An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
TITCHWELL, With The Manor,
Was a beruite to the manor of Southmere and held by the Conqueror, as the book of Domesday testifies. Harold the King, had been lord of it, (but on his death the Conqueror seized it) when it contained a carucate and an half in demean, 14 villains, 6 borderers and 4 servi, with 16 acres of meadow, &c. and a mill; there was one carucate amongst the tenants, and 4 socmen with 2 carucates and 9 acres, also one socman with 60 acres and 2 bovates, and one socman with half a bovate, and the 4th part of an acre. (fn. 1)
This lordship was granted with Southmere, in or about the reign of King Henry I. to William Lovell, or to Goel de Hebreys, or Iberi, his father, of whom see in Southmere, and continued in that family many years.
In the 26th of Henry VI. by an inquisition taken at Lytcham in Norfolk, the jury find that John Lord Lovell, gave this lordship to one Thomas Lovell, (this John Lord Lovell, was probably the father of Maude, an only daughter, married to the Lord Zouch, and Thomas was his brother,) and the heirs of his body: Thomas had issue, Ralph and Thomas; Ralph had a daughter Margery, who died without issue in the aforesaid year; and Margery, wife of Sir Edward Hull, and Agnes, wife of John Wake, Esq. were cousins and heirs of Margery, viz. daughters and heirs of Thomas Lovell, son of Thomas, and brother of Ralph, father of Margery, and the manor was held by the 7th part of a fee.
In the 27th of Henry VI. the manor of Titchwell was settled by Sir John Fastolf on the Archbishop of Canterbury, &c. his feoffees.
In the 18th of Edward IV. it was conveyed by William Wainfleet Bishop of Winchester, &c. to Magdalen college, Oxford, having license of mortmain for so doing, in which college it still continues.
Another manor or small tenure was at the survey in the hands of Roger Bigot, held by Tove, a freeman, under Harold, in the Confessor's time, and Ralph, son of Herluine, held it under Bigot, consisting of one carucate of land, one carucate in demean, one amongst the men, with 6 villains, a borderer, and 2 acres and a half of meadow, valued at 13s. 4d. at the survey at 12s. (fn. 2)
In the 9th of Edward II. Henry de Esthall, and one of the same name held in the 20th of Edward III. the 4th part of a fee.
Thomas Martin of Brecham, and Maud his wife, conveyed by fine, to Richard Couper of Titchwell, in the 48th of that King, the 4th part of a fee in lands, rents and services.
The tenths 7l. deducted 1l. 10s.
The Church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is a rectory. It is a single pile, covered with thatch, and the chancel is tiled: at the west end is a round tower of flint, with a shaft covered with lead.
The present valor is 12l. and the patronage is in Eton college.
The abbot of Ibrey in Normandy, had the patronage in the reign of Edward I. when the rector had a manse, with 30 acres of land, then valued at 15 marks, and the aforesaid abbot had also a portion of tithe valued at 13s. 4d. Peter-pence 12d.
1313, John de Kendale, rector, presented by Gilbert Lovell, proxy for the abbot, &c. of Ybreye.
1323, Edmund Everard. Ditto.
1325, John Everard occurs rector.
1328, John de Shareshull. Ditto.
1328, William de Povere. Ditto.
1338, Richard de Blida.
1349, John de Lancaster, by the King, the temporalities of Ibrey abbey being in him.
1360, Robert de Martin, by the prior of Minstre Lovell, proxy for the abbot, &c. of Ibrey.
John de Thelwall.
1375, John de Brunne, by the King.
1376, William de Appleton. Ditto.
1380, William Yovele. Ditto.
1383, William Horburg. Ditto.
1384, William Kelby. Ditto.
1397, William Reede. Ditto.
1398, William Cove. Ditto.
1431, John Yeldham. Ditto.
1432, William Dode. Ditto.
1434, John Moore. Ditto.
1436, John Trafford. Ditto.
1440, Richard Whyte. Ditto.
1450, William Cootyng. Ditto.
1457, And. Baberby, by Eton college.
1486, John Carter. Ditto.
1516, Miles Ragon. Ditto.
1533, James Hauley. Ditto.
1538, John Balkey. Ditto.
1546, John Northfolke. Ditto.
1547, Hugh Hodgson. Ditto.
1561, John Hancock. Ditto.
1591, William Harrys, ditto; in 1603, he certified that there were 80 communicants.
1637, John Harrison. Ditto.
1642, Charles Faldo. Ditto.
1658, John Clever. Ditto.
1687, John Hodson, by the King, a lapse.
1704, Abraham Wilkins, collated by the Bishop, a lapse.
1734, Robert Dunn, by the provost, &c. of Eton college.
Here was the guild of St. Nicholas.
The town in the Saxon age was called Tigeswella, and Tiquiuella, on the water of the river Ti; thus Tisted.