An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 8. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
WITCHINGHAM, MAGNA AND PARVA.
William de Scohies, or de Escois, had a lordship, of which Harduine, a freeman, was deprived; there belonged to it 3 carucates of land, 16 borderers, 4 servi, 2 carucates in demean, and one among the tenants, 8 acres of meadow, paunage for 5 swine, 2 mills, &c. 80 sheep, 30 goats; and 12 socmen had 80 acres of land, and 5 carucates and 2 acres of meadow; and there was a church belonging to it, but not endowed. (fn. 1)
This William de Scohies is, by some historians, said to be a Scotchman, but it appears that there was a town in Normandy called Escoües and Escoyes, of which church, &c. the abbey of Bec in Normandy were patrons; (fn. 2) from this town the family of Scohies took their name, so that it is plain, he was a Norman adventurer, and rewarded by the Conqueror, with 40 lordships in this county.
Rainald, son of Ivo, had a manor, out of which Ketel, a freeman was ejected, to which there belonged half a carucate, and 3 acres of land, (and Boter held it of Rainald) with one villain, and 10 borderers; there was also one carucate in demean, one carucate and 3 acres of meadow, of the tenants, with a mill, &c. valued at 20s. formerly, but at the survey at 30s. (fn. 3)
Walter Giffard was also lord of a fee held by a freeman in King Edward's reign consisting of half a carucate of land, one villain and 3 borderers belonged to it, and 2 socmen, with 3 acres of land, and 3 of meadow, &c. valued at 10s. but at the survey at 20s. (fn. 4)
These three lordships soon after the survey were in the Giffards, Earls of Bucks, and made up several lordships, which came by marriage to the Earls of Clare.
Walter Giffard, the second Earl of Bucks, confirmed to the monks of St. Faith's of Longuevile in Normandy, the grant of his father, and all that he possessed in Wichingham (excepting the fees of William and Ralph de Lions, and Botery) together with the church of St. Mary and all its appertenances, with the tithe of his demean, also the church of St. Faith's in the said village, with all its appertenances, and the fisheries, &c. witnesses, Roger Earl of Clare, Richard his brother, Hugh de Bolebec, Ralph de Langetot, alias Giffard, Hugh de Newers, William de Redeham, Godfrey Botery, &c.
In the 19th of Edward II. Philip, the prior of Longuevile, and the convent of the order of Cluny and diocese of Roan, confirmed to John de Dalling, citizen and mercer of London, and Joan his wife, a messuage and 7 acres of arable land: the convent's seal to this is broke off, but that of the prior remains, which is oblong, of blue wax, with his impress or figure, in his robes, standing upright; the legend, Sigill. Secret. Sce. Fidis de Longavile. After this, in the French wars King Edward III. seized on the temporalities of this priory, as an alien, and in the reign of Richard II. Sir Gilbert Talbot of Waddeley in Berkshire farmed all the lands of this priory in England of the King, and Sir Ralph Rochford in the 9th of Henry VI. at this time the temporalities of the priory in this town were taxed at 10l. 4s. 8d.
In 1440, King Henry VI. granted this lordship to New College in Oxford, at the instance and request of Thomas Bekington Bishop of Bath and Wells, who in the college evidences is styled, Tho. Wellensis Episc. Collegii, Sustentator præcipuus.
The college and their tenants, plead great privileges, granted and confirmed by the Kings of England, viz.—Discharged from toll in fairs and markets where it belonged to the King, or granted from the Crown, since the 2d year of Richard II.—Discharged from all duties of carriage, and of bridges; and for landing any thing on the King's keys or wharfs, or for shipping any thing, from them; from lastage, &c. and a discharge from all suits and services of the King's hundred courts, wepentakes, letes, &c.
This manor is still in new college. Oliver Le Neve, Esq. held it by lease in 1680, &c.
In the first of King John, William de Bellomonte and Muriel his wife conveyed by fine to Gilbert de Langtot, the service of two knights fees, and the third part of one in this town Saxlingham, Byntre, Ikeburgh, &c. and Sara de Wychingham was found in the 31st of Henry III. to hold the fourth part of a fee here of Robert Langtoft, he of the Earl Gloucester, and the Earl of the King; she was then the widow of Walter de Wichingham, descended of an ancient family who had soon after the conquest an interest here. William, son of Wych r de Wychyngham, was living in the reign of King Stephen, and Roger de Wychingham was father of Walter aforesaid, whose son Walter was living in the 53d of Henry III. when Robert de Newton, sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk, received 10s. 8d. of him to excuse him from being a knight; and the said Walter was lord and kept a court in the 7th of Edward I (fn. 5) —Roger, son of Walter, was living in the said reign, and granted messuages, lands, &c. to Sarah, widow of Walter.
Sir William de Wychingham, son of Richard de Wichingham, was lord in the 33d of Edward III.; he was bred to the law, of which he was a serjeant, and a judge of the Common-pleas in 1363; by his will proved March 25, 1381, he was buried in the south isle of Wichingham St. Mary's church, which he had built; gives legacies to Margaret his wife, (fn. 6) to Richer, Nicholas, and William, his sons, and to William Caley and Dionysia his wife, who was his daughter.
