An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was a beruite belonging to the Conqueror's manor of Fakenham, held by King Harold at his death, of a carucate of land, and 9 borderers, with one in demean, and one among the tenants, &c. and 3 socmen held 6 acres; it was 7 furlongs long, and 6 broad, and paid 10d. gelt, and one freeman, Ketel, had lands, which, on the death of King Edward, were added to the King's manor of Holt. (fn. 1)
The Conqueror had also 8 socmen here, and 6 borderers belonging to his manor of Holt, who ploughed 2 carucates of land, valued at 20s. per ann. in King Edward's time, but at the survey at 40s.
In the 3d of Henry III. Hamon Fitz Peter was petent, and Gregory de Sharenton, deforciant, in a fine of lands in this town: and in the 12th of that King Peter de Sharington conveyed lands to Oliva, daughter of Alan, son of Jordan, and it appears that these lordships were in this reign in the Earls of Clare, who were the capital lords.
Peter de Letheringset held here, in Cley, Holt, &c. a fee in the 16th of Edward I. and John de Broughton in the 18th of Edward II. the fourth part of a fee of the honour of Clare, and in 1323 presented to this church, and in 1327 as lord of Scarneton, or Sharington, as the institution books testify.
Robert de Broughton was lord in 1349, son of Sir John de Broughton, who in 1346 was found to hold a quarter of a fee of the Earl of Gloucester, which Philip de Broughton formerly held, and in 1361, Robert de Broughton presented.
Soon after this William Daubenye was lord, and presented in 1364.
In the 5th of Richard II. Edmund de Mortimer Earl of March was the capital lord, and had the lete, as appears by the escheat rolls, and Roger was found his son and heir, who was lord in the 22d of that King, and in 1389, and 1394, William Daubeney presented, and in the 3d of Henry IV. was found to hold a quarter of a fee of the Earl of March, as was Thomas Hales to hold lands of the manor of Holt, Robert Mey was also found to hold lands by knight's service in the 3d of Henry VI. of Edmund Earl of March.
William Daubeney, Esq. of Sharington was living in 1433, and 1474, and lord.
Thomas Daubeney, Esq. his son and heir, married Anne, daughter of Robert Warner; by his will dated Octobert 27, 1527, bequeaths his body to be buried in the chancel of this church: appoints Giles Daubeney, clerk, his son, executor, to Ath. his son, this lordship, with that of North Berlingham. Henry his son mentioned, and was proved August, 8, 153-.
The aforesaid Henry, his son, presented as lord in 1533, and was living in 1554; he married - - - - -, daughter of Thomas Lumnor of Manington, by whom he had a son, Gyles, who died s. p. and Christopher, who was lord, and presented in 1565.
After this it came to the Hunts, and in 1601, William Hunt was lord, and presented.
On an inquisition taken of lunacy, on September 20, in the 20th of Charles the First, it was found that Margaret, daughter of George Briggs, and widow of William Hunt, son and heir of Sir Thomas Hunt, was a lunatick, and seized for life of the manors of Sharington, Holt Hales, Geyst, Wichingham, &c. and Thomas Hunt, Gent. was her son and heir, and married to Anne, daughter of John Sherwood, M. D. From the Hunts it was conveyed to Mr. Newman, Gent. whose son and heir, William Newman, Esq. was lord, and high sheriff of Norfolk in 1702, and patron of the church, from whom it came to Richard Warner, Esq. of Elmham.
The Earl of Richmond's manor of Batheley, or Bale, extended into this town. Thomas, son of Gilbert de Hindringham, held it in the 10th of Edward I. William Daubeney, in the reign of Henry VI. and Edward IV.
Thomas Reve and Giles Isham had a grant of lands here and in Field Dalling, in the tenure of Thomas Saxton, belonging lately to the priory of Blackburgh, dated July 23, in the 2d of Queen Mary.
The temporalities of Fakenham-dam were 7d.; of Walsingham 2s. 5d.; Wayborn priory 4d. ob. Messuages and lands were granted June 20, in 37th of Henry VIII. to Richard Heydon.
Tenths 3l. 15s.—Deduct 15s.
The Church is a rectory dedicated to All-Saints, the old valor was 18 marks, Peter-pence 10d. and the preceptory of Kerbroke had a portion of 5s.; the present valor is 10l.
In 1323, Simon de Morton instituted, presented by John de Broughton.
1327, John de Broughton. Ditto.
1349, Ralph de Broughton, by Robert de Broughton, &c.
1360, Richard de Aylaby, by Robert de Broughton, &c.
1361, Ralph de Broughton. Ditto.
1364, Robert Barry, by William Daubeney.
1389, Robert Daubeney. Ditto.
1394, Roger White. Ditto.
1433, Robert Daubeney, by Gregory Irmingland, and John Estker, clerk.
1433, John Estker, by William Daubeney, Esq.
1445, Thomas Syko. Ditto.
1451, William Aleyn.
1458, Mr. John Botolf. Ditto.
1486, Robert Daubeney, by Thomas Daubeney, Esq.
1500, Walter Barnard, rector, by ditto.
1551, Mr. Giles Daubeney. Ditto.
1533, Leonard Hadon, by Henry Daubeney.
1539, Thomas Hunt. Ditto.
1554, William Manser, A.M. by Sir Richard Southwell, Knt. assignee of Henry Daubeney.
1559, Thomas Whitby, LL.B. collated by the Bishop's vicar-general, a lapse.
1565, Nicholas Ruckesby, by Christopher Daubeney.
1601, John Stallon, by William Hunt.
Anthony Watts, rector, compounded in 1612.
Christopher Hunt, rector, compounded June 9, 1641.
1720, Nicholas Neech, by Richard Warner, Esq.
1724, Thomas Burton. Ditto.
1732, Joseph Lane, by ditto.
1758, Richard Eglington, by Elizabeth Jodrell, widow.
John Daubeney, of Caster, by Yarmouth, Gent. buried in this church, in 1469.
Richard Holditch of Sherington, buried here in 1526.