An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
In old writing called Bergh Parva, to distinguish it from South Bergh, in this hundred; also Mattishall-Bergh, as lying near to it, and having the same lords.
It is not mentioned in the Book of Domesday, being accounted for in the lordships of Ralph de Beaufo in Mateshale, and that of Hermer de Ferrarijs in the said town, as extending into this village,
The principal manor was that of R. de Beaufoe, which came to the Marshals: John le Mareshal was lord and patron in the 11th of Edward I. and held it of the Bishop of Ely, by knight's service: from the Marshalls it descended to the Lords Morley, and in the 3d of Henry IV. Edmund Berry, and Richard Denny of Wymondham, held here and in East Tudenham, &c. the 4th part of a fee of Oliver Gross, and he of the Lord Morley.
From the Lords Morley it came to the Lovels, and from them to the Parkers Lords Morley; as may be seen at large in Hokering, &c.
Edward Parker Lord Morley, who lived in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, sold great part of his estate: and about 1583, this lordship, to Sir Thomas Lovell of East Herling, and Sir Francis, his son, inherited it.
Hermer de Ferrarijs's manor (who was lord of Matishale at the survey) descended to the Lords Bardolf, barons of Wirmegey, and became part of that barony, and extended into this village.
William Bardolf, lord, held one fee here, and in Barton, in the 13th of Richard II. On the attainder of the Lord Bardolf, it was granted with that barony to Thomas Beaufort Earl of Dorset, and after Duke of Exeter: see in Wrongey.
The Church has only an isle with a chancel covered with tile, a square tower, and 3 bells, and a chapel on the north side, and is dedicated to St. Peter; it is a rectory, the ancient valor was 5 marks; Peter-pence 8d. ob. the present valor is 3l. 15s. 10d.
The canons of Southwark St. Mary, had a portion of tithe valued at 3 marks, and the priory of Norwich 5s. per ann.
On a grave-stone, in the church,
Hic jacet corpus Audoeni Thornton, clerici, qui obt. 7 die Apr. 1688, ætat. 78.
In memory of Robert Dannye, Gent. who died 1699, aged 52: and of Elizabeth his wife, daughter of John Smith, Gent. and died 1691.
For Robert Dannye, son of John Dannye, Gent. who died 1670: and for Anne, his wife, daughter of William Stewart, Gent. who died 1694.
On a monument of black marble,
Resurrectionem beatam juxta manent reliquiæ Eliz. Guliel. Dannye, filiæ, Tho. Jegon, clerici, uxoris dilectissimæ, cujus a teneris perpetuam pietatem, prudentiam, ingenium, modestiam, cæterasq; et animi et corporis, dotes sibi ferè proprias et singulares, ore seculum laudavit præsens, laudabit futuram obt. 24, Dec. Ao. Dnj. 1708, æt. 24.
In Trinity term the 16th year of King Edward I. a fine was levied of this advowson, when the prior of Southwark St. Mary's granted it to John le Mareshal and Oliva his wife.
In 1300, Richard de Geyst instituted, nominated by William Mareshall, presented by the prior and convent of St. Mary of Southwark.
1321, John de Repps.
1361, Thomas Goday.
John de Repps.
1344, Thomas de Creneford.
1349, Michael Ive, presented by the prior, nominated by Sir Robert de Morley.
1381, Edmund de Swathing.
1395, Thomas Maundevile, nominated by Sir Thomas Morley, presented, &c.
1401, John Andrew.
1432, John Dale.
1439, John Deen, nominated by Isabel Lady Morley, &c.
1465, Thomas Curvyle.
1466, William Tedyr.
1504, John Denne, by Sir William Parker, in right of Alice, his wife.
1507, Roger Ward, by Sir Edward Howard, in right of Alice aforesaid, then his wife.
1558, Thomas Mawnde, by Henry Parker Lord Morley.
1597, Thomas Buxton, by Oliver St. John, assignee of Henry Parker Lord Morley.
In 1603, Buxton certifies that there were 81 communicants, and that Sir Francis Lovel was patron, to whom the advowson had been granted; but it appears that Henry Lord Morley had released to Henry St. John the patronage for 40 years.
1604, Thomas Baldwyn, A.M. by Oliver St. John, assignee of Henry Parker Lord Morley.
William Segeswych, occurs rector about 1660.
Edward Heyhoe, rector.
1742, George Howes, by Mat. Postlewait, on Heyhoe's death.
In this church was the guild of St. Peter.
Thomas Harleston, Gent. of this town, lord of Aphow's, &c. in East Tudenham, buried in this church in 1558.
William Teder, by his will in 1504, gave the tenor bell.