A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
The rent of a farm at Telscombe (Suss.) given to charitable uses by Henry Smith of London (d. 1628) (fn. 1) was assigned by deed of 1680 to the tithing of Culkerton for the relief of the poor and for apprenticing. (fn. 2) In 1683, when c. £10 had been invested in stock, £5 a year was being disbursed. (fn. 3) In 1690 19 persons received payments and in 1699 11 people received linen cloth and shoes, but during the 18th century the charity was distributed irregularly in cash. (fn. 4) At the end of the century £11 was shared among the poor housekeepers not receiving alms (fn. 5) and by 1827 £15 was being shared each year among about 19 deserving cases. (fn. 6) The charity has not been found recorded later.