A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Waltham (xi cent.); West Waltham (xii cent.); Wyght or Whyte Waltham (xiii cent.); Waltham Abbas (xiv cent.); Whitwalton (xvii cent.).
The parish of White Waltham covers an area of 2,642 acres, of which 1,268 are arable land, 964 permanent grass and 16 woods and plantations. (fn. 1) The soil is mostly clay and the subsoil chalk, but in some parts there is a substratum of gravel, and on the higher ground at Paley Street the subsoil is plastic clay, which is used for brick-making in the adjoining village of Holyport. There is a chalk-pit on the borders of Maidenhead Thicket, near Cherry Garden Lane, and a stone quarry near Heywood Farm. The principal crops are wheat, oats, barley and roots.
The parish is flat and low-lying, for the most part about 100 ft. above ordnance datum. The greatest altitude is 191 ft. at Littlewick Green in the north-west.
The parish was inclosed with Shottesbrook in 1810, (fn. 2) and a detached portion of it was annexed to Shottesbrook in 1877 by order of the Local Government Board. Frequent disputes as to the boundary between White Waltham and Bray have occurred at intervals since 1286, (fn. 3) and Hearne gives an account of the beating of the boundaries in his own life-time, mentioning all the place-names and commenting on 'the insolence of the parishioners of Bray in transgressing their bounds.' (fn. 4)
The church of St. Mary is situated on rising ground on the east side of a branch road running south from the Bath Road. Bury Court Farm, the old manorhouse, stands on the opposite side of the road. In the churchyard, to the north-east of the church, is an old yew tree, and on the bank sloping from the churchyard wall to the roadway are preserved the old stocks and whippingpost. On the north side of the churchyard is a halftimber house of some antiquity, and on the opposite side of the road is a 14th-century barn with a fine oak roof covered with tiles; the inclosing walls are weather-boarded. Waltham Place, formerly the manor-house of Windsors Manor, to the south of the church, is the residence of Captain W. E. Davies. The road forks at the church, and the village is built along the branch leading south-westwards to Waltham St. Lawrence. It lies partly in the parish of Shottesbrook. The few cottages and private houses which compose it are modern. At the south end, on the east side of the road to Waltham St. Lawrence, are two inns, 'The Beehive' and the 'Horse and Groom,' both of the 18th century, although the latter incorporates parts of an older building.
To the north-east of the village is Heywood Lodge, the property of Mr. Sawyer, and the residence of Mr. Greville H. Palmer, a large three-story yellow brick building standing in its own grounds.
There are three hamlets in the parish. Paley Street lies 1½ miles south-east of the church on the borders of Bray and includes a Congregational chapel. The Manor House, Paley Street, is the residence of Mr. Eric Loder. Littlewick Green is on the borders of Hurley, to the south of the Bath Road, and contains the farm-house of Fiennes. Littlewick House, which stands to the south-west of the church, is the residence of Mrs. Elliott-Wood. Littlewick Green was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1894, the church of St. John having been built in 1893. There is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the village, opened about 1837. The hamlet of Woolley Green lies to the east of Littlewick Green, on the Bath Road, with Maidenhead Thicket on the north-east. Woolley Hall is the residence of Mr. Walter Cottingham, Woolley Grange of Mr. P. M. le Poer Trench, Chetwode, formerly known as Flint House, of the Earl of Rosslyn, and Lane Farm, to the south of the hamlet, of Lieutenant Aubrey Lambert, R.N. Littlewick Lodge is owned by Mr. Henry E. Bannard. The Great Western railway runs through the northern end of White Waltham, the nearest station being at Maidenhead.
Roman coins and other objects have been found in the parish. (fn. 5) An old cottage near the church is incorrectly said to have been the birthplace of Thomas Hearne the antiquary. He was born at Littlefield Green, and his father, George Hearne, was parish clerk of White Waltham. He was educated and brought up by Francis Cherry of Shottesbrook.
