Nailsworth: Local government

A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

A P Baggs. A R J Jurica. W J Sheils, 'Nailsworth: Local government', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds, (London, 1976), pp. 215. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol11/p215 [accessed 21 June 2024].

A P Baggs. A R J Jurica. W J Sheils. "Nailsworth: Local government", in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds, (London, 1976) 215. British History Online, accessed June 21, 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol11/p215.

Baggs, A P. Jurica, A R J. Sheils, W J. "Nailsworth: Local government", A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds, (London, 1976). 215. British History Online. Web. 21 June 2024, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol11/p215.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

No record has been found of a separate court for the Nailsworth manor estate and, because Nailsworth did not achieve parochial status until the end of the 19th century, it is not possible to disentangle the story of poor-relief and other parochial functions from that of the three parishes in which it lay. Some voluntary efforts to provide local institutions and services, before the creation of the Nailsworth U.D.C. in 1894, are mentioned above. (fn. 1)

Footnotes

  • 1. See p. 210.