Eastington: Charities

A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

'Eastington: Charities', in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds, (London, 1972) pp. 138-139. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol10/pp138-139 [accessed 20 April 2024]

CHARITIES.

Richard Clutterbuck of Nupend by will dated 1734 gave a rent-charge of 40s. to be shared among poor housekeepers; (fn. 1) there were 22 recipients in 1878. (fn. 2) John Blanch by will dated 1756 gave £100, the interest to be divided among 10 housekeepers not on parish relief, and John Watkins (d. 1818) left £10 to augment Blanch's charity; the interest, £8 13s. 4d. from investment in stock, was being regularly applied in 1827, (fn. 3) and in 1878 each of the 10 recipients had £1 2s. 6d. (fn. 4) In the late 1960s, when the income of the Blanch charity remained at £8 10s., both charities were still being distributed at Christmas and Michaelmas respectively as laid down by the donors. (fn. 5)

Footnotes

  • 1. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 64.
  • 2. Glos. R.O., P 127/VE 2/3.
  • 3. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 65.
  • 4. Glos. R.O., P 127/VE 2/3.
  • 5. Ex inf. the rector.