Place-names found in White Waltham in the 17th century are Little Worthy and Great Worthy Fields, Groveveire, Vodingley, Chestfeild, Oaterish, Inings Grove and Homestall Close. (fn. 6)
The manor of WHITE WALTHAM, BURY or BERRY may be identified with the 10 hides in Waltham granted with the church of that vill and the woods of Halcuuike (Hallwick), (fn. 7) Lidleuuike (Littlewick) and Suthwode and all other appurtenances of the vill and church to the abbey of Chertsey by King Edward the Confessor. (fn. 8) The abbey was holding in 1086, (fn. 9) when the manor was appropriated to the kitchen of the monastery (de dominico victu monachorum). The abbey increased its estate in the parish during the 12th century and later by the acquisition of various tenements. (fn. 10)
The abbey continued in possession until the Dissolution in 1537. (fn. 11) In the following year the manor was granted to Thomas Weldon and Cecilia his wife. (fn. 12) The former died seised of it in 1567, (fn. 13) being succeeded by his son William, who in 1580 alienated it to Richard Huddlestone. (fn. 14) In 1584 Huddlestone conveyed the manor to Richard Hale, (fn. 15) who died seised of it in 1621, leaving a son and heir William. (fn. 16) In 1631 William Hale, called of King's Walden, Herts., settled the estate (charged with an annuity of £300 to William, his eldest son) upon his second son Rowland, (fn. 17) who inherited it two years later, (fn. 18) and was involved in 1641 in a suit over the rent-charge with Denise sister and executrix of William Hale, jun., who sued him for the rent-charge. (fn. 19) In 1657 Rowland Hale sold the manor of White Waltham alias Berry, with the site of the manor, or Berry Farm, to Richard Powle of Shottesbrook. (fn. 20) The manor has since followed the descent of Shottesbrook (fn. 21) (q.v.).
The manor of WOOLLEY or FYNES (Wolvele, xiv cent.; Wolfle, xv cent.; Wolfines, Wolvfynes, Fynes alias Wollefenes, Wollefynes alias Wolleverfynes, xvi cent.; Femes alias Woolfemes alias Wolvefenes, xviii cent.) was formed of lands held of the Windsor fee, (fn. 22) of the abbey of Chertsey and of other lords. (fn. 23) It was held at the beginning of the 13th century by the family of Forester, who held a bailiwick in the forest of Windsor. Reginald le Forester is returned as holder of a quarter of a knight's fee under William de Windsor in the Testa de Nevill, (fn. 24) and he died seised of 3 hides in Waltham held of various lords as above in 1263. (fn. 25) He left a son and heir Jordan, (fn. 26) who was returned as having view of frankpledge and assize of bread and ale at Waltham in 1275. (fn. 27) Jordan le Forester was dead by 1280, when the custody of his lands and heirs was granted to Eleanor, the queen's mother. (fn. 28) Joan daughter of Jordan married John de Fiennes. (fn. 29) Joan de Fiennes was assessed for her property in Shottesbrook for subsidies in 1327 and 1332. (fn. 30) In 1351 John de Fiennes, her son, (fn. 31) died seised of the manor, (fn. 32) which passed to William, his son and heir. He died eight years later, his son John, aged four, being his heir. (fn. 33) His widow Joan held the manor for life, and took as her second husband Stephen Vaylaunce. (fn. 34) John died in 1375, during his minority, and was succeeded by his brother William, who came of age in 1378 (fn. 35) and who received a pardon in 1382 for having entered into possession of his inheritance without livery from the king. (fn. 36) William died in 1405. (fn. 37) His son Roger Fiennes is returned as owner in 1428. (fn. 38) Sir Richard Fiennes, son of Roger, became Lord Dacre in right of his wife, and the manor descended with the successive Lords Dacre. A settlement made in 1564 seems to have been on Anne Sackville, wife of Gregory Lord Dacre. (fn. 39) Lord Dacre, who had no issue, was dealing with the manor in 1571 (fn. 40) and 1577. (fn. 41) In 1580 he surrendered it to the Crown, (fn. 42) apparently to secure his title, and obtained a grant to his assigns. (fn. 43) Lord Dacre died in 1594. Anne, his widow, held a life interest in the manor, and after her death in 1595 (fn. 44) her executors conveyed it to Henry Nevill of Pillingbeare. (fn. 45) In 1601 her brother, Sir Thomas Sackville Lord Buckhurst, released his interest to Sir Henry Nevill, (fn. 46) who sold it in the following year to Ralph Newbury, (fn. 47) master of the printing house to Queen Elizabeth and James I. (fn. 48) He was succeeded by his son Francis Newbury, (fn. 49) who died at 'Wolfines' about 1651 and was buried at White Waltham. (fn. 50) Henry Newbury, his son, was dealing with the estate by recovery in 1655, together with Francis his son and heir. (fn. 51) One