An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The principal lordship at the survey was in the hands of Ralph de Beaufoe, of which 14 freemen (who held it in King Edward's time) were deprived, 2 carucates and a half, and 20 acres of land belonged to it, with 12 villains, and 5 carucates, and 6 acres of meadow, and a church endowed with 20 acres, valued at 16½d. In King Edward's time this lordship was valued at 60s. at the survey at 43s. was 7 furlongs long, and 6 broad, and paid 36½d. gelt. (fn. 1)
Ralph had also another tenure here, to make up his lordship, of which 5 freemen were deprived, who held 2 carucates of land, and 4 borderers, and 4 carucates of meadow, valued at 20s. at the survey at 32s. 4d. but the soc was in the abbot of Ely.
Hubert de Rie, castellan of Norwich, by the marriage of Agnes, only daughter and heir of Ralph, succeeded him; and from this family it came by Aliva, a daughter and coheir to John Marshal, of the family of the heirs of Pembroke, in the reign of Henry II. and by Hawys, daughter and heir of John le Marshal, to Sir Robert Morley, who was lord in 1323.
Robert Lord Morley's only daughter and heir, Alianore, brought it by marriage to William Lovell, a younger son of the Lord Lovell of Tichmershe, who died seized of it in 1475.
Alice, only sister and heir of Henry Lovell Lord Morley married Sir Will. Parker, and in her right, enjoyed it, and had livery in the 5th of Henry VII. and his descendant, Edward Parker Lord Morley, about 1583, sold great part of his inheritance, and this lordship, to Sir Thomas Lovell, of East Herling, and his son, Sir Francis, possessed it. in 1620, &c.
Thomas Berney, Esq. of Swerdeston, lord in 1658, John Berney, in 1676; Thomas Berney, Esq. 1720; and in 1740, Ash Windham, Esq.
The rent of assise of free and customary tenants of this manor, in the 36th of Henry VIII. was 18l. 18s.
In this town the church of Ely had in the time of the Confessor, 8 socmen, who held 30 acres of land, and 2 carucates of meadow, but at the survey there was but one carucate, and 8 acres, valued at 20s. at the survey at 13s.
This also was joined soon after the survey, to the aforesaid manor.
John de Mareschal held here and in North Tudenham, in the reign of Edward I. one fee and an half of the Bishop of Ely. In the 20th of Edward III. Robert Lord Morley held one fee and an half of the church of Ely.
Hermerus de Ferrariis had seized on a carucate and 39 acres of land, held by 20 freemen, who in King Edward's reign, were only under commendation or protection.
There were 3 villains, 2 borderers, 12 acres of meadow, and the moiety of a mill, and at that time 4 carucates also, valued at 30s. at the survey at 42, but this part was held by them without any commendation. (fn. 2)
This lordship came by descent from Hermerus, to the Lords Bardolf, Barons of Wirmegey.
In the 38th of Henry III. William Lord Bardolf had a charter for free warren, as part of that manor.
In the 3d of Edward III. Robert Attehawe held the 4th part of a fee in this town, Yaxham, &c. of Sir Thomas Lord Bardolf, and John de Wace, a fourth part here, in Thirston, &c.
In the 43d of that King, Gregory Sterre, and Alice his wife, conveyed by fine, to John de Mountney and Joan his wife, a messuage, 52 acres of land, 27 of pasture, 5 of wood, and 28s. rent in Mateshale, Bergh, North and East Tudenham, Hokering and Yaxham.
On the attainder of Thomas Lord Bardolf, in the reign of Henry IV. the King granted it with the honour of Wirmegay, to his brother, Thomas Beaufort Earl of Dorset, and after Duke of Exeter.
In the 22d of Edward IV. Roger Drury, Esq. and Anne his wife, daughter and heir of Henry Sturmer, passed by fine to Alexander Cressener, Esq. Henry L'Estrange, John Garneys, William Drury, Esq. Henry Fenne, Esq. &c. 300 acres of land, 60 of meadow, 100 of pasture, 16 of wood, 100 of marsh, 60 of heath, and 5l. rent, with 2 fold-courses here, in Bergh, Hokering, &c. from the heirs of Anne. At the same time also John Pagrave and Margaret his wife, another of the daughters and coheirs of Sturmer, conveyed their right to Henry Fenne and his heirs.
In the 6th of Henry VIII. it was in the Crown together with the honour of Wirmegay, as may be seen in the account of that town, and at this time was possessed by Henry Pagrave, who died lord of it, and of Burgh: as may be seen by his will, proved January 14, 1527, and held of the said honour. (fn. 3)
By indenture made August 9, 1667, William Bond of London, Esq. granted and sold to Sarah Bispham, relict of Samuel Bispham, M. D. and her heirs, the manor of Matteshale Mounteneys, which Sir John Pagrave of Northwood Barningham in Norfolk, Bart. by indenture dated in the 24th of Charles I. sold to Samuel Smith of Norwich, Esq. and Robert Willimot, of Greys Inn, Esq. both deceased, and to the said William Bond for the term of 1000 years.
Owen Thornton, clerk, was lord, about 1680, and gave it to his daughter.
