A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
John Harmer, presumably the clothier who died in 1800, (fn. 1) gave £100 in 1798 for gowns for poor women of Stonehouse. (fn. 2) In 1967 distributions in cash were made at the vicar's discretion. (fn. 3) John Bramley by will proved 1927 gave a sum of money the annual profits of which were to be distributed among members of the Stonehouse Wesleyan chapel. Laura James by will proved 1960 left a sum which brought in an annual income of over £50 to help provide homes for old inhabitants of Stonehouse. (fn. 4)
William Cosham, by will dated 1854 gave £1,400 to be put to various uses in Cainscross; £23 of the annual income was to be shared among the incumbent, organist, and choir of the church, £10 to be given in coal and provisions, and £9 used in connexion with the schools. Josiah Greathead Strachan (d. 1892) gave £1,000 for the poor of Cainscross. John Geale Unwins, perpetual curate of Cainscross 1841-93, gave £300 for an orphan fund. (fn. 5)