A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1818 there were two schools at Miserden, one supported by dissenters, which is not recorded later, and another supported by Lady Sandys and payments by the parents. (fn. 1) In 1833 there was a day-school teaching 25 children, and a Sunday school with an attendance of 54; they were supported in part by the rector and in part out of the poor-rates. (fn. 2) The day-school was affiliated to the National Society by 1856 (fn. 3) when the rector's contribution was supplemented by pence and other contributions. A new building was provided in 1858 on the road west of the church, and c. 30 children were being taught there in 1871. (fn. 4) In 1883 the school was moved to the building in the centre of the village put up by Sir John Rolt for the benefit club in 1866. (fn. 5) It had an average attendance of 70 in 1885 and was supported in part by the Leathams until the Act of 1902. (fn. 6) In 1914 it was moved to a new building west of the old school. (fn. 7) Called the Miserden C. of E. school, it had an attendance of around 40 in the earlier part of the 20th century, (fn. 8) and in 1970 was teaching 49 children. The older children of the parish then attended schools at Stroud or Eastcombe. (fn. 9)