William Earl Warren, had 14 acres of land, of which a freeman was deprived, and it was valued in Thurston. (fn. 4)
The tenths were 8l. 4s.—Deducted 1l. 14s.
In this parish lived an ancient family De Herleston, Margaret, daughter of Robert Harlestone of this town, the wife of Dr. Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury, gave lands here in 1569, to the value of 50s. per ann. for the poor of this parish, and a sermon to be preached in this church, which is preached every year by a fellow of Corpus Christi college in Cambridge, on Tuesday in Rogation week.
This annual sermon is much frequented, and the great resort to it, occasions a sort of fair on that day, and is commonly called Matteshale-Gant, or Gang, a word anciently used for perambulating the bounds of parishes in Rogation week.
Thomas Harleston, Gent. by his will in 1558, gives his tenement, called Sparrows, to be an alms-house at Mateshale, and his house called Coppes to the poor of the said town, with several ewes, and money to the poor of this town, Burgh Parva, Shipdam, Cranworth, &c.
Mat gives name to several towns, as a rivulet; thus Materdale in Cumberland, Matching in Essex, Matlock in Derbyshire.
The Church of Matteshale is dedicated to All-Saints, and was anciently in the patronage of the Marshalls, Lords Marshall of Ireland, and valued at 28 marks, and the vicarage at 40s. Peter-pence 22d.
The rectory is appropriated to Cajus college in Cambridge, and the vicarage is valued at 7l. 8s. 3d. ob.
It consists of a nave, north and south isle, with a chancel covered with lead, has a four square tower at the west end of the nave embattled, in which hang 6 bells, a clock and a dial.
In the nave are gravestones,
In memory of Pleasance, wife of Robert Davy, Gent. and late of Henry Crossgrove, Gen. printer of Norwich; who died August 9, 1741, aged 36.
In memory of William Barker, Gent. who died Feb. 21, 1719, aged 74.
On a brass plate,
Orate p. a'ia Galfridj Davy, cuj; &c. with his pourtraiture, hands conjoined and beads by his side.
In the chancel, on a plate,
Francis Crosshold, buried March 25, 1615.
In memory of Susanna Crosshold, buried May 25, 1617.
Florence, daughter of Arthur Crosshold and Mary his wife, buried May 20, 1614.
Arthur Crosshold, who died December 18, 1618.
On a gravestone with the arms of Neal, ermin, a lion rampant between three dexter gauntlets, gules.
Sarah, wife of Gibson Neal, Gent. who died July 11, 1747, in her 57 year.
Another with the said arms,
Gibson Neale, Gent. died April 17, 1747, in his 59, year.
On a stone—argent, fretty sable, on a chief of the second three plates,
In memory of Colby Chamberlain, Esq; who died May 23, 1742, aged 55.
Within the rails of the communion table lie several gravestones of marble;
In memoriam charissimi fratris Gul. Sigiswick, nuper vicar; hujus eccles. quondamq; Caij coll. in acad. Cantabr. socij senioris, obeuntis Sept. 26, 1675, œtat. suœ 61, Robert. frater hunc lapidem posuit; and the arms of Segiswick;—On a cross, five bells,—exmin, three chevronels, sable, Repps, impaling per pale, argent and sable, a chevron between three talbots, passant, counterchanged, on a chief, gules, three leopards heads, or, Gooch.
In memory of John Repps, Esq; of Reymerston, who died November 23, 1696, œtat. suœ 61.
The same arms in a lozenge,
For Martha Repps, relict of John Repps, of Reymerston, Esq; who died November 29, 1705.
In memory of Fountain Repps, third son of John Repps, Gent. and Dorothy his wife, who died Feb. 7, 1709.
Reppes bearing in an escotheon of pretence, azure, a chevron between three crosses patteè or, Calybut.
In memory of Lucy, daughter of Richard Calybut of Saham, Gent. wife of Franc. Repps, Gent. who died Nov. 11, 1681, œt. 23, who left issue one son and two daughters.
Quarterly, Repps, in the first and 4th quarter, in the 2d, quarterly, or and azure, on a bend, gules, three cross crosslets or.—In the 3d quarter, or, a bend between three trefoils slipped, azure.
In memory of John Repps who married Ann daughter of Nicholas Howlet, B.D. and had by her 8 sons and 4 daughters, he died July 20, 1672, aged 61
In memory of Henry Repps. son of John Repps, who died 1666.
Of Luke Repps, 8th son of John Repps, who died 1681.
Of Ann Repps, late wife of John Repps, Esq; who died March 29, 1681.
Against the north wall a mural monument of marble, &c.—On the summit an urn:
M. S.—Franc. Reppes, armiger, filius natu quintus Joh. Reppes, armig. et Annœ, uxor suœ, qui duxit Luciam, filiam Ric. Calybut de Saham, in agro Norf. Gent. ex quâ suscepit filium Johan. filias Annam, et Franciscam, postea duxit Mariam filiam Joh. Leman de Brampton apud Suffolciens. Generos. quœ in dilecti conjugis moriam H. M. P.— Obdormivit in Christo vir pius, dum supplex genibus flexis Deum invocabat, 17 Dec. 1692: with these arms, Repps impaling on the dexter side, Calybut, on the sinister, Leman—azure, a fess between three dolphins embowed, argent.