of the parties to this conveyance was Richard Finch, and the transaction appears to have been part of a sale to Finch either in trust or in fee, for in 1664–5 it was held by John Finch. (fn. 52) The latter died in 1682 and was buried at White Waltham. (fn. 53) He left five daughters as co-heirs, (fn. 54) four of whom, Elizabeth wife of William Cherry, Mary Sawyer, widow, Sarah wife of William Yorke, and Dorothy wife of William Wright, released their interest in the manor in 1703 to William Lethieullier and Mary Loveday, widow, probably for the benefit of Thomas Loveday and Sarah his wife, daughter of William Lethieullier. (fn. 55) John Loveday, son of Thomas and Sarah, suffered a recovery of it in 1732. (fn. 56) John Loveday was a philologist and antiquary. (fn. 57) He dealt with the manor again in 1777 (fn. 58) and died in 1789. His son John Loveday, D.C.L., died in 1809 and in 1814 another John Loveday was in possession. (fn. 59) He sold it to Margaret Hatton Dodwell, from whom it was purchased by Augustus Henry East, who died in 1828 and left it to Sir East George Clayton East, bart. (fn. 60) Sir Gilbert A. Clayton East, bart., sold Woolley Hall in 1881 to the late Mr. George Dunn. (fn. 61)
The manor of WEST WALTHAM or HEYWOOD, the estate of the abbey of Waltham Holy Cross, co. Essex, in White Waltham, may perhaps be identified with the 30 mansas at Waltham granted by King Edmund in 940 to his thegn Æfsige. (fn. 62) If so, these must have been acquired in the next century by Earl Harold, who granted 'West Waltham' to the church which he refounded at Waltham in Essex in 1060. (fn. 63) The canons were despoiled of much of their property by William I, and in 1086 their estate in White Waltham was held by the Bishop of Durham. (fn. 64) It was possibly restored to them, as was other land of which they had been robbed by Walcher Bishop of Durham, (fn. 65) in the reign of Henry I, for a charter of Henry II confirmed West Waltham in Berkshire to the canons. (fn. 66) Richard I granted them the liberty of inclosing their woods of Witeparroch (White Paddock) and Heywode with a hedge and ditch. (fn. 67) A charter of 1227 gave licence to the canons to take the hare, fox and wood cat at West Waltham. (fn. 68) In 1275 it was deposed that the abbot had assize of bread and ale and that he had put up gallows in Heywood and hanged a woman thereon without warrant. (fn. 69) The Abbot of Waltham was returned as one of the three holders of the vill of White Waltham in 1316. (fn. 70) In 1339 Nicholas de la Beche, the governor of the Tower, sent an order to the abbot to deliver six oaks fit for timber from his wood of Heywood for works in the Tower. (fn. 71)
After the Dissolution the manor of Heywood was granted in 1541 to John Norreys of Fyfield, usher of the black rod, (fn. 72) who died in 1577. (fn. 73) His son William Norreys of Fyfield died seised of the manor in 1591 and was succeeded by his son John Norreys. (fn. 74) In 1606 Sir John Norreys settled his property in White Waltham and Shottesbrook on himself for life, with remainder to his wife Margery, then his daughter Elizabeth and her husband Thomas Lord Erskine in tail. (fn. 75) Lord Erskine was created Earl of Kellie in 1619. Sir John Norreys died in 1612 and the Countess of Kellie in 1621, her uncle Edward Norreys being her heir. (fn. 76) The latter seems to have released his right, (fn. 77) and in 1623 Thomas Earl of Kellie together with Sir Peter Vanlore and his wife Jacquetta (cf. Smewyns) conveyed the manor to Dame Elizabeth Craven, Sir William Whitmore and Sir Edmund Sawyer. (fn. 78) Sawyer, who was one of the auditors of the Exchequer, was holding in 1633, when he petitioned the Crown, setting forth that the privileges of cutting the woods, putting hogs therein, hunting, and freedom from foresters had appertained to the manor since the reign of Edward III, together with a liberty called 'Staffeherd' (keeping sheep on the waste), and that these had been taken exception to by the attorney-general, who had, however, maintained that a dinner for the officers at the Swanimote Court every third year and also a metehome yearly for the keeper of the bailiwick for the last-named liberty should still be continued. He petitioned for the liberty of 'Staffeherd' freed from the charge of the dinner. (fn. 79) Sir Edmund Sawyer dealt with the manor by fine in 1651 (fn. 80) and dying in 1676 was buried at White Waltham. He was succeeded by his grandson Edmund Sawyer, who married Mary Finch, and who died in 1698. (fn. 81) The manor has since remained in the same family, (fn. 82) its present owner being Mr. Edmund Charles Sawyer, who does not reside there.
