An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was a beruite to Roger Bigot's great lordship of Sutton, at the survey, and was held of Roger by Robert; of this Edric was deprived on the conquest, who had 2 carucates of land, 2 villains, and 4 borderers, with one carucate in demean, and one among the tenants; a church endowed with 9 acres, &c. 8 acres of meadow, a mill, &c. 40 sheep, and 30 goats; 17 freemen held 110 acres under protection only, and St. Bennet's abbey had the protection of one; and there were 2 borderers with 2 carucates and 2 acres of meadow. One free man also had 15 acres; (fn. 1) and this at the survey belonged to Bigot's fee, and out of this arose 2 lordships.
The family of de Gerner were lords of one in the 41st of Henry III. when a fine was levied between Stephen de Gerner, and William de Gerner, and Alice his wife.
Stephen de Granarijs, or Gerner, held half a fee of Hugh de Vere, of the Lord Montchensy, and he of Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk; in the said reign this Sir Hugh had it in right of Dionysia his wife, daughter and heir of William Lord Monchensie.
In the 14th of Edward I. William son of William de Gerner, was under age, and the custody of his lands belonged to John de Rudham, and of his body to Rob de Tateshale, who granted it to John, son of John L'Estrange-Tateshale, who held it in cupite, as heir to the Albini's, Earls of Arundel, to whom it came by the marriage of a daughter of Roger Bigot's; and in the 9th of Edward I. William de Gerner was lord; and William de Gerner and Roger de Walsham, held each a quarter of a fee.
John de Walsham held a quarter of a fee of the manor of Sutton, of Lord Mowbray, in the 3d of Henry IV.
Griffith Lloyd, and Catherine his wife, in the 22d of Edward IV. convey the lordship of Brumstede, Walsham's, with lands in Stalham, &c. to John Richers, Esq. who by certain deeds, appears to be a lawyer of Grey's Inn, from the heirs of Catharine, likely the heiress of Walsham; and in 1500, John Richers of Swanington, by his will, dated March 4, gives it to Henry his son, who conveyed it in the 34th of Henry VIII. to Jeffrey Osborne, in trust, and Henry Richers, Esq son of Henry, inherited it.
The family of the Parkers had a lordship, held of William Lord Monchensie, and he of the Bigots, in the reign of Henry III.
William le Parker had a lordship, and a grant of free warren in the 56th of Henry III. and in the 3d of Edward I. William le Parker, and William le Gerner, had wreck at sea in Eccles.
John de Leem, in the 6th of Edward II. conveyed by fine, to William le Parker and Agatha his wife, 13 messuages, 120 acres of land in several towns, with a messuage and lands here, and two parts of this manor and advowson.
Sir William le Parker was lord, and lived here in the 4th of Edward III. as was John Parker in the 20th of that King.
Hugh Falstolf and Robert Caly settled the manor of Parker's on William Parker and Margaret his wife, in tail, in the 5th of Richard II.; and Margaret Parker, widow, of Great Yarmouth, relict of William Parker of Brumstede, by her will, dated June, 1420, requires to be buried in the church of St. Peter's of this town, by her husband; (fn. 2) gives her seals, and the arms of Eccles, to Oliver Mendham, clerk, and was proved in 1423, November 29.
This Oliver, on February 20, in the 17th of Henry VI. as a trustee, grants to William d' Engain and Margaret his wife, and the heirs of Margaret, a moiety of this, and Eccles lordships; remainder to Alice, wife of Peter d'Engain, and her heirs; remainder to the right heirs of William Parker.
By this it seems they were the two daughters and coheirs of William Parker, and Margaret his wife. He bore argent, three bucks heads caboshed, gules; she seems to be of the family of De Eccles, who bore, argent, on a saltire, gules, two crosier staffs in saltire, or, and a leopard's head, of the first, in the centre.
Edward Calthorp, Esq. and Thomasine his wife, convey the manor of Parker's to Sir Thomas Wodehouse; and his son, Sir Henry, was lord about 1580, and sold it to Thomas Gryme.
Sir Henry Nevill was lord of the manor in 1603, and patron of the rectory; and in 1740 the Lord Abergavenny, from whom it came to the Earl of Orford, in whose family it remains.
Robert Malet, in the 20th of Henry III. held one fee here of Roger Bigod Earl of Norfolk; and Jeffrey de Turges and Julian his wife, and Simon de Boleyn, released their interest herein, in the 37th of that King, to Jeffrey de Burdevile, which Petronnilla de Malet, widow of Robert Malet, uncle of Julian, and cousin of Simon, held in dower.
Robert Roose, or Rouse, held also half a fee of Hugh de Vere, and he of the Earl-Marshal Bygot, in Edward the First's reign; one of the same name held it in the 2d of Edward II.; and in the 5th of Edward III. Henry, son of Sir Robert Rose, conveyed the manor of Rose-Hall in Brunstede, to Margaret, widow of John Elys of Great Yarmouth, &c. Reginald Hervey, and Isabel his wife, convey to John Elys, of Brunstede, four marks rent out of lands held hare, &c. in the 18th of Richard II.
Sir Miles Stapleton, Sir Simon Felbrigg, &c. held it as feoffees in the 3d of Henry IV.
The tenths were 3l. 9s. Deducted 6s. 8d.
The temporalities of Bromholm were 12d.;—of Weyborn 1d.
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter. William Lord Montchensy was lord and patron in the reign of Edward I. The rector had a manse with 30 acres of land, valued at 8 marks. Peterpence 12d.
1306, William de Lavenham, instituted, presented by Sir Hugh de Veer.
1307, Richard de Wynneferthynge.
1312, Robert de Stanford.
1335, Henry de Ingelby.
1339, William de Engain.
1339, John Strongman.
1342, Richard de Swaffham, by Laurence de Hastings Earl of Pembroke.
1347, John Bolour.
1349, Baldwin de Merwod, by Lady Agnes de Hastings Countess of Pembroke.
1349, Henry de Plumstede, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1350, Adam Charles, by John Hackeluyt.
1352, Walter Amyas, by Sir John Hackeluyt.
1353, John Abraham.
1358, William de Toggsford, by Agnes Countess of Pembroke.
1372, John Curson, rector.
1372, Alan de Lexham, by John Hastings Earl of Pembroke.
1386, Robert Grape, by the King.
1390, William Page.
1390, William Sweyn.
1391, Thomas More, by the King: he was treasurer of the collegiate church of Aberguilly, receiver of all debts due to Queen Ann, deceased.
1396, John Rykinghale, by Richard Earl of Arundel.
In the 2d of Henry IV. Philippa, widow of John de Hastings Earl of Pembroke, had the patronage.
Robert Lord died in 1727, and Bereford Baker then presented, by William Lord Abergavenny.
1729, John Gardiner. Ditto.
John Riches was rector in 1603, and returned 64 communicants; and Sir Henry Nevill was then patron.
Dr. John Gardiner, rector in 1745.
The present valor is 6l. 5s. 6d. and is discharged.
In the church were the arms of Felbrig, Stapleton, Arundel, and Earl Warren; quarterly, argent, in a bend between two cottises ingrailed, three buckles, sable, Gymingham. Hastings, and Valence quarterly. Parker. Argent, a chevron, ermin, between three crowns sable, impaling Ingham. Foulman married a daughter of Sir Oliver de Ingham.
Walcote,—gules, a cross, recercele, pomette, argent, Rose. Azure, a fess, dauncy, between six escallops, argent, D'Engain. Norwich. Kerdeston.