On a marble gravestone, by the communion rails, on the right side, Reppes impales Willis, p. fess, argent and gules, three lions rampant, counterchanged, in a bordure, ermine.
M. S. Venerabilis viri Nich. Reppes, S. T. P. qui xiii cal. Apr. Ao. œrœ Christianœ 1689, ad plures obijt, et beatam hic prœstolatur resurrectionem; dilecta conjux Jana D. Tho. Willis de Ditton in agro Cantabr. Baron. filia posuit.
Near it on the chancel east wall, an achievement, Repps impaling Willis, crest a plume of ostriches feathers.
On the opposite side another achievement, Repps, with his quarterings as above,
For Nich. Howlet, B. D. preb. of Christ church, Norwich, rector of Reifham, vicar of Matteshall, who departed June 17, 1652, leaving one daughter married to John Repps of West Walton, Esq.
For Cha. Reppes, fourth son of John Reppes, Esq;
In the chapel at the end of the south isle dedicated to St. Mary.
Hic jacet in spe beatœ resurrectionis Gulielm. Brabant, A. M. ex agro Lancastriensi hujus ecclesiœ quondam vicarius (et honoratissimo D'no, Joh. Egerton, Comiti de Brigewater, - - - - - - ) qui ob. 2°. Feb. 1788, œtat. suœ 38.
In a window of the chapel in the south isle, azure, an heart, gules, between a dexter and sinister hand, and a dexter and sinister foot, pierced, argent, the arms of the quinque vulnera.
In the churchyard an altar monument
In memory of Colvie Chamberlain, who died Jan. 22, 1711, aged 56 years.
1311, William Wymer instituted, presented by William le Marchall, Marshal of Ireland.
1313, William de Dulyngham, by ditto.
1328, Hugh Lovell by Sir Robert Fitzpain, Knt. in right of the relict of Robert Lord Morley.
1329, William de Paston. Ditto.
1331, John Gyan, by Ditto.
1344, William Ludford, by Sir Robert Fitzpain.
1346, Simon de Groppe. Ditto.
1358, Andrew de Bathele, by Sir William de Morle; buried here 1391, before the high altar.
1391, Mr. William Rokhawe, by Henry de Thomeston, and Walter Herlyng, by a grant of Thomas Lord Morley.
1419, John Pelle, by lady Anne Marshall, widow; rector also of Folsham.
In the 17th of Richard II. a patent was granted to appropriate this rectory to the college of the annunciation of the Virgin Mary, in Cambridge, now called Cajus college.
1321, William de Pampesworth, presented by William de Dulingham, rector.
1329, Nicholas Hanworth, by Hugh Lovel, rector.
1341, Richard de Carleton, by John Gyan, rector.
1361, William Bate, by And. de Batheley, rector.
1370, John de Outwell, by ditto.
1375, Richard Gerard, by ditto.
1395, Adam Symond, by the master and fellows of the college of the annunciation of the Virgin Mary in Cambridge.
1397, John Berard. Ditto.
1411, And. Leverington. Ditto.
1430, Andrew Tayllour. Ditto.
1436, Thomas Robyns. Ditto.
1441, Thomas Lamkyn, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1466, John Barley, by the master and fellows, &c. afterwards master of Caius college.
1479, Thomas Unketyll. Ditto.
1500, John Dow. Ditto.
1517, Nicholas Thaxton, afterwards master of Caius college, and Bishop of Salisbury.
1517, Robert Boteler, buried in the chancel, 1538.
1538, William Stertwayte. Ditto.
1554, Nicholas Corker, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1558, Richard Garret. Ditto.
In the 29th of Elizabeth, Francis Hancock (fn. 5) occurs, and in 1603.
1604, Nicholas Howlet, by the master and fellows of Gonv. and Caius college Cambridge.
1641, Thomas Fitlin. Ditto.
1650, William Segiswycke. Ditto.
1675, William Brabant. Ditto.
1689, John Long. Ditto.
1703, Thomas Inyon. Ditto.
Robert Foster Wulman, by his will in 1507, bequeaths to the making of a chapel of our Lady in the este end of the suth ele in this church 40 marks, to be buried there, and to have a grave-stone to the price of 40s.
Here were in this church, the gild of St. Thomas, St. Mary, St. John Baptist, Holy Trinity, and St. Peter; the ligths of St. Mary, and St. Michael, St. Nicholas, of the rood loft, and of the white torches.
In the 16th of Richard II. Juliana, wife of Richard Bedil, &c. aliened to the scholars of the hall of the annunciation of the Blessed Virgin, a messuage, and an acre of land here; and in the said year, dame Mary Pakenham, widow of Sir - - - - - Pakenham, Knt. gave the rectory, and the patronage of the vicarage to the said hall, called Gonvile-hall, in Cambridge, for the stipend of one fellow.
In the vicarage-house were the arms of the see of Norwich, and of Bishop Bateman, of Bohun Earl of Essex, and of the Lord Morley.