Of this family was Sir Geffery Wichyngham, (fn. 7) lord mayor of London in 1346, who with the justices, Robert de Sadyngton, William de Thorp, and William Trussell was to enquire into the escapes of John de Graham Earl of Monteith, and Duncan Earl of Fyfe, Scotch nobelmen, prisoners in England, and bore for his arms, as Sir William did, ermine, on a chief, sable, three crosses pattée, or.—Also Hugh de Wychingham, brother of Sir Geffrey, a merchant of London, who was appointed by patent in the 30th of Edward III. exchanger and assayer of the mint, which office was held before by Henry de Brisle, a Norfolk man.
Richer, eldest son of Sir William, married Alice, and died sans issue, he was buried according to his will, dated in 1384, in the church aforesaid, and proved November 10, following.
Nicholas de Wychingham succeeded his brother Richer, and married first, Alice, daughter of Roger Flete, citizen and draper of London, and was seized in her right of the manor of Totham Parva, in Essex, by whom he had William, his son and heir, Alice, married to Sir Roger Harsike of Southacre, and Margery to Sir Robert Tudenham of Oxburgh; his 2d wife was Joan, by whom he had Edmund of Woodrising in Norfolk, who married Alice, daughter and heir of Sir John Falstolf of Fishley, by whom he had 4 daughters and coheirs; Amy, who, married Richard Southwell of Wood-Rising, Esq. Frances, to Sir William Mull of Harscomb in Gloucestershire, Joan to Robert Longstrather, and after to Robert Boys, of Honing in Norfolk, and Elizabeth to William Bardwell, Esq. of West Herling.
The will of Nicholas is dated at Wood-Rising in 1430, and he was buried before the high cross, (by his first wife,) in the church of St. Mary of Wichingham; gives legacies to that church, and those of St. Faith's in Wichingham, Alderford, Whitwell, Hankford, Salthous, Geyst, Wood-Rysing, Sotherton, and Antingham, where he had lordships or lands; (fn. 8) to Edmund, his son, the manors of Wood-Rysing, Salthouse, and Kelling, with that of Geyst, paying an annuity of 8 marks to William Wichingham (brother of Robert) his grandson; to Joan his wife, the manor of Antingham, who was his executrix, and proved his will in 1433, and dying in 1459, was buried in the church of the Friars-preachers of Norwich. (fn. 9)
William, eldest son of Nicholas aforesaid, married, and left Robert, his son, and heir to his grandfather Nicholas, his father William dying before him; his said grandfather left by will to the said Robert, the manor of Thorp-hall, in Hackford, with lands, rents and services in Wichingham St. Faith's, Swanington, Alderford, Weston, Brandeston, Attlebrigg, Kerdeston, Refham, Whitwell, &c.
Robert de Wychingham, Esq. married Agnes, daughter and heir of Robert Walton, Esq. by whom he had John, his son and heir, and died in the 29th of Henry VI. Agnes his widow remarried James Arblaster, Esq. This John died in the 3d of Henry VII. lord also of Fishle Burghhall, and Reedham Park-hall, and left John, his son and heir, who by Ann his wife, daughter of Thomas Brampton, Esq. of Brampton in Norfolk, left 3 daughters and coheirs; Thomasine, aged 10 years, Elizabeth 5, and Oliva 4; as appears from the eschaet rolls in the 21st of Henry VII. Ann survived him, and in th 24th of Henry VIII. was the relict of Thomas Garnish.
Thomasyne married — Leak, and in the 38th of Henry VIII. May 16, by the name of Thomasyne Leak, sold all her right in this lordship to George Horseman, Esq. Elizabeth married Christopher Coot of Blow-Norton, Esq. and Oliva to — Rookwood, who conveyed also their interest herein to their sister Thomasine, or to Horsman, who was lord of this manor: and in the 38th of that King granted off a parcel of the demeans, and made it copyhold, as appears from a court roll, "Dominus de suâ prudentiâ propriâ, in incremetum et augmentationem, redditus sui p. curiam suam concessit, extra manus suas Henrico Frances heredibus et assignatis suis, ad voluntatem Domini, &c."
On October 14, in the 14th of Elizabeth, Sir Christopher Haydon paid his fine for entering on this manor, held of the honour of Gloucester and Clare, which he had lately bought of Henry Horseman, son of George; and Sir Christopher conveyed it in the 18th of that Queen, to Christopher Layer, alderman of Norwich, and on his death, June 19, 1600, Thomas Layer, son of Augustine, son and heir of Christopher, was found to be his cousin and heir.
In 1649, October 2, Christopher Layer of Boton in Norfolk, and Susan his wife, and Thomas Layer of Beccles, Esq. sold it to Oliver Le Neve, Esq. who bought the letes (of Mr. Hunt, lord of the hundred) of Wichingham Magna and Parva.
