A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1833 five private day schools, all started since 1818, educated c. 100 children, and there was a Sunday School for 76. The Sunday school continued in 1841. (fn. 1) There was apparently no church school in 1861 when the curate, G. J. Taylor, opened one in a cottage. In 1863, largely through his efforts, a National school was built on the corner of Bures Road and the lane to the church. (fn. 2) It was supported by subscriptions and children's pence, and from 1875 by a government grant. Attendance had risen to 70 by 1879 and remained about that figure in the 1880s and 1890s. (fn. 3) An infants' room was added to the building in 1884. (fn. 4) When the school closed in 1932 there were 25 children on the roll, over half of them from neighbouring parishes. The building became a private house. (fn. 5)
The Colnes United British school on Colneford Hill was established for children from the Colne parishes in 1850 with the help of a grant from the British and Foreign Schools Society. (fn. 6) In the 1860s and early 1870s attendance fluctuated between 33 and 60. The school, which received government grants from 1861, closed in 1874. (fn. 7)