A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1924.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF FARINGDON
containing the parishes of Great Coxwell and Great Faringdon (fn. 1)
No mention of the hundred of Faringdon appears in the Domesday Survey when Faringdon and Coxwell were in the hundred of Wifol, (fn. 2) or Wyfold as it is called in 12245. Jurisdiction over the hundred in the 13th century (fn. 3) was in the hands of the Abbot and convent of Beaulieu, apparently by virtue of the grant made to them by King John in 1203 of Index Map to the Hundred the manor with all liberties and free customs appurtenant thereto. The abbot had the return of writs, (fn. 4) and the hundred followed the descent of the manor of Faringdon (q.v.).
The jurisdiction of Faringdon Hundred did not extend over the whole parish of Faringdon: the tithing of Wadley or Littleworth and Thrupp were in Shrivenham Hundred, (fn. 5) these places not being in the hands of the Abbot and convent of Beaulieu.