John Norris, Esq. of Witton, bought privily the reversion of this estate of John Neve, a blacksmith of London, Oliver having no sons, and it being entailed, came to his brother, Peter Le Neve, Esq. Norroy, who died s. p. so that the heirs of Norris now possess it in the right of the said reversion thus purchased, as is said.
Peter Le Neve, Esq. brother of Oliver, was Norroy King at Arms, sent with the ensigns of the noble order of the Garter, by King George the First, to his brother, Prince —, Bishop of Osnaburgh in Germany; a gentleman eminent for his judgment and skill in all parts of history and antiquity, and particularly in heraldry, a collector and purchaser of many ancient and valuable MSS. and records; of indefatigable pains and industry, in the study of those that related to this county, as his collections that he left sufficiently testify.
He was educated at Merchant-Taylors School in London.
Sir Jeffrey de Muthorp, Knt. granted to Walter, son of William de Middleton, for 200 marks of silver, all his manor in Witchingham, by Refham, with the appertenances, parks, fisheries, foldages, &c. by deed sans date—witnesses, Sir William de Kerdeston, Sir William Gyney, Sir Robert Baynard, &c. and Walter de Middleton, and William his son, were witnesses to the deed in the reign of Edward I.
William de Middleton, in the 4th of Edward I. was one the keepers of the tallages assigned on the Jews, and custos brevium of the Common-pleas, and held this lordship of the honour of Gloucester and Clare. Walter de Middleton was an eminent lawyer, attornatus in Banco Regis, retained by Thomas, abbot of Bury, as their standing council, by pension of 13s. 4d. per ann. about 1310.
In the 28th of Edward I. Walter de Middleton and Maud his wife purchased by fine of Simon de Kelling, &c. 7 messuages, a mill, 63 acres of land, 3 of wood, and 26s. rent, in the towns of Wichingham, Alderford, Sparham, &c.—Maud his wife survived him, and married William Gyney, who granted or leased the manor in the 9th of Edward II. to Thomas Athelwald of Weston, at 12 marks per ann. sterling during the life of Maud.
In the 27th of Edward III. William de Middleton, and Isabella his wife, had grant from Thomas, abbot of Wendling, and the convent, of a messuage in Norwich, in Conesford-street, on the north side of St. Clement's church, with the advowson of that church, for their lives: this William sealed with a fess between three crosses.
William, son of Walter de Middleton of Wichingham St. Mary, grants in the 3d of Henry VI. to Thomas his son, and Joan daughter of William Dyches of Salle, and their heirs, on a marriage, this lordship; Joan, widow of William, (who died in the 4th of the aforesaid King) was living in the 5th of the said King, and Thomas, son of William, was found to hold it by the fourth part of a fee, of the honour of Gloucester and Clare.
Thomas Middleton, chapman, of St. Clement's without Temple-bar, London, son and heir of Thomas aforesaid, released it to Thomas Bryce, citizen and mercer of London, October 29, in the 31st of Henry VI. and Thomas Bryce and Margaret his wife passed it by fine to Sir John Paston and James Arblaster, from the heirs of Margaret, in the 9th of Edward IV.
James Arblaster, Esq. son of James, was lord in the 21st of Henry VII. and Ralph his son, in the 11th of Henry VIII.; but in the 17th of that King, Miles Groos, Gent. and in the first of Edward VI. George Horseman, Esq. of Boton, who died possessed of it in 1558, when it came to his eldest son Henry, who in the 12th of Elizabeth, conveyed this lordship and that of Wichingham's with 4 messuages, 4 cottages, 8 tofts, 6 gardens, 8 orchards, 300 acres of land, 30 of meadow, 100 of pasture, 10 of wood, 10 of alder, with 40s. rent, and a fold-course in the Wichinghams, Alderford, Hackford, &c. to Sir Christopher Haydon; from Sir Christopher it passed to Christopher Layer, and from the Layers, to Oliver Le Neve, as may be seen in Wichingham manor, and so to John Norris, Esq.
John De Aula, or Hall, was living in reign of Edward I. and kept a court in the 33d of that King, and held this lordship of the honour of Clare, by the fourth part of a fee; Margaret, widow of John, son of John de Aula, was living in the 6th of Edward III. and Gyles, son of John de Aula, in the 10th of that King; in the 26th of whose reign, Gyles conveyed it to Sir William de Wychingham; the rent of assise was then 54s. 9d. in this family in continued till Edmund Wichingham, Esq. settled it in the 38th of Henry VI. on Sir John Paston and James Arblaster, Esq. and James, his son, sold in the 21st of Henry VII. to Robert Ferrar, draper of Norwich, and William Potter, alderman of that city, who in the 17th of Henry VIII. conveyed it to Miles Gross, from whom it came to Horseman, and Frances Horseman, widow of George Horseman, kept her court, in the 1st of Elizabeth: she remarried Robert Glascock, who was lord in her right, in the 7th of that Queen; and Henry Horseman passed it to Sir Christopher Haydon, and so it came to Layer, and Le Neve, as above, &c.
