A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Eleanor Rishton in 1738 gave £200 for the poor, for the charity school, and for apprenticing; (fn. 1) during the 18th century the income was usually distributed in clothes, but there were some cash payments to the sick, and occasional donations to the charity school. The income, from land bought with the capital sum, was £16 in 1826 (fn. 2) and £30 in 1889. (fn. 3) John Harvey Ollney by will proved 1836 gave £200, the income to be distributed in coal and blankets; the income was £6 8s. in 1889. Sophia Clarke by will proved 1858 gave £38 in stock to be distributed among 12 poor widows. (fn. 4) In the late 1960s, when the combined income of the three charities was c. £55, all three were being distributed in cash. (fn. 5)