Frampton on Severn: Charities

A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Frampton on Severn: Charities', in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds, (London, 1972) pp. 155. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol10/p155a [accessed 11 April 2024]

CHARITIES.

Samuel Phillimore of Dursley by his will dated 1798 gave £150 to buy land from which the rent was to provide bread for the poor of Dursley, Cam, and Frampton. Frampton received £2 6s. a year in the early 19th century, (fn. 1) £1 13s. in the early 20th, (fn. 2) and £1 18s. 4d. in 1968 when the money was distributed in cash. (fn. 3) Anne Wicks (d. 1841) gave £1,086 in 1829 for the aged and infirm poor, known as her smaller charity, and by her will gave the interest on her stock, amounting to £7,745, to the poor over 55, known as her larger charity. The larger charity was regulated by schemes of 1909 and 1937. In 1967 the income was £228 from the larger charity, distributed in the form of monthly pensions to c. 20 people of 55 and over, and £23 from the smaller charity, distributed in cash to 23 people of 60 and over. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

  • 1. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 66.
  • 2. Michell, Pages from the Past, 15.
  • 3. Ex inf. Mrs. E. Meadows, clerk to the trustees.
  • 4. Char. Com. Recs.; cf. Glos. N. & Q. iv. 176, 201; ex inf. Mr. C. R. Williams, of Frampton.