A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1818 there were two dame schools but no educational endowment. (fn. 1) A Sunday school that was started in 1820 had an attendance of 30 in 1825, when there was also a dame school kept by the parish clerk, (fn. 2) and of 40 in 1833, when the Sunday-school master received £5 a year. (fn. 3) There was apparently no school at all in 1846. (fn. 4) A National school was established in a new building in 1863, (fn. 5) and had an attendance of 38 in 1869. (fn. 6) The building, which is a single-story brick building incorporating a two-story teacher's house, (fn. 7) was enlarged in 1896. Attendance fell from 71 in 1902 (fn. 8) to 44 in 1936 ; (fn. 9) in 1968, when the older children went to school in Quedgeley and Stroud, there were 32 children in two departments. (fn. 10)