A manor in White Waltham called WALTHAMS' MANOR or WALTHAMS' LANDS appears in the 15th century in the possession of Roger Waltham, (fn. 83) who left three daughters and co-heirs, Lucy wife of Richard Rede, Alice wife of Robert Clare, and Agnes, who was unmarried. (fn. 84) Alice Clare and her husband acquired the title deeds (fn. 85) and remained in possession of the whole manor. Alice took as her second husband Thomas Bowyer, (fn. 86) but Richard Clare, her son by her first husband, (fn. 87) was holding the manor in 1513, when he conveyed it to Sir George Puttenham and others. (fn. 88) It seems possible that this is the manor of White Waltham held in 1556 by William Lord Windsor, (fn. 89) as the latter estate is called in 1618 the manor of Windsors or Walthams Place, (fn. 90) although the more usual form of the second name is Waltham Place. (fn. 91)
The manor of WINDSORS or WALTHAM PLACE remained in the Windsor family until 1589, when Henry Lord Windsor, grandson of William, sold it as the manor of Windsors to Roger Higgs. (fn. 92) In the inquisition taken upon the latter's death in 1612 the property is described as the capital messuage or farm called the Hill Farm or Windsors. Higgs held also a messuage called Fishers or Tames and another called Cusmans, with lands called Pinknors, Shepherd's Croft and Hawkyns in White Waltham. His son Roger, then aged fourteen, is given as his heir, (fn. 93) but Windsors alias Walthams (or Waltham) Place was bequeathed to John Higgs alias Redferne, (fn. 94) the eldest son of his wife Alice, by whom it was conveyed in 1615 to John Sharp and others to pay his father's debts. (fn. 95) In 1624 the property was held by William Blake, who conveyed it in that year to Roger Gardiner, (fn. 96) a citizen of London. He rebuilt the house about 1634, (fn. 97) and leased it in 1653 to Sir Paul Neile, (fn. 98) the son of Richard Neile, Archbishop of York. It was afterwards held by his son William Neile, the astronomer and mathematician, who fitted up an observatory at Hill House and who died there in 1670 of a broken heart over an unhappy love affair. (fn. 99) In the following year Gardiner sold the estate to Edward Pownall, from whom it was purchased with Hill Farm in 1678 by Francis Cherry. (fn. 100) The manor of Windsors with Halls (fn. 101) thereafter apparently descended with Shottesbrook and White Waltham Berry, (fn. 102) but the Hill House estate seems to have been separated from it, for it is said to have been settled upon Anne daughter of Francis Cherry, wife of James Hayes. (fn. 103) James Hayes, son of the latter, sold the property, according to Lysons, which he says was acquired in 1744 by James Theobald, who changed the name from Hill House to Waltham Place. In 1773 it became the property of the Rev. — Reid, and in 1813 was owned by George Grant, whose father had purchased it from Mr. Reid in 1776. (fn. 104) Later in the century it became the property of Charles Ellis, and now belongs to Mr. Lewis Oppenheimer, who bought it of the Byam Davis family.
