An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
Or Bikereston, was dedicated to St. Andrew, and was a parochial church, and had two rectors; Sir Will. de Mortimer was patron of one mediety, and Warine de Herford of the other; each rector had eleven acres glebe; the whole was valued at five marks, but not taxed; it paid procurations 3s. synodals 6s. Peter-pence, 8d.; at the revision in 1633, it is said to be a rectory or free chapel, but the chapel is profaned, the parishioners go to Barnham-Broom, to which rectory this was consolidated, Febr. 11, 1680.; it was valued in the King's Books at 2l. 6s. 8d. and pays 4s. 8d. tenths, and being valued with BurnhamBroom, it is undischarged.
Rectors of Herford's Mediety.
1307, 3 non. Maij, Adam de Herford, to Herford's mediety. John de Herford.
1313, 12 cal. Oct. Nic. de Blonorton of Swanton. Ditto.
1330, prid. non. Nov. Roger de Dingeley. Thomas de Hereford.
1335, 6 kal. Nov. John, son of Will. Payn of Swanton. Ditto.
1347, 15 April, William Bishop of Norwich consolidated the two medieties.
Rectors Of Mortimer's Mediety.
1295, Richard de Helmingham. Will. de Mortimer.
1314, 3 kal. July, John de Bernham. Sir Const. de Mortimer, Knt.
1334, id. Oct. Rob. Parker of Atleburgh. Ditto.
1361, 11 Sept. John Vincent. Will. de Bergh, &c.
1392, 12 March, John Kemp of Hingham. Lady Margery de Mortimer.
1399, 11 Dec. Ric. Atker of Depeham. Constantine Mortimer, Esq.
1405, 9 March, John Schepy. Lapse.
1411, 11 July, Hugh Lessey. Lapse.
1414, 2 Oct. Will. Evenwode. Constantine Mortimer, Esq.
1424, 30 May, Will. Hall. Lapse. Change with Hattleport, Lincoln diocese. Robert Mortimer, Esq.
1424, 6 July, Will. Hampton. Ditto.
1429, 30 April, Tho. Smith. O. Robert Mortimer, Esq. and Sibill his wife.
1435, 30 May, John Messenger. R. Ditto.
1438, 8 Jan. John Dalton. O. Ditto.
1439, 23 Oct. Will. Hardgrey. O. Ditto.
1447, 1 Aug. Tho. Lynes. Ditto.
1468, 11 Jan. John Mesand. Sir Rob. Wingfield, Knt. and Anne his wife.
1472, 29 Jan. Mr. Hen. Costessy. O. Ditto.
1483, 13 Aug. Mr. John Bendys. O. Anne, relict of Sir Rob. Wingfield, Knt.
1509, 10 May, Mr. Tho. Fincham. O. Lapse.
1518, 9 July, John Purpet, master of Rushworth college. David Selly.
1538, 20 Nov. Will. Lupton. O. Sir Robert Wingfield's assignee.
1545, 27 June, Will. Morison. O. Sir Edw. Chamberlain, Knt.
1550, 17 Sept. Nic. Corker. Geo. Chamberlain, Esq. Deprived.
1554, 2 March, Andrew Deane. Ditto.
John Corker. O.
1585, 10 Nov. Will. Thorowgood. O. Edw. Chamberlain, Gent. He had Grimston; the church had been down many ages.
1625, 11 Oct. Peter Weemyse. John Thorowgood, Gent.
1626, 28 Aug. Edw. Weld. Tho. Weld, Gent.
1645, 4 March, James Duport. Edw. Chamberlain, Esq.
Nic. Ganning. O. He had Bernham-Broome.
1680, 11 Febr. Sam. Ganning. Tho. Lord Crew. O. Consolidated to Bernham-Broome.
1708, 22 July, Herbert Davies. Arthur Earl of Torrington. He was admitted to it as consolidated or annexed to Barnham-Broom.
1729, 31 March, James Champion, A. M. was instituted to it single, at Sir John Woodhouse's presentation, and held it by union only, with Barnham-Broome. O.
1731, 27 March, The Rev. Mr. John Breese, A. M. at Champion's death; he is now rector, and holds it united to Hingham. Sir John Woodhouse, Bart. is the present  patron.
The Church is ruinated, and it hath been a sinecure for some time; it is now esteemed as an hamlet to Bernham-Broome. It used to pay 9s. 10d. to the tenths; it stood by the river's side, and was very small; it payed 1s. synodals, but no procurations. The Prior of Wymondham's temporals were taxed at 1s. 3d.
This town takes its name from its situation, it signifying the town by the kerr or carr, and had its original since the Conqueror's survey, it being then included in Bernham, and was owned by the Earl Warren, who granted a moiety of it to the family of the Hoos to be held at a quarter of a fee; John de Hoo was lord, and after him Samson de Hoo, who conveyed it to the Mortimers; the other moiety was in the Herfords; John de Herford was lord in 1307, and Tho. de Hereford or Herford in 1335, and each had a moiety of the advowson, till the moieties were joined about 1346, in the Mortimers, and then they were consolidated, and the manors united, and from this time it passed with Atleburgh, and was after enjoyed by John de Herlyng and Cecily his wife, the daughter and coheir, and continued till the extinction of that family in Anne, daughter of Sir Rob. Herling, whose husbands were lords here in her right, and held it of CastleAcre castle; and afterwards it went to the Chamberlains, and passed with Bernham-Broome, with which it is still joined, Sir John Woodhouse, Bart. being now lord and patron.