Took its name from an ancient family. Robert le Breton was living in the reign of Richard I. and William Breton in the 18th of Henry III. who was made a justice of the Jews, and associated to Henry de Bath, and Elias de Sunninge.
Thorald le Breton was living at Wichingham in the 31st of that King, and married Aveline, daughter or sister, of Ralph le Vilechen of Holkham. (fn. 10)
Robert de Norton, sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk, received in the 53d of the said reign, 10s. 8d. of William le Breton, to excuse him from being a knight.
Edmund de Breton of Wichingham, by Ermitrude his wife, was father of William Breton, who lived in the reign of Edward I. and married Elizabeth, daughter and coheir of—Yermouth, by whom he had William his son.
Of this family was also John Breton Bishop of Hereford, LL. D. in the reign of Henry III. and died in 1275, who wrote his treatise De Juribus Anglicanis, at the command of the King; and John Breton who married Mary, daughter and coheir of Sir Hamon Felton, of Litcham.
In the 6th of Edward III. William Breton purchased of Robert Falstof, lands, &c. in Winterton; and in the 16th of that King, he and Elizabeth his wife, conveyed this lordship to William his son, and Isabell his wife, daughter of John de Berney, or (as some) of —de Kerdeston; and this William is said to be the father of John Breton of Wichingham, who married Mary, daughter and coheir of Sir Hamon Felton, by whom he had John, his son and heir, who married Margaret, daguther of Ralph, sister of Edward Gerbridge of Wichkhampton, Esq. by whom he had Edward, his eldest son, who married Margery, daughter of Simon Blyant, and dying without issue, was succeeded by his brother Robert, who died in the 5th of Henry VI. and left by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Thomas Brampton of Brampton, Esq. Thomas, living in the 28th of Henry VIII. who by Margery his wife, daughter of Thomas Jermy of Metfield, in Suffolk, Esq. had Thomas, his son and heir, lord of this manor, and of Felmingham in Norfolk, who kept his first court here in the 30th of Henry VIII. and by Eleanor his wife, daughter of James Whynborough of Whynborough, had Henry, his son and heir; Eleanor, widow of Thomas, kept her first court here in the first of Edward VI. Henry Breton, Gent. lived at Felmingham, and married Martha, daughter of Ralph Symonds of Cley, by Holt, in Norfolk; he held his first court in the 3d of Elizabeth, on the death of his mother, Eleanor.
In the 8th of Elizabeth, Robert Rogers, Gent. was lord, and kept his first court, and occurs in the 21st of Elizabeth; but on an inquisition taken at Norwich, August 10, in the 40th of that Queen, John Bendysh, Gent. was found to die July 16, in the 38th of the said Queen, seized of this manor, and lands held of the manor of Longevile, and so of the honour of Clare, and Francis was his son and heir, aged 14, and lord in 1621.
Afterwards it was possessed by—Edwards of Belaugh, who sold it in 1721, to Mr. James Peterston, yeoman.
Breton bore quarterly, p. fess indented, gules and argent, a mullet, in the first quarter sable.
Godric had at the survey, the care of a manor belonging to the King, held by 3 freemen in King Edward's reign; 2 villains and 9 borderers, belonged to it, with a carucate and an half of land, and 4 carucates and 9 acres of meadow, valued at 20s. but at the survey paid 30s. quitrent. (fn. 11)
This seems to be afterwards in the Giffards, and so was united to the honour of Clare, and became part of the lordships of Wichingham, Middleton, &c.
St. Bennet's Abbey Of Holm
Had also a little lordship, given to that monastery in the Saxon age, to find provision for the monks; half a carucate of land, with one borderer, and a carucate and two acres of meadow belonged to it, valued at 10s. per ann. and the soc was in the King's manor of Folsham. (fn. 12)
The site of it was in Wichingham Parva, or St. Faith's, and was given to St. Bennet's abbey, by Ernaldus, a Saxon; Hugh, the abbot, in the reign of King Stephen, granted it to Roger de Turtevile and his heirs, paying 10s. per ann. to the convent. (fn. 13)
In the 19th of Henry III. the prior of Walsingham had an interest herein, and there was an agreement between him and the Abbot of Holm, about the payment of the 10s. per ann. said to be issuing out of a tenement of William's, son of Jeffrey de Turtevile, that the prior should pay it to the Abbot, and do homage and pay relief for it.
Robert de Turtevile, son of William, and Agatha his wife, were living in the 34th of Henry III. and gave lands in South Walsham to the abbey of Holm, and Walter Turtevile, and Agnes his wife, in the 16th of Edward I.
It was after in the Berneys, and John Berney of Reedham, by his will in 1440, gave it to his son John, in tail; in the 38th of Henry VI. John Berney, and Margaret his wife, convey it with 2 messuages, 100 acres of land, 5 of meadow, 80 of pasture, 8 of wood, and 20s. rent in Wichingham, St. Faith's, and St. Mary's, Alderford, Attlebrigg, &c. to Henry Richers, Esq. in trust, and John Berney, Esq. was found to die seized of it in the 19th of Henry VIII. held by fealty and 15s. rent, of the manor of Castleacre. Henry Richers after held it, and sold it to his brother, Robert Richers, Gent. of Swanington, in the 6th of Edward VI. September 22, for 250l.