The so-called manor of SMEWYNS in White Waltham and Shottesbrook derived its name from tenants settled at an early date in this parish. Roger Smewyn witnessed an agreement between the Abbot of Waltham and William Cumin, rector of White Waltham, towards the close of the 12th century. (fn. 105) Rather more than fifty years after Ralph Smewyn was holding half a virgate of the Abbot of Waltham. (fn. 106) Edmund Smewyn owned land in White Waltham in the reigns of Edward III (fn. 107) and Richard II. (fn. 108) In 1467 a 'croft called Smewyns in Litilefeld' was in the possession of Alice Clare, one of the daughters and co-heirs of Roger Waltham, who released it at that date to John Ripon and Beatrice his wife. (fn. 109) John Ripon died seised of the capital messuage called Smewyns or Ripons, held of the Abbot of Chertsey, in 1485, his brother Charles Ripon being his heir. (fn. 110) In 1535 Thomas Decons was holding a manor of White Waltham, (fn. 111) which five years later he conveyed as the manor of White Waltham alias Smewyns to George Throckmorton of Deerhurst, co. Gloucester, for the sum of £180. (fn. 112) The latter exchanged it in 1542 with the king for the priory of Deerhurst. (fn. 113) In 1558 Throckmorton purchased it from the Crown on behalf of John Norreys, then a minor. (fn. 114) William Norreys of Fyfield died seised of it in 1591, (fn. 115) and Smewyns then followed the descent of Heywood in White Waltham (fn. 116) until the death of the Countess of Kellie in 1621. There were dealings with it by the Earl of Kellie in that year and in 1622 Sir Peter Vanlore (cf. Heywood) conveyed it to Henry Martyn. (fn. 117) The latter held it until 1641, when it passed into the hands of Henry Powle. (fn. 118) It was probably purchased later by William Cherry (see manor of Shottesbrook). In the time of Francis Cherry, his son, the house was occupied by his friend Dr. Dodwell, the nonjuror. (fn. 119) After the death of Francis Cherry in 1713 his estates were sold, and Smewyns with others came into the possession of Arthur Vansittart, who was holding it in 1723, (fn. 120) and from this date it follows the descent of the manor of Shottesbrook. (fn. 121) Smewyns is now a farm. No foundation has been found for the legend of its having been a hunting-seat of Prince Arthur, the eldest son of Henry VII. (fn. 122) Traces of the moat are still to be seen round the house, which is situated in the parish of Shottesbrook.
The church of ST. MARY THE VIRGIN consists of a chancel 27 ft. 8 in. by 16 ft. 3 in., a north transept utilized as an organ chamber and vestry, a south transept 21 ft. 2 in. by 15 ft. 6 in., a nave 36 ft. by 19 ft. 2 in., north and south aisles, a west tower, and a south porch. These measurements are all internal.
The history of the building has been largely obscured by the drastic restoration undertaken in 1868, when practically the whole of the church west of the chancel was rebuilt, but that there was a church here in the 12th century is shown by the Norman arch still standing on the south side of the tower, and the reset capitals to the shafts of the south doorway, which are also of this date. The present chancel was built early in the 13th century, but the south transept does not appear to have been added until somewhat later, though its south wall was rebuilt about 1320, when the archway opening from the north end of the west wall into the south aisle was inserted. The north transept was added in 1889.
The chancel is built of flint with chalk and stone dressings. In the east wall are three original lancets with a circular light over the centre one. They are of chalk and have splayed inner jambs, round the angles of which are worked continuous edge rolls. On the outside they are chamfered and have rebates for shutters, but practically the whole of the external chalk has been renewed. Between the lancets, on the inside, are tall pointed recesses worked in a similar manner, with continuous edge rolls. The north wall is lighted from the east end by two lancets of the same design as those in the east wall; the inner jambs are original, but the outer ones have been restored. East of them is a square aumbry, still in use, and to the west a modern arcade of two pointed arches opening into the north transept. In the east end of the south wall is another original lancet, which has also been restored externally; to the west of this is a modern arcade like that in the opposite wall opening into the south transept. The eastern half of the head of another lancet, now blocked, can be seen to the east of this arcade, while at the east end of the wall is a double piscina, which, though slightly restored, is contemporary with the chancel. It has a central detached shaft of Purbeck marble with a moulded capital and base, and corresponding attached shafts to the responds, from which spring moulded trefoiled arches. These are set within a segmental containing head, and in the spandrel thus formed is a sunk quatrefoil. The basins are circular, and along the back of the recess, about half-way up, runs a chamfered ledge. The chancel arch is pointed and of two hollow-chamfered orders carried on semi-octagonal responds, having moulded capitals and bases of 15th-century date.
Reset in the north wall of the north transept is a 13th-century window of two lancet lights with a circular light over. It is of chalk, and the inner jambs and drop rear arch, which are original, have a continuous edge roll worked on the angle; the exterior appears to have been scraped.
In the east wall of the south transept are two windows. The first is of the 14th century and of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a pointed head, having both internal and external moulded labels, while the southern one is of two lancets with a common drop rear arch having a moulded label, and is of 13th-century date. The transept is lighted from the south by a large three-light window with modern tracery and original early 14th-century jambs having angle shafts with moulded capitals and bases supporting a moulded rear arch. Below the window is a large segmental-headed tomb recess, apparently of the same date, but this has been so mutilated that only one small complete piece of moulding at the bottom of the west jamb remains intact. At the south-east is a pointed piscina with sunk quarter-round jambs, and a circular basin now cut off flush with the wall. Opening into the south aisle is a stilted drop arch of two sunk quarterround orders; the outer order is continuous towards the transept, but on the other side dies on to the wall of the aisle, while the inner order is carried on attached semicircular shafts having moulded capitals and bases. The walls of the transept are of flint with chalk dressings, the rebuilt south wall having diapering of chalk.
