An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In this section
The Conqueror had a lordship, which Godric, his steward, took care of for him at the survey; of this Ralph Guader, late Earl of Norfolk. was deprived for his rebellion. Ralph Stalre possessed it in King Edward's reign, and it was held of him by six freemen; of one of these he had the soc, with 70 acres of land; one of them had also five bordarers. Among them all were five acres and a half of meadow, and three carucates, &c. It was one leuca long, and four furlongs broad, and paid 6d. gelt—Of the two villains here, in King Edward's time, the King had the soc, as the hundred witnesses, and had it in Earl Ralph's time, and now Godric his steward.—The soc of these was in the King, as the hundred witnesses; but Ralph Guader held it after he was made Earl of Norfolk. At the survey, Godric held it as steward to the King. (fn. 1)
Roger Bigot, ancestor to the Earls of Norfolk, had afterwards a grant of it from the Crown, and was held of that family, with the manor of Bokenham-Ferry.
Adam de Rattlesden was lord of it in the reign of Henry III. After the Ratlesdens William de Braham possessed it, and had successively the same lords, with Bokenham-Ferry, the Lady Hastings selling it to Richard Berney, Esq. who was lord and patron in 1740.
The Bishop of Norwich had also a lordship here, his manor of Bokenham-Ferry extending into this towu.
Arnold de Mounteny had an interest here, in the 20th of Henry III. and held lands of Robert Lord Fitz-Walter. John de Hasingham, in the 34th of that King, impleaded Adam de Hasingham, son of William, for the moiety of a messuage, and lands of inheritance, that William held of Arnold.
In the 9th of Edward II. Sir Arnold de Mounteny had a lordship, and held here, in Plumstede Parva, and Frethorp, a fee of the Earl of Rutland.
Nicholas Peyteyn, of Filby, in the 21st of Henry VII. held this manor of Hasingham, as appears from a rental.
The Church of Hasingham is a rectory; ancient valor 4l. and the present valor is the same, and discharged.—Peter-pence 7d.—Carvage 2½d.—Dedicated to St. Mary.
In 1319, Adam Haghenne was instituted, presented by Maud, late wife of Sym. de Rattlesden.
1328, William Bryd, by Adam de Tycheby.
1337, Richard le Palmer, by Sir John de Ratlesden, Knt.
1349, John Rayson. Ditto.
1368, John Coke, by Adam de Hautbois, rector of Cockfield, William de Braham, &c.
1378, William Lightfoot, by John de Pyeshule, clerk, &c.
1412, John Sandford, by William Golaundre, clerk, &c.
1412, Richard Lewis, by ditto, feoffees of the manor of Hasingham, appointed by the Lady Margaret Sencler.
1419, Robert Berdene, by Sir John Heveningham, Nicholas Wichingham, John Berney, &c.
1446, William Stallon, by Sir Henry Inglose.
1462, Thomas Gee, by William Norwich, &c.
1477, Thomas Spycer, by John Jermyn, Esq.
1486, Roger Umfrey. Ditto.
1489, John Croftys, by Thomas Jenney, Esq. and Elizabeth his wife.
1508, Henry Adcock, by Margaret Ydley, widow.
1514, Robert Hansart, S. T. P.
1517, Richard Wynship, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1520, Thomas Ellington, by Thomas Godsalve, Gent.
1531, Richard Savage, by T. Godsalve, Esq.
1554, Edmund Emmes, by Sir John Godsalve.
1557, John English, by the assignees of Elizabeth, relict of Sir John Godsalve.
1560, Gregory Madis. Ditto.
1564, Mr. George Leeds, A. M. Ditto.
Harman Godfrey, rector.
1580, Edmund Payng, by Thomas Godsalve, Esq.
1585, Stephen Gall. Ditto.
1585, Richard Newell. Ditto.
1636, Thomas Wolsey, by John Smith, Esq.
1668, Benjamin Shelton, by the bishop, a lapse.
1690, Nathaniel Wadsworth, by Denzil Onslow, Esq.
1692, William Newbery. Ditto.
1713, John Heywood, by ditto.
1717, John Mompesson, by Elizabeth Lady Hastings.
1722, Benjamin Ellis, D. D. by Richard Berney, Esq.