A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 4, City of Ely; Ely, N. and S. Witchford and Wisbech Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This wedge-shaped tract of land represents the northern portion of the former parish of Stanground, which until 1905 was partly in the Isle and partly in Huntingdonshire. In that year it was divided into North Stanground (Isle) and South Stanground (Hunts.). (fn. 1) North Stanground has no separate history, (fn. 2) but although it contains less than 2 square miles and a population of only 32 (fn. 3) it presents some interesting administrative features. Historically, it forms part of North Witchford hundred, but it is now included in Thorney Rural District-one of the small local government areas constituted in 1894 to regularize the position when a Poor Law Union extended into more than one county. (fn. 4) Ecclesiastically it still forms part of Stanground and of the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and its connexions with the Soke of Peterborough have been close, for the Peterborough Corporation established a Smallpox Hospital (fn. 5) and Sewage Farm within its bounds. Its 1,117 acres are divided amongst no fewer than six 'principal landowners'. There is no made road through the parish, but it is crossed by the Peterborough-Ely section of British Railways, Eastern Region, (fn. 6) and by two important waterways-Moreton's Leam and its successor the modern River Nene.
There are no churches, chapels, schools, or charities in this parish.