The nave arcades are each of two bays with pointed arches carried on central columns with large carved capitals of a French romanesque design. The aisles are lighted by coupled trefoiled lights, while in the west wall of the north aisle is a much-restored reset 13th-century window of two lancet lights with a quatrefoil over, and in the corresponding wall of the south aisle, looking into a modern cupboard, is a small pointed light of the same date. Between the second and third windows from the east, in the south wall of the south aisle, is a doorway having outer jambs with attached shafts crowned by reset 12th-century scalloped capitals, now showing signs of decay.
The lower stage of the tower opens into the nave by a lofty arch, and on the south, giving access to a small passage at the west end of the south aisle, is the 12th-century arch referred to above. It is semicircular and of one square order, and springs from chamfered abaci, on the upper member of which is worked a cable enrichment, restored on the north side. On the south face of the arch is a double cheveron enrichment and the hood mould on the same side has a billet and cheveron ornament.
The walls of the modern part of the church are of flint with stone dressings, and the whole building is plastered on the inside. The roofs are all modern and tiled, with the exception of those to the aisles, which are covered with lead.
In the floor at the west end of the north aisle is a Purbeck slab, in which are the matrices of a foliated cross and a border inscription, each letter of which was a separate piece of metal. The inscription appears to have been in Norman French, in Lombardic lettering, but it has been so worn that only two or three isolated letters can now be made out. It is evidently of 14th-century date. In the floor at the east end of the nave set in a Purbeck slab is a brass inscribed in black letters to Margaret wife of John Hille, who died 12 July 1465. Above the inscription is the matrix for a figure, and in the top dexter corner is a scroll inscribed 'ihū mercy'; in the opposite corner is the indent of a similar scroll.
To the south of this is set another slab, containing a brass inscribed in black letter to Joan wife of Richard Decons, esquire, and daughter and heir of Thomas Beauchamp, esquire, who died 30 August 1506. Above the inscription is the figure of a lady, while in the head of the slab is a shield of Beauchamp —a fesse between six martlets all within a border and a molet on the fesse. In the floor of the north transept is a slate sepulchral slab to William Neile, eldest son of Sir Paul Neile, kt., and grandchild to Richard Neile, Archbishop of York, who died in 1670. A Latin inscription on a carved marble cartouche, set in the west wall of the south transept, states that he was a Fellow of the Royal Society and a privy councillor to King Charles II. In the floor below the tower is a slate slab to the memory of Sir Edmund Sawyer, an auditor of the Exchequer, who died 6 June 1676.
There is a peal of six bells, all by John Warner & Sons, 1869.
The plate consists of a silver paten of 1694, a silver chalice of 1702, and a flagon of 1709.
The registers previous to 1812 have been bound together in one volume and contain baptisms from 1621 to 1812, burials and marriages 1563 to 1812.
The church of ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, Littlewick Green, is a cruciform building of blue Pennant stone with Bath stone dressings. It consists of chancel, nave, transepts, vestries, west porch, and a turret containing two bells. It was built and endowed by Miss Frances Elizabeth Ellis of White Waltham Place. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford.
