A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
No documentary evidence has been found to support the traditions that the Bliss family were connected with the Huguenots or that Westley wood was used as a meeting-place by nonconformist groups in the 16th or 17th century. (fn. 1) No nonconformists were recorded in the parish in 1676. (fn. 2) In 1804 Samuel Jones of Frampton Mansell had his house registered for nonconformist worship and Independents registered a building in the parish in 1822. (fn. 3) A Baptist chapel was built at Frampton Mansell in 1923 by Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Clark of Downs Farm (fn. 4) and it continued in use in 1971 when the congregation numbered 24. (fn. 5)