43 acres. The church stands on an eminence.
Hart (St. Mary Magdalene)
HART (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Stockton, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham; comprising the townships of Dalton-Piercy, Elwick, Hart, Nesbit, Thorp-Bulmer, and Throston; and containing 728 inhabitants, of whom 278 are in the township of Hart, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Hartlepool. This place appears, from the old foundations frequently discovered, to have been formerly of much greater extent and population than at present. The church, which was the mother church of Hartlepool, now a distinct parish, was granted with all its appendages, by Robert de Brus, to the priory of Guisborough; and here was a monastery, of which there are still some slight remains. The parish is situated on the road from Sunderland to Hartlepool, and comprises by computation 10,000 acres, about onefourth of which is pasture, and the rest arable, with the exception of 100 acres of woodland; the soil is for the most part a strong clay, and produces excellent wheat. Magnesian limestone is quarried for building and for repairing the roads, and coal is supposed to abound. The Hartlepool railway passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 17. 1., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, Frederick A. Milbanke, Esq.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £163. 15. 6., and the glebe comprises 71 acres. The church is an ancient and venerable structure in the Norman style, with a low massive tower; it contains a singularly elegant font of octagonal form, elaborately enriched with sculpture. In the register are recorded the deaths of 89 victims to the plague in 1587.
HARTBURN, a township, in the parish and union of Stockton-upon-Tees, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1½ mile (S. W. by W.) from Stockton; containing 135 inhabitants. It is situated on the brook from which it derives its name, and comprises by computation 940 acres of land. Anciently it was held of the bishop in capite, by homage, fealty, and suit at the wapentake of Sadberge. The village is on the road from Stockton to Long Newton. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £58, and the vicarial for £4. 12. 9.
HARTBURN, a parish, in the unions of Castle ward, Morpeth, and Rothbury, chiefly in the W. division of Morpeth ward, but partly in the N. E. division of Tindale ward, N. and S. divisions of Northumberland; containing 1322 inhabitants, of whom 30 are in the township of Hartburn, 7 miles (W.) from Morpeth. This parish comprises the townships of High and Low Angerton, Cambo, Corridge, Deanham, Favinley, Greenleighton, Hartburn, Hartburn-Grange, Hartington, Hartington-Hall, Harwood, Highlaws, Long Witton, North and South Middleton, Rothley, East and West Shaftoe, East and West Thornton, Todridge, Wallington, and Whitridge. It is of very irregular form, nearly 11 miles in length, and 6 in mean breadth, and comprises about 40,000 acres, of which 105 are in the township of Hartburn. The surface is agreeably diversified with hill and dale, and the soil is various; the lands are wholly inclosed, excepting Harwood township, and nearly all profitable for almost every description of husbandry. The lower grounds are watered by the rivers Hart and Wansbeck. Stone of different kinds is quarried; and there are some lead-mines and coal-pits in operation. The village of Hartburn consists of the church, the parsonage, called Hartburn Tower, the school-houses, glebe farmhouses, and two cottages; which stand on the rocky and steep banks of the burn from which the place derives its name. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, with a gross income of about £800; John Clayton and Isaac Cookson, Esqrs., and others, are impropriators. The late Rev. John Hodgson, the learned author of six 4to. volumes of a highly valuable History of Northumberland, was vicar. The church, a venerable structure romantically situated, consists of a chancel, nave, and aisles, with a porch and tower; on the south side of the altar are a piscina, and three stalls with pointed arches. Cambo chapel was beautifully rebuilt in 1843.
HARTBURN-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 50 inhabitants. This place was formerly called Newton-Grange, and belonged to Newminster Abbey. It was granted by the crown, in 1602, to Edward Corrill and others; and in 1663, Francis Ratcliffe occurs as owner, whose grandson, James, Earl of Derwentwater, in 1715 forfeited this with his other estates, and thus caused it to come into the hands of Greenwich Hospital. The township comprises 1098a. 2p. of rather indifferent land. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £102. 16. payable to the Hospital, and the vicarial for £13. 10.
Hartest (All Saints)
HARTEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 7 miles (N. E.) from Clare; containing 812 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with that of Boxted consolidated, valued in the king's books at £29. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes of Hartest have been commuted for £605, and the glebe comprises 23 acres. Thomas Sparke, in 1721, bequeathed a house and land, now producing an annual income of £50, for teaching children.
Hartfield (St. Mary)
HARTFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of East Grinsted, hundred of Hartfield, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from East Grinsted; comprising North and South Hartfield, and containing 1603 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the Kent Water, is on the road from East Grinsted to Tonbridge-Wells, and comprises 10,267 acres, whereof 92 are waste land or common. It contains a portion of Ashdown Forest, and is more than 7 miles in length. The surface is hilly, and from the hills of Gills' Lap and High Beeches are extensive views; the soil varies from a dry sand to a rich loam, and the valleys are watered by the Medway, the Bole, and a stream issuing from the forest. A cattle-fair is held on the second Thursday after Whit-Sunday. The living is a rectory and vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Earl Delawarr: the tithes have been commuted for £881. 12. 6.; the glebe consists of 1½ acre. The church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, with a tower surmounted by a spire. St. Peter's, a chapel of ease, erected at Holty Common, in 1834, is a neat building in the pointed style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The Rev. Richard Randes, in 1640, founded a free school and endowed it with property now producing about £27 per annum; and in 1725, the Earl of Thanet gave a rent-charge of £10, in augmentation of the master's salary. Here are springs, the water of which is similar to that of Tonbridge-Wells. At Bolebrooke are the remains of an old mansion, formerly the residence of the Sackville family, ancestors of the ducal house of Dorset: in 1770 it was purchased by Lord George Germain, who, when created a peer, took from this place his second title of Bolebrooke; but in 1790 it was again united to the possessions of the Sackvilles.