A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Apart from the lost charity of Richard Cambridge mentioned above, the only early eleemosynary charity was that of Thomas Cam, merchant, who before 1764 gave a rent-charge of 50s. for the poor at Christmas. (fn. 1) James Flight (d. 1854), engineer to the Viceroy of Egypt, left £45, the interest to be given to poor persons suffering from chest diseases. (fn. 2) J. G. Strachan by will proved 1892 left £500 to the poor of Rodborough. (fn. 3) The three charities were regulated by a Scheme of 1969, and the annual income, £30-40, was afterwards applied in single grants in cases of need. (fn. 4)
Four other charities were left specifically for the congregation of the Rodborough Tabernacle. John Harmer by will proved 1800 gave £100; William Marling by will proved 1859 gave £100; John Apperly (d. 1858) gave £1 annual interest for blankets and clothing; and land called Millfield bought by the congregation in 1858, partly with money given by Dinah King, was charged with a distribution in coal. Management of the charities was regulated by a Scheme covering the Tabernacle property in 1939, (fn. 5) and in the early 1970s the income, £28, was distributed at Christmas or used in cases of need at other times. (fn. 6)