A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 4, City of Ely; Ely, N. and S. Witchford and Wisbech Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
SEALS OF THE GUILD AND THE CORPORATION
A 15th-century seal of the Holy Trinity Guild exists. (fn. 1) The Trinity is treated in an unusual manner, with the three Persons standing half length holding up the hand in benediction, on a castle with water underneath.
The common seal adopted on the incorporation of the town (fn. 2) shows full-length figures of St. Peter and St. Paul, the patrons of the parish church, under canopies in the Renaissance style. This design, with more Gothic canopies, has been adopted for the arms granted to the borough in 1929, which have a crest showing a ship with St. Peter's Keys on one of the sails. (fn. 3) This badge (keys) is used on the seals of the mayor and town clerk. (fn. 4)