A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1717 a small piece of land called Deacon's Close was transferred to trustees for the use of the poor, repairs to the church, and other uses. In 1827 the rent was being used for the charity schools, (fn. 1) but an order of 1896 applied two-thirds of the income to the poor, and a third to the church. (fn. 2) Half of the income of Susannah Selwyn's charity was being used to clothe the poor in 1827, (fn. 3) and a scheme of 1877 applied half the income to provide bedding and clothes for the poor of King's Stanley, and a sixth to the same purpose in Selsley. (fn. 4) Catherine Warlock by will dated 1804 gave £80 stock for bread on St. Thomas's day. (fn. 5) In the late 1960s an annual income of c. £16 from the Deacon's Close, Selwyn, and Warlock charities was laid out on bread and 5s. vouchers. (fn. 6) Sir Percival Marling by will dated 1936 gave £100 for the sick and poor of Selsley parish over 60 years of age; (fn. 7) in the late 1960s the income was distributed in cash and bread vouchers. (fn. 8)