A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
By deed dated 1460 John Allison and John Butler gave Hethes (later Obit) land, the Church house, and a meadow for the poor and church repairs. The endowment was misappropriated in the 16th century, but was recovered c. 1600. (fn. 1) Between 1733 and 1741 the income averaged c. £7 a year, which was distributed in cash to the poor. Cash distributions continued in the early 19th century, but in 1836 the income, c. £17, was distributed in calico. (fn. 2) Part of the land was sold to the parish in 1984 for a cricket pavilion. In 1995 the income was £270. (fn. 3)
J. L. Godlee, by will proved 1927, left £120 to the rector to be invested for the poor. In 1993 the income of the Godlee Trust was accumulating. (fn. 4)