An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Is an hamlet belonging to, and in the parish of, Horsham: by an inquisition post mortem, Francis Mapes of Rollesby, Esq. was found to die on the 9th of March, 1637, seized of 60 acres of land in Newton St. Faith's, held of the King by the 40th part of a fee.
Andrew Mansfeld had on October 21, in the 38th of Henry VIII. the grant of a capital messuage here.
The church of Horsham was many centuries past a rectory, dedicated to St. Faith the virgin, and appropriated by the grant of Robert de Cadomo (son of Walter) and Sibilla his wife, to the priory of Horsham St. Faith's, being valued at 13 marks, Peter-pence 20d. carvage 7d. ob. and is an impropriation served by a stipendiary curate.
In the church were the arms of Bowet, impaling Ufford—Lord Dacres of the north, gules, three escallops, argent, quartering, Ufford, Bowet, and checque, or and gules, Vaux-Fiennes Lord Dacres of the south, azure, three lioncels rampant, or.
In a north window,
Orate p. a'iab; Rob. Berney et Margar. uxor. ej: and in a south— Orate p. a'ia Tho. Fordley, and these arms, gules, a griffin, segreant, argent, impaling, sable, a fess ingrailed between three escallops argent.— Orate p. a'ia Tho. Brampton, Armig. and Brampton impaling Halcote; and Brampton and Aylmer; the crest a goat trippant - horned or, with a satire on his back, holding the horns;—Sable, three pomgranates, gules impaling sable, a chevron, ermin, between three crescents, argent;—Brandon, quartering, argent, a fess between three trefoils, slipped gules;—Brandon, impaling ermin, a saltire ingrailed gules.
In the church were the guilds of St. Faith, and St. Andrew, the first of these had a capital messuage belonging to it, and several lands.
Helene Carter, widow, gave an acre of land in 1521, to the repair of the cross in the churchyard, edified by her, and here was in Chapel Close, Southwood, a chapel.