A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR
William Crabb, by will dated 1578, granted to the use of the poor the reversion of a house and 2 a. of land held of Goldington's manor. (fn. 1) By indenture of 1694 Thomas Little, lord of that manor, granted the estate to new trustees and provided that the profits were to be distributed by the church- wardens and overseers. (fn. 2) By 1806 the land was called Town Land. In 1857 it was exchanged for a 2½-a. close whose rents were distributed amongst the poor. In 1994 the income was £125. (fn. 3)