Launditch Hundred: Stanfield

An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.


Francis Blomefield, 'Launditch Hundred: Stanfield', in An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10, (London, 1809) pp. 51-53. British History Online [accessed 22 May 2024].

Francis Blomefield. "Launditch Hundred: Stanfield", in An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10, (London, 1809) 51-53. British History Online, accessed May 22, 2024,

Blomefield, Francis. "Launditch Hundred: Stanfield", An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10, (London, 1809). 51-53. British History Online. Web. 22 May 2024,

In this section


Thirty-three freemen held here 2 carucales of land under Stigand the Archbishop of Canterbury, who had the soc and protection of them, to whom there belonged five borderers with six acres of meadow, all which was possessed by William Earl Warren, at the survey.

This was valued then at 3l. per ann. but the soc was in the King's manor of Mileham. (fn. 1)

The aforesaid freemen, &c. held with this, and in other places under Stigand, 10 carucates.

This lordship came to the Earl Warren on an exchange for lands at Lewes in Sussex, and was held by Wimerus, the Earl's dapifer, lord of Gressenhall, and by his posterity; and Jordan Foliot was lord of it in the 15th of Edward I. and claimed free warren. From the Foliots it came to the Hastings, and to the L'Estranges, (as may be seen in Gressenhale,) Sir Henry L'Estrange, Bart. being the late lord.

Alan Earl of Richmond had 6 acres here, which, with lands in Mileham, were held by two socmen of Stigand, which the son of Almarus held under Alan Earl of Richmond. (fn. 2)

The tenths were 3l. 10s. Deducted 6s. 8d.

The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Margaret. The ancient valor was 10 marks, and paid Peter-pence, 2d. ob. the present valor in the King's Books is 6l. 14s. 2d.; has a long nave covered with lead, and a chancel tiled, with a square tower at the west end.


1311, John de Leges, rector, presented by Sir Richard Foylyot, Knt.

1312, Thomas de Leges, by ditto.

Thomas de Burwell occurs rector in the 18th of Edward III.

1365, Adam Vynour, by Sir Hugh de Hastings.

1373, John de Kirkeby, by Sir Hugh, &c.

Thomas Paxman, rector.

John Elomy occurs rector in 1407.

1451, John Grice, by John Wymondham, Esq. and the Lady Margaret Hastyngs his wife.

William Herryson, rector.

1491, Robert Woodhouse, by Sir John Hastings.

1499, Oliver Brigges, by ditto.

1519, John Warner, by Katharine, one of the daughters and heirs of Robert L'Estrange, Esq. and relict of John Hastings, Esq. son of Sir George Hastyngs, Knt.

1556, John Basse, by Katharine, widow of Sir Hastyngs, Knt.

1560, John Wright, by Hamon L'Estrange, Esq.

1577, John Dey, by ditto,

1591, Robert Pepper, by Richard Stubbs, Esq. hac vice.

1592, William Spilman, by Sir John Peyton, Knt. Roger L'Estrange, &c.

1637, William Swift, by Sir Ham. L'Estrange.

1646, Richard Tayler. Ditto.

1664, Christopher Moulton, by Sir Nicholas L'Estrange, Baronet.

1670, Thomas Mobbs, A.M. by John Cook of Holkham.

1677, Thomas Le Strange, A.M. by Sir Nicholas le Strange, Bart.

1694, Thomas Burges. Ditto.

1703, John Franklin, by Sir Nich. le Strange, Bart.

1705, James Martin. Ditto.

1711, Thomas Mangey. Ditto.

1712, John Jarvis, by Sir Nicholas Le Strange, Bart.

1756, Mr. Rash Bird, by Sir Henry Le Strange, Bart.

In this church was the guild of St. Margaret.


  • 1. T're. Willi de Warenna.—In Stanwelda ii car. t're. tenuer. xxxiii libi. ho'es, sub Stigando soca et com'd semp. v bord. et viac. p'ti. semp. intr. totu' x car. silva lx porc. tc. val. xl sol. modo lx hoc e de esc. de Laq' is soca in Mulha' Regis.
  • 2. T're Alani Comitis. In Stanfelda vi ac. t're. qua' tenet filij Almari qd. tenuer. ii soc. Stigandi. T.R.E.