In the 14th of Charles I. Ralph Outlaw was lord; and in 1664, Thomas Outlaw.
Another lordship was possessed by Eustace Earl of Bologne, in Normandy, which Godwin, a freeman, (father, as I take it, of King Harold, and Earl of Kent,) held in the Confessor's reign, and descended to his son Harold; it consisted of 2 carucates of land, held by 2 villains, and 18 borderers, with 3 servi, 2 carucates in demean, and 3 among the tenants, with 3 acres of meadow, 2 mills, 2 runci, or beasts of burthen, 12 cows, 24 swine, 80 sheep, and 4 skeps of bees; and 8 socmen had 20 acres of land; they belong to the soc of Folsham, but the Earl held them; there were 2 carucates and an acre of meadow, then valued at 100s. at the survey at 7l. per ann.
Bartholomew de Antingham was lord in the 52d of Henry III. in which year William Kerdeston of Bintre, and Cecil his wife, passed by fine, to him, 2 messuages, 170 acres of land, 9s. rent, a mill, 2 acres of wood, 13 of meadow in Wichingham Parva, Alderford, &c. Sir Bartholomew died seized of it in the 16th of Edward I. held of Bertram de Criol, as part of the barony of Averenches, in Kent, who married one of the 3 daughters and coheirs of Hamon Crevequer, by the service of one Knight's fee and 3 quarters, and paying to the wardship of Dover castle at the end of every 28 weeks, 17s. and 6d. the rent of assise was then found to be 66s. per ann.
In the 15th of Edward II. Roger de Antingham, son of Bartholomew, had a charter of free warren, and in the said years this lordship was settled on Roger and Amicia his wife, for life, remainder on Bartholomew their son; and by a compotus of Robert Avori, bailiff of the court in the 17th of Edward III. it appears that the profits of it in that year, were 44s. 2d. that an halfpenny was paid to the sheriff's turn, to Dover castle ward, November 8, 14d. and 14d. on May 22, for the carriage of it, 5s. 2d. on those 2 days; and to Sir Richard, parson of Antingham, coming to Causton fair.
The jury in the 39th of Edward III. find that Bartholomew de Antingham, Sir John de Repps, John Boyden, John de Somerton, &c. held lands and tenements in Wichingham and Holt, of Sir William de Morley, valued at 10s. per ann.
In the 17th of Edward IV. John Berney, Esq. of Wichingham, died seized of this manor in Wichingham, St. Faith's; John Berney was lord in the reign of Henry VIII. and left it to his son John. On Saturday before the feast of St. Michael, in the 4th of Queen Elizabeth, Martyn Berney, Esq. son of Robert Berney, Esq. of Gunton, held his first court as lord of Cley Hall, Robert his father dying possessed of it December 26, in the 5th and 6th of Philip and Mary, paying 17s. and 6d. every 26 weeks, to the guard of Dover castle. In the 40th of Elizabeth, May 28, Martin Berney, and Margaret his wife, Christopher Grimston of Grey's Inn, Esq. and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Martin Berney, conveyed it by fine, to William Collins, who in the said year passed it to Edward Turner.
It came afterwards to the Outlaws, and Elizabeth Outlaw, widow, kept her first court on the last day of March, 1670. Thomas Outlaw of Wichingham Parva was living in 1620, and by Mary his wife, daughter of — Corie, was father of Ralph, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert, and sister of Sir Robert Kemp, of Spain's Hall, in Finchingfield, Essex, by whom he had Thomas, his son and heir, living in 1664, and had by Sarah his wife, daughter of William Hunt, Esq. of Hilderston, (son of Sir Thomas Hunt,) Ralph his son and heir, who married first Ursula, daughter of Richers Brown of Fulmerston; his 2d wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Adams of Norwich, and dying sans issue, about 1670, left part of his estate to — Brown of Saxthorp, and part to Elizabeth his wife, who afterwards married Gyles Cutting, an attorney.
Antingham bore sable, a bend, argent.
Outlaw, argent, a saltire between four foxes, or wolves heads, couped, gules.
John de Berney was lord in the 12th of Edward III. and granted to Alice, daughter of Simon Est, an annuity of 4l. for life, out of it, and agreed to be therewith content, so long as she lived in the company of the said John, and was found at his cost with meat, drink, clothes, &c. but that on the hour the said John should marry, he should give towards her marriage, 30 marks, and provide her a convenient chamber de lynge & launge, then the said annuity to be void; this agreement was sealed by her at Burgh, near Brok, the morrow after St. Luke's day.