At the date of the Survey there was a chapel in White Waltham which belonged to the abbey of Chertsey. (fn. 123) The juxtaposition of the estates of two powerful monasteries in Waltham led in the 12th century to disputes as to the tithe due from Heywood Manor for the support of the parish priest and his church. The case was finally disposed of in 1187. (fn. 124) The parson of West or White Waltham was at that time named William Cumin. In 1346 the abbot received royal licence (fn. 125) and in 1349 papal licence to appropriate the church, and soon after a vicarage was ordained. (fn. 126) The rectory and advowson remained with the abbey until 1537, when they were surrendered to the king, (fn. 127) who granted the former in the same year to his new foundation of Bisham Abbey, (fn. 128) and the advowson in 1538 to Thomas Weldon. (fn. 129) Upon his death in 1567 (fn. 130) the advowson devolved upon his son William, who was party to a fine of it in 1575. (fn. 131) In 1550, however, Richard Warde received a grant of both rectory and advowson, (fn. 132) and no further claim seems to have been made by the Weldons. Warde died seised of both in 1578 (fn. 133) and also of tenements in White Waltham called Old Anker Hall and New Anker Hall. His son and heir Richard Warde conveyed the rectory and advowson with the two messuages in 1582 to Richard Beconsawe, (fn. 134) who, however, retained them only for three years, after which they became the property of William Danyell, (fn. 135) who died seised of them in 1610. (fn. 136) His son William apparently sold the rectory and two messuages to John Grymsditch, who was holding in 1619, when he conveyed them to Sir William Garway. (fn. 137) The advowson went to Richard Hale, who died seised of it in 1621. (fn. 138) His son and heir William Hale settled it upon his second son Rowland, (fn. 139) who inherited it in 1633. Rowland Hale conveyed the advowson in 1657 to Richard Powle, (fn. 140) who presented to the living in 1660 (fn. 141) and 1672. (fn. 142) The advowson has since followed the descent of the manor. (fn. 143)
The rectory was in 1753 in the possession of Richard Whishaw and Elizabeth his wife, who in that year conveyed it to James Theobald. (fn. 144) After Theobald's death the tithes were sold in lots and purchased by the various landowners. (fn. 145)
The free chapel of Woolley is mentioned in 1351 in an inquisition taken upon the death of John de Fiennes. (fn. 146) The advowson followed the descent of the manor of Woolley. (fn. 147) After the Dissolution the chapel, with tithes from lands called Le New Pasture, Boye, Pittfield, Fennes Field, Ramsley, le Redcrofte, Sawyers, Little Fennes, Breade Croft, Cawden and Wotarshe was granted to Richard Warde and William Planer. (fn. 148) In 1775 John Loveday, senior, and John Loveday, junior, D.C.L., conveyed the site of the chapel and the tithes to William Tilleard. (fn. 149)
The charity of Toby Netherclift, founded by deed 22 October 1631, consists of a house and 1 a. 1 r., producing £20 a year, which is applied as to £5 a year by the vicar of Littlewick in money gifts to old people and widows, and the remainder (subject to repairs of the house) by the vicar of White Waltham in tickets for groceries and also in money gifts.
The Church of England school was erected on other land comprised in the deed of 1631.
In 1690 John Duell conveyed to trustees a messuage and certain land, now consisting of a cottage and 3 acres at Littlefield Green, of which 2 r. 9 p. were allotted on the inclosure in 1811 for binding apprentice poor fatherless children. The property is let at £18 a year, which, together with the income of John Hawes's charity, next mentioned, is applied in apprenticing. A premium of £30 was in 1902 paid for apprenticing a fatherless boy, since which date the income of the two charities has been accumulating, amounting in 1909 to £126.
In 1705 John Hawes, as stated in the Parliamentary returns of 1786, by his will gave a rent-charge of £2 for apprenticing poor children, which (less land tax) is received from Pembroke College, Oxford, and is accumulated as mentioned under the preceding charity.
In 1718 James Hurst, as stated in the same returns, by his will gave a house to the poor not receiving parish relief. An allotment of 1 r. 26 p. was made on the inclosure, and the trust property now consists of a cottage, garden and small orchard in Green Lane, let at £7 a year. The net income is applied in the distribution of bread, annually, on St. Thomas's Day.
Charity of Mrs. Anne Cherry—This parish receives one-third of the net income, amounting to about £3 10s. a year, which is given in sums of 10s. each to poor widows (see under Shottesbrook).
Wenman's charity (see under parish of Cookham).—The official trustees hold a sum of £633 6s. 8d. consols in trust for this charity, producing £15 16s. 8d. yearly, which is applied by the respective vicars of Littlewick and White Waltham in a weekly distribution of bread.
Sacrament money—The sum of £33 6s. 8d. consols, arising from the investment of accumulations of sacrament money, is held by the official trustees. The dividends, amounting to 16s. 8d. a year, are distributed in tickets for groceries.
In 1863 the Rev. Christopher Cleobury, formerly a curate of the parish, by his will proved at Salisbury 31 December, bequeathed £50, which was invested in £56 17s. 3d. consols with the official trustees, the annual dividends, amounting to £1 8s. 4d., to be distributed in bread, fuel or clothing on St. Thomas's Day.