Launditch Hundred: Worthing

Pages 59-60

An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



Is a hamlet in the parish and lordship of Swanton, seated in an Ing or low ground, between, and near to the place where two rivers meet and unite: such a site is called by the Germans, Werd, or Werdt, as Keiserwerd and Donawert in Germany, and there is an old proverb in the neighbourhood—Worse and worse, as Worthing-mill.

Henry de Rie, by deed sans date, gave to the monks of Castleacre, the mill of Worthing, with Thurstane the miller, his mother and brothers, with all his substance, and by another deed gave them the services of Philip, and Adelwald, and confirmed to them a tenement with lands, and meadows of Philip Belet, for which he received 2 marks; witnesses, Luke de Hoo, alias priest of Swanton, Hilbert his dapifer, &c. (fn. 1)

Rehald, son of Henry de Wdecote, by deed sans date, released to them all the land, which he held here of Philip Belet for 9 marks, which they gave him.

Robert, son of Rosceline, agreed not to molest them in their men and tenements here and in Goldruna.

Lands here were granted July 1, in the 7th of Edward VI. to Thomas Gresham, late in the tenure of Christopher Preston.

Thomas Warner held 4 messuages, with the appertenances, of Queen Elizabeth, in capite, and William Warner, his son and heir, held, in the 15th of Elizabeth, 17 acres, late parcel of the possessions of Castleacre priory, and 3 acres called Le Holbred-land.

The chapel, or church, is covered with lead, and the chancel with thatch; the steeple, which was round, is in ruins, and one bell stands in the church thus inscribed,

In eternis annis resona campana Johannis.


  • 1. Regist. Castleac.