Robert de Mouton, and Felicia his wife, conveyed by fine to John de Berney, in the 24th of that King, 4 messuages, 48 acres of land, 5 of meadow, and 6s. rent, with the homages and services of divers persons in the Wichinghams, Alderford, &c. for 40 marks of silver; and in the 37th of that reign, Henry de Moresley, and Margaret his wife, granted lands here to John de Berney, and Thomas his son, with homages and services; in the 39th year, William de Burgh, parson of Cantley, and John de Heveningham, convey a messuage, two tofts, 76 acres of land, 3 of meadow, 6 of wood, 4 of alder, and 25s. rent here, &c. to John de Berney, and Catherine his wife, for life, remainder to Thomas and Robert.
John de Berney, by his will, dated in 1373, was to be buried in the church of the Holy Trinity, of Norwich, by Joan his late wife, if the prior and convent consent, if not, in the chapel of St. Ann (fn. 14) built by him, and adjoining to the church of Burgh, by Sarah his wife; she was daughter of Sir Barth. Bateman: Catherine his 2d wife, was daughter of Peter de Bedingfeld, (by the first he had 2 sons, Robert and Thomas,) orders 20l. for his funeral expenses; gives to Wichingham, St. Mary's church, 20s. and to St. Faith's 10s.
Sir Robert his son was a knight bachelor of John of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, sheriff of Norfolk in the reign of Henry IV. and married Margaret, daughter of John Appleyard, Esq. or (as some say) of Walter de Walcote, and widow of Roger de Welisham; he died in 1415. Margaret survived him, and was buried in the church of Runhale, before the altar of St. Catherine, as by her will, dated at Gunton, on Friday after the Epiphany, in the 3d of Henry V. (fn. 15) John Berney, only living son of Sir Robert, was lord in the 4th of Henry V. and John Berney, Esq. in the 19th of Henry VI. and in the 28th of that King, John Bernard held it in right of Joan his wife, relict of John Berney; John Berney, Esq. was lord in the 38th of that King, and on December 22, 1471, administration of the goods, &c. of John Berney, Esq. late of Wichingham, was granted Joan his relict. (fn. 16)
Robert Berney was lord in 1524, John Berney, Esq. in 1530, and Martin Berney in the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
After this, it was in Thomas Allen, a citizen of London, about the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign, the last of which family was Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Thomas Aleyn of Street Hall, who married William Bladwell, eldest son of William Bladwell of Swannington, Esq. and afterwards John Herne, 2d son of — Herne of Haverland, in Norfolk, Esq. who died September 15, 1713, and was buried (where she lived) at Twayte in Norfolk.
The tenths of Great Wichingham were 7l. 16s. Deducted 16s. and of Little Wichingham, 2l. 15s. 10d. Deducted 6s.
Lenwaden bridge in this town, was found at a general session held at Norwich, January 10, 1653, to be a county bridge, and to be repaired by the county of Norfolk.
The temporalities of Walsingham priory were 15s.
The Church of Great Wichingham is dedicated to St. Mary, was anciently a rectory, granted to the priory of Longuevile, by Walter Giffard Earl of Bucks, and appropriated to it, valued at 40 marks, and a vicarage was settled, valued at 6 marks and an half, in the patronage of the said priory, after of New College in Oxford, and paid Peter-pence, 10d. The prior and convent of Norwich had 2 garbs of the tithes of the demeans of Jeffrey, son of William de Leons, farmed of them, (as appears (fn. 17) ) at 7s. per ann. and demised to Joan, Lady Bardolf, in the 22d of Henry VI. at 20s. per ann. The present valor is 4l. 17s. 10d. This portion was granted at the Dissolution to the dean and chapter of Norwich, and was in 1660, 12s. per ann. John de Grey Bishop of Norwich granted it, and Bishop Blumvile confirmed it.
1312, William de Baldeswell instituted vicar, nominated by the Bishop of Norwich, and presented by the proctor of the prior, and convent of Longevile.
1332, John Badele. Ditto.
John Stoner vicar.
1337, Nicholas Sutheved.
1371, Peter Atte-Townsend, presented by the King, and nominated by the Bishop.
1414, William Ham.
1419, Henry Sweyn.
1431, William Fulter.
Richard Betts occurs in 1488.
Robert Child occurs in 1492 vicar.
1505, Robert Este, by the master of St. Mary's of Winchester college.
1513, Richard Cragge.
1519, William Twayts, decret. doctor.
1525, William Howseman.
1551, Hen. Saxon.
1551, Henry Lewen.
1557, James Stankye.
1561, John Skotte.
1581, Ed. Muslebrook.
1613, William More.
1615, John Green.
1640, Henry Complyn, vicar.
1651, Thomas Whitby.
1665, William Bearcliff.
1670, James Sacheverell.
1711, Edward Somervile, by New college.
1722, Sacheverel Bookey, by New college.
The vicar pays a portion of 3s. 4d. to New College, per ann.
The church and chancel are covered with lead, and has a square tower with 4 bells.
In the chancel a gravestone,
In memory of Francis Le Neve and Margaret his wife, who lived in a wedded estate 53 years, and died on St. Peter's day 1616, and she in 1618.
