A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1818 there were three small private schools for a total of 45 children; in 1839 between 35 and 40 children were in dame schools, and there were also two adult schools held once a week. (fn. 1) Five academies were listed in 1848; of those, three were last recorded in 1863 and one, owned by Robert Malyn on Straight Road, survived as a day school in 1902. In the 1870s the more able older children from the National school moved on to Malyn's school. (fn. 2)
In 1818 there were two Nonconformist schools, one with 8 or 9 children, the other with 15. (fn. 3) The Wesleyan chapel had a Sunday school with 20 children by 1839; it continued in 1851. (fn. 4) By 1871 it had its own schoolhouse for 30, and an average attendance of 40 infants. (fn. 5) The school received no government grant and was last recorded in 1872. (fn. 6) From 1910 to 1946 a temporary Council school for 75 infants was held in the Methodist schoolhouse; it continued for a further six months in Priory Hall until it was amalgamated with the Junior school in 1947. (fn. 7) The schoolhouse was used as a church hall in 1998.
By 1819 the parish church had established a Sunday school for 78 children, supported by voluntary contributions. (fn. 8) A girls' day school was added and had been meeting 'for many years' when a boys' school was opened c. 1836. (fn. 9) The schools met in two small cottages during the week and in church on Sundays. In 1838, with the aid of government and National Society grants, a schoolhouse for 110 was built north- west of the church. (fn. 10) The school was supported by voluntary contributions and pence, and received regular parliamentary grants from 1871. (fn. 11) Average attendances rose slowly during the later 19th century, from 45 in 1875 to 90 in 1899. The school was enlarged to take 107 in 1895. (fn. 12) It was overcrowded by 1910 and the county paid for some of the children to attend Myland school in Colchester. (fn. 13) The school was reorganized for juniors in 1946 and for juniors and infants in 1947, senior children being sent to St. Helena's school in Colchester. (fn. 14) In 1954 the school was awarded Controlled status. A new classroom was added in the same year, and the former Methodist school was hired for additional accommodation. (fn. 15) In 1955 there were 95 children. (fn. 16) An extra ⅓ a. of land was given to the trustees of the school when Camping close was sold to the Education Department in 1961. (fn. 17) Accommodation was extended c. 1980. The school was still open in 1998.