A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
William Drury, whose wife Mary was the sister of the staunchly recusant Catherine Audley of Berechurch, lived in Wivenhoe and was involved in papist activi- ties locally in 1577. (fn. 1) Two recusants were recorded in 1586. (fn. 2) After the Second World War mass was celebrated in a former school in High Street. In 1967 St. Monica's Roman Catholic church was opened off De Vere Lane. In 1995 it was served by a priest from Brightlingsea and attracted c. 100-110 people every Sunday. (fn. 3)