Hen. Le Neve, Gent: who died, --th Sept. 1652.—In memory of Francis Le Neve, Esq; and Alice his wife, he died Sept. 25, 1652, aged 79.
Here lyeth Oliver Le Neve Esq; a faithful subject of the king, an obedient son of the church, a stout patron of justice, and a true lover of his countrey, no friend to popery or presbytery, but a zealous assertor of the church of England, as the nearest to primitive christianty, and the very sanctuary of the English interest, liberty and property; he was for his intellectuals of a most sound, solid, deep, and piercing judgment; for his morals of a most prudent, sober, grave, just, generous, and every way obliging, vertuous conversation, wherein he eminently excelled, and was therein constant to his death, which was Jan. 21, 1678, and in the 78 year of his age.
May his posterity immortalize his name by imitation of his virtues.
Vir bonus est hic, qui ut leges patriæ, sic sacram religionem firmiter excoluit.
Near this stone lyeth the dust of Oliver Le Neve, Esq; late one of the justices of the peace, and captain of a foot company of the militia, of this county; second son of Francis Le Neve, gentleman, citizen and --- of London, and of Avice his wife daughter of Peter Wright and sister of Peter Wright of London, merchants, he died on the 23, of ---, 17-- and was buried on the 26th of the same month; leaving by his first wife, Anne, only daughter of Sir John Gaudy, of West Herling in this county, Bt. (who lyeth by his side) three daughters and co heirs, Isabelld, Anne, and Henrietta Le Neve, who caused, --- to be laid. As also what remains of Elizab. his 3d wife, daughter and co-heir expectant of Robt Sheffield of Kensington, Esq; gradson of Edm. Earl of Mulgrave, long --- she died suddenly on the 8th day of Nov. 1707, without a child and buried here on the 12th day of the same month.
For Anne, Wife of Oliver Le Neve, Esq; only daughter of Sir John Gaudy of West Herling, Bt. who died Feb. 10, 1695, aged 31 years: with the arms of Le Neve and Gaudy.
Mortalibus exuviis hic depositis, dormit beatam præstolans anastasin (cum surgite novissimum resonabitur) fæmina e pluribus lectissima, Jana, Joh. Kvyvet, Equitis de Balneo, filia, ---, præter unam minima, virtutibus tamen magna, Oliverj Le Neve, Armigeri, uxor altera, sed nulli secunda. Utpote quæ viro, suisq; omnibus, non unquam erat, nisi moriendo, gravis; obt. 19 Junij, anno salutis nostræ, 1704.
Here lyeth the body of Elizab. wife of Oliver Le Neve, Esq; who died Jan. 23s 1658,
In memory of Anne Gardiner, wife of Michael Gardiner, of the Inner Temple, Esq; daughter of Sir John Kelling Kt. late lord chief justice of England, by Martha his wife, daughter to Sir Thomas Boteler of Bedfordshire, Kt. she died Sep. 29, 1673
In memory of Thomas Playter, son of John Playter of Satterley in Suffolk, Esq; (after Sir John Playter, Bt.) and Isabel his wife, who died 1678.
On a gravestone in the church,
Hic jacet Will'us de Wychingham, Amigi. qui obijt 12° die mensis Maij Ao. Dni. 1414—with the arms of Wichingham, on a brass plate.
Orate p. a'i'a Johanne Berney, filie Radulphi Berney, Armigeri.
Orate p. a'i'a Johs. Berney filij Radulfi Berney de Wichingh. Armig.
Sub hoc marmore deposuit exuvias carnis Joh. Bird, Generos. vir satur dierum ac honorum, qui post peractam quatuor coronis Britannicis in aulá regia fideliatem, (fn. 18) jam tandem ad præstandum, quintæ coronæ obsequium imperatur, sed quinta corona ipsissima perenni et --- sera morte insignitus est. Denuo post tot exantlatos labores et consummatos honores in octogesimo sexto ætatis suæ curriculo denatus est Jul. 28, A. D. 1660, a terrestri hoc pulvere in cæliste fastigium evectus est.
A monument on the wall by the screen,
Geo. Meres, Esq; born at Saleby in Lincolnshire, and Alice his wife, daughter of Robert Jenyson of Burnham Market, Esq; the parents of Susan, wife of John Bird of Wichingham, Gent. George died 1636, and Alice, 1638:— with the arms of Meres, gules, a fess, between two swans proper, Jenyson.
In memory of Tho. Alleyn of Wichingham Magna, Gent: who died Feb. 3, 1650, and his 2 wifes:—with the arms of Alleyn, p. bend sinister, frappèe, argent and sable, six martlets counterchanged, and this distich:
Death here advantage hath of life I spye, One husband with two wifes at once may lye.
In the chancel are several achievements; Le Neve, argent, on a cross sable, five lis of the first impaling, Gaudy, vert, a tortoise, passant, argent;—Le Neve, impaling Knevet, argent, a bend and bordure ingrailed, sable;—Le Neve, impaling Sheffield.
Le Neve, impaling Corey, sable, on a chevron, between three griffins heads, or, three mullets pierced, gules. Le Neve impaling Havers.
At the east end of the south isle was a chapel belonging to Stretehall: in the windows, the arms of Berney, per pale, azure and gules, a cross ingrailed, ermine, impaling azure, a chevron, between three seapies, proper, Holditch of Ranworth.
In the windows of the church, the arms of Berney, Wichingham, Morley; Berney, impaling azure, a chevron, or, between howlets, argent, beaked and peded, of the 1st, Appleyard. Berney impaling Walcot, with—Orate p. a'i'a Robti Berney et Margarete, et uxor ejus; his Sir Rob. seems to have had 2 wives; Appleyard and Walcot—Berney, impaling Bedingfield, argent, two chevronels, sable, between three roses, gules, leafed and seeded proper, the arms of New College in Oxford, and of Bishop Wickham, their founder.
Beatrix Doraunt, widow, buried in the churchyard in 1473, gave legacies to St. Mary, and St. John Baptist's guilds, to St. Mary light, those of St. Christopher, the Holy Trinity, and our Lady of Pity. Thomas Frary, buried in the churchyard, gave legacies in 1513, to our Lady in the chancel end, and to her light, to St. Nicholas, in the chancel, to St. Christoper, St. Anne, St. Anthony, and to St. Thomas of Canterbury. Here were also the plough light, hallow mass, the rode loft, common light, and light before the sacrament.
Francis Neve, Esq. by his will dated September 24, 1651, gave 20l. to the poor.
In 1556, an inventory was made of such goods and implements as belonged to this church; a pix, and 6 pix cloths, 2 pair of chalyse, one parcel gylte—a pix of silver, to bere in the host, gylt—an altar cloth of lynnyng, upon the altar, and an herse cloth of dornyse for the altar—a cope of red satten, and a vestment of the same—three abbes—two old vestments—two corporas casys, with one cloth—a sacryn bell 2 surplesses and 2 rochets—a pair of censors, and a holy water stopp—a chrysmatory, a messe book, a manuel, an antiphoner, a baud cloth, with a pendon, an old blew herse cloth—a blew vestment of right satten.
I also find there were 6 copes, the best of red velvet, and the image of our Lady and the Holy Ghost in the cope, the next of - - - - - - silver wrought with gold, another of white, branched damask, one of black velvet, &c.—a crymsy deacon and sub deacon velvet—a St. Nicholas cope—a vestment of crymsy velvet, with images of gold— a red velvet one, a black velvet one, &c. a cloth of white lynen for the font, 2 hand bells, a silver censor, &c. for every altar 2 latyn candelsticks, and for the high altar four, a stayned cloth before the altar painted of the assumption of our Lady, also painted cloths to hang be fore other saints, a lynen cloth before the rood loft, and one to cover the rood—the veil cloth—the sepulchre timber—24 candlesticks of latyn for the rode loft, &c.
The church of Wichingham Parva is dedicated to St. Faith, Peterpence 5d. old valor, and the present valor is 5l.
The prior of Longavile had a portion valued at 40s.
Mr. Hugh de London occurs rector in 1293, the Bishop's official.
1318, Roger de Stretlee instituted, presented by the proctor-general of the prior and convent of Longavile.
1375, William Bernard, by the King, the temporalities being in his hands.
Thomas Pykkebene. Ditto.
1397, William Barton.
1406, Edmund Fysher.
1419, John Clyfford.
1439, John Emelyn, by Sir Ralph Rocheford, in right of the priory, as lessee.
1469, Edmund Hanson, by the master and fellows of St. Mary Winchester college, of Oxford.
1477, Mr. Richard Smith, in decret. baccal.
1479, William Lynton. Ditto.
1517, Thomas Angewyn, A. M.
1520, John Southwood.
1521, Robert Qwarles.
1546, Richard Dominick, A. M.
1547, John Strong.
1557, John Sankye.
John Skotte occurs in 1561; on March 1, in the 4th of Elizabeth, he leased the mansion-house, barns, stable, &c. of this rectory, with the curtilage, gardens, and 6 acres of pasture, for 80 years, at 10l. per ann. and was confirmed by the Bishop and patron.
1581, Edward Muslebrook.
1613, William More.
1617, John Green.
1640, Henry Complyn.
1651, Thomas Whitby.
1665, William Bearcliff.
1670, James Sacheverell.
1711, Edward Somervile, by New college, Oxford.
1722, Sacheverel Bookey. Ditto.
In memory of Ralph Outlawe, Gent: who dyed Nov. 14, 1670.
Elizab. his wife, died July 4, 1671.
In memory of Tho. Outlawe, of Gardeston, Gent: who died May 15, 1650.
In memory Tho. Outlawe, the elder, Gent: who died July 3, 1633.
In the windows of the church, the arms of the Earls of Clare, of Ufford, Mortimer, of Attleburgh and Kerdeston.
The temporalities of St. Faith's priory here were 2s.